Ta Ta

Vaccinations there or here ?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

My fiance needs vaccinations. What are the pros and cons about where to

get them ? I know they are only needed for AOS but what is the point of

getting them while at the medical before the interview ?

Can he get them from any doctor in his town and then bring the vaccination record to the

medical exam ?

If yes will they transfer this onto the DS 3025 and/or I-693 ?

I don't know what would be better. Getting them here or there. I have no idea of the

cost difference and I would hate for him to fly with a sore arm but want to get it over with.

Any suggestions ?

Would anyone have done it differently than they did ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Technically the vaccinations aren't supposed to be needed until the Adjustment of Status in the U.S. But here in Ghana, I guess the consulate has the power to override that and requires K-1ers to get their vaccinations before the visa is issued. At first I was angry that they are doing it differently in Ghana than everywhere else, but then I looked into costs of vaccinations. It's definitely a lot cheaper to do the vaccinations here than in the U.S. It is about $120 to do the shots here, versus $500 or more in the U.S.

He did have to get the vaccinations from specific doctors, though. The consulate sent a list in packet 4.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Technically the vaccinations aren't supposed to be needed until the Adjustment of Status in the U.S. But here in Ghana, I guess the consulate has the power to override that and requires K-1ers to get their vaccinations before the visa is issued. At first I was angry that they are doing it differently in Ghana than everywhere else, but then I looked into costs of vaccinations. It's definitely a lot cheaper to do the vaccinations here than in the U.S. It is about $120 to do the shots here, versus $500 or more in the U.S.

He did have to get the vaccinations from specific doctors, though. The consulate sent a list in packet 4.

Seems strange since USCIS clearly indicates that by law, vaccinations are not required for K1 visas.

In any event, there are plenty of civil surgeons in the US - there's no reason you would need to pay $500 but it does make sense to compare the cost at the medical vs. where you will live in the US.

Seems strange since USCIS clearly indicates that by law, vaccinations are not required for K1 visas.

In any event, there are plenty of civil surgeons in the US - there's no reason you would need to pay $500 but it does make sense to compare the cost at the medical vs. where you will live in the US.

I somewhat beg to differ because even though vaccinations are not required for K1 visas, they are required for the AOS. Although I am sure that you may find a civil surgeon in the US who will charge less than $500, I'm betting that you could get in done for cheaper in your native country. If have time, call around and do some research before making a decision. Cheers!!! - Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Can my fiance get the shots from his own doctor now and then take the

vaccination record to the medical interview/examination ? Then they would transfer

the info to the DS3025? I am still confused. It would be easier and cheaper for him to

get it accomplished before his flight to the embassy in Senegal.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was with melinda at the Medical at St. Lukes last week, we elected to have her get the vaccinations after she comes to the US. This way we can make sure that our own doctor gives us advice on the shots and whether or not they should all be taken at the same time or spaced out over some months to minmize shock to the immune system.

Rob and Melinda

I-129F

Filed New I-129F form with IMBRA June 19, 2006

NOA 1 June 26, 2006

Touched July 3, 2006

I-129F Approved by E mail August 21, 2006, Just 63 Days

NOA 2 for I-129F Received in the Mail August 26th, 2006

I-129F at NVC

Case Number assigned at NVC August 29, 2006 MNL2006XXXXXXXXX

NVC sends the I-129F to the Manila Embassy August 29th, 2006

Embassy in Manila Receives I-129F August 31st, 2006

Packet 4 Received by Melinda from Manila Embassy October 1, 2006

Interview at Us Embassy Manila, October 18, 2006

Visa Approved! Interview Completed.

Visa Delivered by DELBROS October 28th, 2006

October 30, 2006 Arrived back in LAX with Melinda, were going to Disneyland!!!

November 6th, 2006, Melinda and I are back home in Winslow Arizona loving Life!

Timeline

I somewhat beg to differ because even though vaccinations are not required for K1 visas, they are required for the AOS. Although I am sure that you may find a civil surgeon in the US who will charge less than $500, I'm betting that you could get in done for cheaper in your native country. If have time, call around and do some research before making a decision. Cheers!!! - Sheriff Uling

Right - the fact that vaccinations are required for AOS in the US has already been made clear in this thread. The fact that the Ghana consulate believes they have the authority to override US law is what I was questioning. Costs of vaccinations differ greatly, obviously. In Mexico, for example, it does not matter if you have vaccinations done by a local doctor and show the list at the medical exam. They will still require duplicate vaccinations (read = money directly in their pocket) and they are very expensive. After making phone calls to local civil surgeons, I found one in my city in the US who will do everything for my fiance for less than $200 - significantly less than the medical clinic in Mexico. Hence my advice to compare the cost at the medical vs. where you will live in the US.

Right - the fact that vaccinations are required for AOS in the US has already been made clear in this thread. The fact that the Ghana consulate believes they have the authority to override US law is what I was questioning. Costs of vaccinations differ greatly, obviously. In Mexico, for example, it does not matter if you have vaccinations done by a local doctor and show the list at the medical exam. They will still require duplicate vaccinations (read = money directly in their pocket) and they are very expensive. After making phone calls to local civil surgeons, I found one in my city in the US who will do everything for my fiance for less than $200 - significantly less than the medical clinic in Mexico. Hence my advice to compare the cost at the medical vs. where you will live in the US.

Very cool... Thanks!!!

