Jup1ter

Biometrics Appointment in Alexandria, VA

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I figured I would write up a detailed description of my husband's biometrics appointment at the Alexandria, VA office in case anyone wants to go in being as fully prepared as possible. Before his appointment, I had looked around for information, but there weren't too many details listed on VJ nor the Internet in general.

We keep all documents relating to my husband's AOS case in a divided binder, so we knew we had everything we needed with us: his appointment letter and his passport. The appointment was for 11 am. We left from Fairfax, VA at 9 am and took the Fairfax County Parkway almost the whole way there. We got there at 9:45, there wasn't much traffic at 9 am, especially heading south. The building does not actually say USCIS anywhere on it, so make sure to look for the address number out front. Parking was very easy, there was no fee or gates, just an open lot right next to the building.

When we walked to the front door, there was a bit of a line. There were lots of signs clearly stating NO CELLPHONES, CAMERAS, OR RECORDING DEVICES. The officer was asking everyone as well, no phones at all were allowed, even if they weren't camera phones. We waited until we were one person away from the reception desk. An officer asked my husband what time his appointment was, he said 11. She told him they were not taking 11 am appointments yet, so we'd have to wait outside "next to the Fed Ex Box" lol. I was a bit disappointed because so many people have said that they arrived early and were taken right away.

So we sat on the curb for about 20 minutes and just talked about errands we have to do and our upcoming vacation, etc. I noticed the line was completely gone, but there were about 7 people standing around outside, although only one was near the Fed Ex box like we were, haha. So I told my husband to pop in and ask if they were ready to start accepting the next batch of appointments (but not mention that we were still about an hour early). The officer said sure and handed him a clipboard with forms to fill out. I noticed that as soon as we didn't come back out of the front door, the other people waiting got in line. The officer asked if my husband needed me to fill out his form, and we said yes (only because his handwriting is so sloppy). The officer said that was fine but when we were done with the form, I had to go back outside and wait, while my husband took the form to the second reception desk and waited in a huge room full of people. I thought I was in for a looooooong wait outside haha.

NOTE: when filling out the form, look at the top of your appointment letter. It will have your "A number" on it. My husband didnt have one when we were filling out his whole AOS application, so I put "none" but luckily an officer noticed and helped me correct it. Also, when the form asks for application/receipt number, ONLY put down the receipt numbers from your I-485 and/or I-765. PLEASE CHECK YOUR APPOINTMENT LETTER, it will tell you if are having both done in one trip or just one done at that time. Obviously, if your letter only mentions the I-485 biometrics, then only put your receipt number for that application. Your receipt numbers WILL be on the appointment letter.

So once we finished the form, I went outside and got comfortable on a bench under a tree and started reading a book I brought. My husband moved on into the second waiting room and took a number - 690. They were currently serving 660, so he was prepared to wait a long time, but he said that the numbers were being called really fast. When his number was called, he went up, had both sets of fingerprints done (485 and 765) and then had his picture taken. He said the officer was kind of crabby, but didn't take it out on him, and even let him approve the picture before finalizing it.

THEN, the officer told my husband "You'll get your green card in about 30 days." I was surprised when I heard this later, because I thought it was typically three months or more. I told my husband not to get too excited, because 30 days from now would mean that it would only be about two months total from turning in the EAD application to having the card in the hand. But he is already browsing and networking for job contacts so that when the card does arrive, he will be ready to go.

All in all, from the moment we received the form to fill out from the reception desk to when my husband walked out the front door, it took about 40 minutes tops, despite how crowded it seemed.

Good luck to everyone else, and please feel free to ask a question here or privately, even if you don't live in the DC area! I'll try to answer as best I can.

