mozplay

Canada to US story

18 posts in this topic

Ok - so with 2 full pages of new posts to read - first here is my 'Crossing Story'.

I picked up the 10ft. U-Haul truck on Friday night in the middle of a small snow storm. Note to self - when driving a big azz truck for the first time - don't pick it up in the middle of a snow storm. The 10ft. is the smallest I could get for a one-way rental, so it's what I went with. However, I was sadly mistaken when I thought it would be like driving my old Bronco. After cutting one guy off on Warden Ave and nearly sideswiping a parked car on McNicoll I made it home seriously doubting I would be able to drive the 13 hours requied to make it all the way back to Baltimore.

Saturday - no snow storm thank goodness. Drove up to Newmarket to get all of my stored belongings. Was seriously worried that it would take me 26 (as opposed to 13) hours to get home as I was only doing 50 in a 70km/hr zone. Realized later of course, that the truck is in miles and I was doing 50 miles an hour - oops! :blush: Packed truck up and said a prayer to the packing gods that my belongings in the poorly half-packed truck would not slide around too much.

Sunday - planned on leaving at 5 a.m. RIGHT!! Left at 10:30 a.m. (feeling considerably better about my driving abilities) and crossed over into the US at the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit/Windsor) crossing. Here I need to pause and say ....

HUGE THANKS TO JEN&DARCY FOR THE ADVICE HERE!!!!

It was definately worth the extra four hours because as promised, I got the EA stamp!!! Yayyy!!! :dance: :dance: I called Ambassador the week before to ask about it and they said that it is not normally given out but that I should ask for it and it should not be a problem. Peace Bridge, by the way, said 'no way'!

Parking at the Ambassador was a 'drive-through' set-up which was fantastic as I did not have to back the 10ft monster up. Went inside with my passport (visa enclosed), mystery envelope, and list of items I was taking down. Left the x-rays in the truck. Waited for a while (there were a very many people pulled aside in Secondary). After waiting a while (but not being ignored) I was called up. I was used to train a new CBP so that was cool. They took my passport and envelope and was told to have a seat. Was called up twice, once to ask when I was getting married because the CBP officer wanted to ensure that I knew I had 90 days, once to do fingerprints, take a photo and give my destination address. Nobody ever asked for my x-rays or list of goods. They wished me luck and sent me on my merry way. Yayy!! Stapled in my passport now, opposite the visa page, is a little square of folded paper with the 'Employment Authorized' stamp (valid for 3 months) with all of my info.

Detroit was a mess trying to figure out and the roads were very bumpy (remember my fears about all the things sliding around??). Got caught in another snow storm in Toledo (I don't think they have snow plows there) and finally pulled off for the night just outside of Cleveland, Ohio. I-80 was a breeze to drive, I-76 I will never attempt in a truck again (too much up and down hillside roads coupled with a billion 18 wheel trucks, for my liking) and finally made it back to Baltimore at shortly after 6 p.m.

All in all, the 13.5 hours quoted by mapquest took me about 15.5 hours driving time. Not bad considering my stops at the POE and to stretch etc.

So - I'm home now - boxes all sitting everywhere - realizing that we are going to need bookshelves in a hurry. I could not be happier.

Now to go aggravate David all over again with the AOS paperwork .....

Muhahahahahhaahhahhaa!!!

Off to read the 2 pages of new posts!

Monique

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!! I drove the good old Uhaul from Halifax NS to the DC area. lots of fun I to left the maritimes in a snowstorm!! I got pretty cappy gas mpg, mosat likely becuases I avg 75 mph!! Glad the trip went well

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

EAD Stamp you say.. hmmmmm interesting.. I wonder now .. It may be worth a call to Calais and Holton to see if either one of those will issue EAD.

:) Thanks for that info!! And Congrads on the move!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad to here you had a safe drive down! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations, that's great news about the EAD :)

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Congrats! Will you still need a SS number to work, or is the EAD good enough?

Edited by jg_am

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

Good stuff - glad you had a safe trip.

***I-751 Journey***

01-02-2009 Mailed in I-751 application

01-12-2009 Temporary resident status extended for one year

02-03-2009 Biometrics appointment

Timeline

Congratulations and good for you! Yeah, those roads in Detroit are nightmares - every Winter/Spring the radios have a contest to find the biggest potholes - some of them have been known to swallow cars! Heck, even the potholes have potholes. I used to drive the interstates in and around Detroit regularly when I lived in southwestern Ontario - worst roads I have ever driven on in my life:-). Enjoy your new life in Baltimore and good luck on the rest of your visa journey:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

congrats!!

and ... thank you so much for the play by play. i'm going to be crossing the great ambassador bridge myself with my FI Visa in either March or April. glad to know that they know what they are doing there.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok - so with 2 full pages of new posts to read - first here is my 'Crossing Story'.

I picked up the 10ft. U-Haul truck on Friday night in the middle of a small snow storm. Note to self - when driving a big azz truck for the first time - don't pick it up in the middle of a snow storm. The 10ft. is the smallest I could get for a one-way rental, so it's what I went with. However, I was sadly mistaken when I thought it would be like driving my old Bronco. After cutting one guy off on Warden Ave and nearly sideswiping a parked car on McNicoll I made it home seriously doubting I would be able to drive the 13 hours requied to make it all the way back to Baltimore.