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi KK,

Does that mean that we don't necessarily need to have the medical done at any of the 2 clinics in CDJ? From reading the forms in the Fiance Packet on CDJ website I thought we only had those 2 choices for K1 at Juarez. Also, does that mean that getting the vaccinations done in Mexico-and getting the required certs with them- would not be considered acceptable for AOS paperwork? I was thinking of doing that to save some money, but I wouldn't do it if I had to re-take them later anyway.

May 1996: Met in Mexico
K1
March 7th, 2006: Sent 129F to NSC
March 9th, 2006: NOA1 Day 1
June 15th, 2006: Notice of transfer to CSC
October 3rd, 2006: IMBRA RFE e-mail
October 17th, 2006 CSC e-mail confirming RFE receipt.
October 18th, 2006: NOA2!!!!!!!! 224 days!
October 25th, 2006: NVC received file
November 10th, 2006: Received Packet from CDJ
January 5th, 2007: Visa approved!!!! 302 days!
February 16th, 2007: Civil Ceremony
AOS
February 21st, 2007: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago
March 1st, 2007: NOA1 - Day 1
March 26th, 2007: I-485 transferred to CSC - Day 25
March 30th, 2007: Biometrics appointment - Day 29
April 14th, 2007: Big Wedding!!!!
May 8th, 2007: AP Approved - Day 68
May 10th, 2007: EAD Approved- Day 70
September 20th, 2007: SECOND Biometrics appointment - Day 203
December 4th, 2007: AOS approved!!!! 278 days!
December 10th, 2007: Received GC - Day 284
Removal of Conditions
August 31st, 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC
September 2nd, 2009: NOA1 - Day 1
October 15th, 2009: Biometrics appointment - Day 44
October 26th, 2009: 10 year GC approved!! - Day 55
October 31st, 2009: Received GC - Day 60

NATURALIZATION

May 7th, 2013: Mailed N-400

May 9th, 2013: NOA1 - Day 1

June 10th, 2013: Biometrics Appointment - Day 33

September 5th, 2013: Interview - Day

September 27th, 2013: Oath Ceremony- Day

Timeline
Hi KK,

Does that mean that we don't necessarily need to have the medical done at any of the 2 clinics in CDJ? From reading the forms in the Fiance Packet on CDJ website I thought we only had those 2 choices for K1 at Juarez. Also, does that mean that getting the vaccinations done in Mexico-and getting the required certs with them- would not be considered acceptable for AOS paperwork? I was thinking of doing that to save some money, but I wouldn't do it if I had to re-take them later anyway.

E - you do need the medical exam at one of the two clinics in CDJ. But the law does not require K1 visa applicants to have vaccinations done before receiving the visa - they are only required for K1s at the time of AOS in the US. Getting them done at the medical and the required cert will be acceptable for AOS.

The problem is that the clinics in CDJ appear to be in it for the money. From what I've read here on VJ and other boards, you can go to the clinics with your official vaccination record, indicating, for example, that you are completely up to date with everything, and they will STILL require you to get additional vaccinations (money in their pocket). You also have the choice to skip it altogether in CDJ and go to a civil surgeon in the Detroit area before AOS. My guess would be you could call around and find someone with lower fees there than in CDJ. Hope that helps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks KK, I read that about the clinics at CDJ too. What I was hoping I could do is have them done at my local "centro de salud"- where some of them are even free of charge- and take the certs later to the Detroit Civil Surgeon that will fill the forms required for my AOS.

I guess I'll make some phone calls and see if this would work too :)

thanks for your help again!

May 1996: Met in Mexico
K1
March 7th, 2006: Sent 129F to NSC
March 9th, 2006: NOA1 Day 1
June 15th, 2006: Notice of transfer to CSC
October 3rd, 2006: IMBRA RFE e-mail
October 17th, 2006 CSC e-mail confirming RFE receipt.
October 18th, 2006: NOA2!!!!!!!! 224 days!
October 25th, 2006: NVC received file
November 10th, 2006: Received Packet from CDJ
January 5th, 2007: Visa approved!!!! 302 days!
February 16th, 2007: Civil Ceremony
AOS
February 21st, 2007: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago
March 1st, 2007: NOA1 - Day 1
March 26th, 2007: I-485 transferred to CSC - Day 25
March 30th, 2007: Biometrics appointment - Day 29
April 14th, 2007: Big Wedding!!!!
May 8th, 2007: AP Approved - Day 68
May 10th, 2007: EAD Approved- Day 70
September 20th, 2007: SECOND Biometrics appointment - Day 203
December 4th, 2007: AOS approved!!!! 278 days!
December 10th, 2007: Received GC - Day 284
Removal of Conditions
August 31st, 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC
September 2nd, 2009: NOA1 - Day 1
October 15th, 2009: Biometrics appointment - Day 44
October 26th, 2009: 10 year GC approved!! - Day 55
October 31st, 2009: Received GC - Day 60

NATURALIZATION

May 7th, 2013: Mailed N-400

May 9th, 2013: NOA1 - Day 1

June 10th, 2013: Biometrics Appointment - Day 33

September 5th, 2013: Interview - Day

September 27th, 2013: Oath Ceremony- Day

Timeline
Thanks KK, I read that about the clinics at CDJ too. What I was hoping I could do is have them done at my local "centro de salud"- where some of them are even free of charge- and take the certs later to the Detroit Civil Surgeon that will fill the forms required for my AOS.

I guess I'll make some phone calls and see if this would work too :)

thanks for your help again!

Hmm - can't hurt to try, right? Maybe K can make a few calls (or you can on your next visit) and see if they would agree to this. Sure would save some money. Keep us posted on what you find out please!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.