AOS / EAD

06/23/2007 - Received medical exam from Civil Surgeon in Fairfax, VA

06/25/2007 - Confirmed negative TB skin test, picked up sealed I-693 and supplemental form from Civil Surgeon

06/27/2007 - Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765) to Chicago lockbox (LaSalle address) via Fed Ex

06/28/2007 - AOS packaged delivered and signed for in Chicago

07/06/2007 - NOA1 for I-130, I-485 and I-765

07/09/2007 - Touched (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

07/10/2007 - Checks cashed (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

07/13/2007 - Received NOA1 letters for I-130, I-485 and I-765 in the mail

07/14/2007 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail

07/31/2007 - Biometrics appointment in Alexandria, VA

07/31/2007 - I-485 and I-765 touched

09/06/2007 - I-765 touched

09/06/2007 - EAD card production ordered

09/11/2007 - Received two more e-mails stating EAD card production ordered on this date. Huh?!?

09/14/2007 - I-765 touched

09/15/2007 - EAD arrived in the mail

03/24/2008 - Received interview appointment letter in the mail

05/13/2008 - Interview appointment in Fairfax, VA

05/13/2008 - AOS APPROVED! Received stamp in passport

05/13/2008 - Card production ordered

05/22/2008 - Green card arrived in mail!

02/13/2010 - Will apply for removal of conditions of permanent residency

And now it's dark. I look to you to light my heart. I'm between the moon and where you are... I know you can't be far.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for the detailed review and the tips on how to fill the papers. I wouldn't have thought that I would have an A number since I'm in the same situation as you are.

I hope what the agent said is true and that you'll get a speedy approval :)

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline

Thanks Cécy! I hope everything goes fast for you as well, so you can get started on that job you have waiting! :thumbs:

AOS / EAD

06/25/2007 - Confirmed negative TB skin test, picked up sealed I-693 and supplemental form from Civil Surgeon

06/27/2007 - Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765) to Chicago lockbox (LaSalle address) via Fed Ex

09/11/2007 - Received two more e-mails stating EAD card production ordered on this date. Huh?!?

And now it's dark. I look to you to light my heart. I'm between the moon and where you are... I know you can't be far.

Nice post, thanks for sharing. I am sure others will benefit from reading this :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline
I figured I would write up a detailed description of my husband's biometrics appointment at the Alexandria, VA office in case anyone wants to go in being as fully prepared as possible. Before his appointment, I had looked around for information, but there weren't too many details listed on VJ nor the Internet in general.

We keep all documents relating to my husband's AOS case in a divided binder, so we knew we had everything we needed with us: his appointment letter and his passport. The appointment was for 11 am. We left from Fairfax, VA at 9 am and took the Fairfax County Parkway almost the whole way there. We got there at 9:45, there wasn't much traffic at 9 am, especially heading south. The building does not actually say USCIS anywhere on it, so make sure to look for the address number out front. Parking was very easy, there was no fee or gates, just an open lot right next to the building.

When we walked to the front door, there was a bit of a line. There were lots of signs clearly stating NO CELLPHONES, CAMERAS, OR RECORDING DEVICES. The officer was asking everyone as well, no phones at all were allowed, even if they weren't camera phones. We waited until we were one person away from the reception desk. An officer asked my husband what time his appointment was, he said 11. She told him they were not taking 11 am appointments yet, so we'd have to wait outside "next to the Fed Ex Box" lol. I was a bit disappointed because so many people have said that they arrived early and were taken right away.

So we sat on the curb for about 20 minutes and just talked about errands we have to do and our upcoming vacation, etc. I noticed the line was completely gone, but there were about 7 people standing around outside, although only one was near the Fed Ex box like we were, haha. So I told my husband to pop in and ask if they were ready to start accepting the next batch of appointments (but not mention that we were still about an hour early). The officer said sure and handed him a clipboard with forms to fill out. I noticed that as soon as we didn't come back out of the front door, the other people waiting got in line. The officer asked if my husband needed me to fill out his form, and we said yes (only because his handwriting is so sloppy). The officer said that was fine but when we were done with the form, I had to go back outside and wait, while my husband took the form to the second reception desk and waited in a huge room full of people. I thought I was in for a looooooong wait outside haha.