Saturday - no snow storm thank goodness. Drove up to Newmarket to get all of my stored belongings. Was seriously worried that it would take me 26 (as opposed to 13) hours to get home as I was only doing 50 in a 70km/hr zone. Realized later of course, that the truck is in miles and I was doing 50 miles an hour - oops! :blush: Packed truck up and said a prayer to the packing gods that my belongings in the poorly half-packed truck would not slide around too much.

Sunday - planned on leaving at 5 a.m. RIGHT!! Left at 10:30 a.m. (feeling considerably better about my driving abilities) and crossed over into the US at the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit/Windsor) crossing. Here I need to pause and say ....

HUGE THANKS TO JEN&DARCY FOR THE ADVICE HERE!!!!

It was definately worth the extra four hours because as promised, I got the EA stamp!!! Yayyy!!! :dance: :dance: I called Ambassador the week before to ask about it and they said that it is not normally given out but that I should ask for it and it should not be a problem. Peace Bridge, by the way, said 'no way'!

Parking at the Ambassador was a 'drive-through' set-up which was fantastic as I did not have to back the 10ft monster up. Went inside with my passport (visa enclosed), mystery envelope, and list of items I was taking down. Left the x-rays in the truck. Waited for a while (there were a very many people pulled aside in Secondary). After waiting a while (but not being ignored) I was called up. I was used to train a new CBP so that was cool. They took my passport and envelope and was told to have a seat. Was called up twice, once to ask when I was getting married because the CBP officer wanted to ensure that I knew I had 90 days, once to do fingerprints, take a photo and give my destination address. Nobody ever asked for my x-rays or list of goods. They wished me luck and sent me on my merry way. Yayy!! Stapled in my passport now, opposite the visa page, is a little square of folded paper with the 'Employment Authorized' stamp (valid for 3 months) with all of my info.

Detroit was a mess trying to figure out and the roads were very bumpy (remember my fears about all the things sliding around??). Got caught in another snow storm in Toledo (I don't think they have snow plows there) and finally pulled off for the night just outside of Cleveland, Ohio. I-80 was a breeze to drive, I-76 I will never attempt in a truck again (too much up and down hillside roads coupled with a billion 18 wheel trucks, for my liking) and finally made it back to Baltimore at shortly after 6 p.m.

All in all, the 13.5 hours quoted by mapquest took me about 15.5 hours driving time. Not bad considering my stops at the POE and to stretch etc.

So - I'm home now - boxes all sitting everywhere - realizing that we are going to need bookshelves in a hurry. I could not be happier.

Now to go aggravate David all over again with the AOS paperwork .....

Muhahahahahhaahhahhaa!!!

Off to read the 2 pages of new posts!

Monique

Our roads are easy to figure out if you live here (heh) :)

Congratulations and good for you! Yeah, those roads in Detroit are nightmares - every Winter/Spring the radios have a contest to find the biggest potholes - some of them have been known to swallow cars! Heck, even the potholes have potholes. I used to drive the interstates in and around Detroit regularly when I lived in southwestern Ontario - worst roads I have ever driven on in my life:-). Enjoy your new life in Baltimore and good luck on the rest of your visa journey:-).

Truist me.. they've gotten a lot better since you've been here... most of them have been reconstructed by now... just a few lonely stretches left... but what do you want when you have the worst soil conditions to support roads and the most freeze thaw cycles than anywhere else on the planet...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Our roads are easy to figure out if you live here (heh) :)

Zyggy .. I was wondering if this could be your home base. This POE was a lot different from other offices I have been in (Niagara crossing). Everyone who worked there seemed to be friends .. it was nice to see.

I forgot to add in my report that I paid the $6 as well for processing I guess.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline
7, 03:04 PM']Congratulations and good for you! Yeah, those roads in Detroit are nightmares - every Winter/Spring the radios have a contest to find the biggest potholes - some of them have been known to swallow cars! Heck, even the potholes have potholes. I used to drive the interstates in and around Detroit regularly when I lived in southwestern Ontario - worst roads I have ever driven on in my life:-). Enjoy your new life in Baltimore and good luck on the rest of your visa journey:-).

Truist me.. they've gotten a lot better since you've been here... most of them have been reconstructed by now... just a few lonely stretches left... but what do you want when you have the worst soil conditions to support roads and the most freeze thaw cycles than anywhere else on the planet...

Well, glad to hear that! Yeah, the freeze/thaw cycle is horrendous there, plus they handle an incredible volume of heavy traffic, especially many of the 18 wheelers who travel regularly back and forth between Canada and the US. I know that Windsor was also spending a huge amount of money on regular road maintenance and repair and questioning why the Windsor tax payers should foot the bill since the majority of the damage was caused by the International truck traffic. Actually, they were working on reconstruction on I-96 and I-94 while I was still in Ontario and I always had to check the construction lists on line before I travelled to the US to see if I needed to find alternative routes to my destination.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

MO! What a story! You're like a pioneer who travelled over rough terraine and finally made it! I'm opeing a beer in your honour. (And forwarding your name to the Pentagon because you could probably go to Iraq and solve all the problems!)

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.