NOTE: when filling out the form, look at the top of your appointment letter. It will have your "A number" on it. My husband didnt have one when we were filling out his whole AOS application, so I put "none" but luckily an officer noticed and helped me correct it. Also, when the form asks for application/receipt number, ONLY put down the receipt numbers from your I-485 and/or I-765. PLEASE CHECK YOUR APPOINTMENT LETTER, it will tell you if are having both done in one trip or just one done at that time. Obviously, if your letter only mentions the I-485 biometrics, then only put your receipt number for that application. Your receipt numbers WILL be on the appointment letter.

So once we finished the form, I went outside and got comfortable on a bench under a tree and started reading a book I brought. My husband moved on into the second waiting room and took a number - 690. They were currently serving 660, so he was prepared to wait a long time, but he said that the numbers were being called really fast. When his number was called, he went up, had both sets of fingerprints done (485 and 765) and then had his picture taken. He said the officer was kind of crabby, but didn't take it out on him, and even let him approve the picture before finalizing it.

THEN, the officer told my husband "You'll get your green card in about 30 days." I was surprised when I heard this later, because I thought it was typically three months or more. I told my husband not to get too excited, because 30 days from now would mean that it would only be about two months total from turning in the EAD application to having the card in the hand. But he is already browsing and networking for job contacts so that when the card does arrive, he will be ready to go.

All in all, from the moment we received the form to fill out from the reception desk to when my husband walked out the front door, it took about 40 minutes tops, despite how crowded it seemed.

Good luck to everyone else, and please feel free to ask a question here or privately, even if you don't live in the DC area! I'll try to answer as best I can.

Thanks very much - I have my biometrics interview at Alexandria next week, so this is very handy!! Good Luck!!

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

John Stuart Mill

THEN, the officer told my husband "You'll get your green card in about 30 days." I was surprised when I heard this later, because I thought it was typically three months or more.

The people at the biometrics know jack-####### about when your Green Card will be approved. You can ignore this comment, the guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Thanks for the detailed review and the tips on how to fill the papers. I wouldn't have thought that I would have an A number since I'm in the same situation as you are.

Have you looked on the NOA1 for your I-130? The A-number is on that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

And it should be on the I-485 NOA1 as well, from what I recall.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

WHoops, I actually meant I-485. Its not on the I-130 NOA1 (at least its not on mine).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

WHoops, I actually meant I-485. Its not on the I-130 NOA1 (at least its not on mine).

I didn't think about that. I found it thanks.

I didn't know I was going to have one to be honest since I came on a tourism visa... :whistle:

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

If you didn't already have an A#, you get assigned one as soon as you file for AOS. That number is used to identify your file at USCIS and eventually will be on your Green Card. Everyone who has filed AOS has an A#.

Having come over here on F-1 visa i don't have an A# either but glad to know to look for it on NOA. Thanks for the detailed review and congratulations

12.24.04 US Entry on F-1 Visa

06.30.05 Met Renee

03.17.07 Married!

AOS

07.24.07 Filed I-130 + I 1485

07.26.07 Package Received

gse_multipart60077.jpggse_multipart43945.jpggse_multipart39392.jpggse_multipart60125.jpgStarshipTN.jpg

Indie Frog Studios

Timeline
THEN, the officer told my husband "You'll get your green card in about 30 days." I was surprised when I heard this later, because I thought it was typically three months or more.

The people at the biometrics know jack-####### about when your Green Card will be approved. You can ignore this comment, the guy has no idea what he's talking about.

OOPS, I can't believe I wrote that! I meant to say the work permit, not green card. The fingerprinting officer told him the work permit would come in 30 days. We'll see how accurate that is, I'm not holding my breath haha.

And thanks for the info on the A# being on the NOA1, I had no idea that he would get one upon AOS application, I thought it was just upon AOS approval. I guess knowing is half the battle. :P

Good luck everyone!

AOS / EAD

OOPS, I can't believe I wrote that! I meant to say the work permit, not green card. The fingerprinting officer told him the work permit would come in 30 days. We'll see how accurate that is, I'm not holding my breath haha.

My comment is also true for the EAD, so please replace the word Green Card above with "EAD". The time it takes EADs to process has no relation on when you have your biometrics.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Timeline

But obviously the EAD cannot be approved and produced until Biometrics are taken, right?

Edited by Jup1ter

AOS / EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.