Elena

Can K3 person apply for SSN right away?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think I read somewhere on VJ that K3 people can't apply for a SSN. Is that true? My husband just recently arrived here. His I-130 was approved too so we're debating whether to do AOS or CR1. Which route will give him the SSN and EAD sooner? That will help us decide which route to take. We're trying to establish evidence of our marriage but it's so hard to combine finances and establish a record for him when he doesn't have a SSN. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Elena

AOS

12/19/06 AOS and EAD applications recieved at Chicago office

12/22/06 file sent to CSC

2/14/07 touched

3/2/07 touched

3/5/07 touched

3/13/07 file sent back to MSC

3/14/07 touched

3/21/07 touched

3/23/07 touched

6/06/07 Interview

6/18/07 Notified through email that card was ordered

6/26/07 Recieved card in the mail TODAY!!!!!!!

EAD

3/20/07 EAD touched

3/22/07 recieved email that card has been ordered.

3/26/07 EAD card recieved in the mail.

Filed: Timeline

Well he can't be assigned an SSN as a K-3 without an EAD card and once he applies with the EAD card that status needs to be verified and that could take weeks or months.

He can check off on the DS-230 that he wants to be assigned an SSN when applying for the CR-1 visa. If he's lucky he will be assigned and receive the card within three weeks of entering the U.S. If not he will then need to apply at an SSA office and his status will also need to be verified, which could also take weeks or months.

Your call.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

No, as a K3 holder you cannot apply for a SSN until you have your EAD in hand. So you can choose to AOS and apply for EAD at the same time. That is what we did. We got our EAD card, applied for SSN at that time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

EAD is required first.

As a holder of a K2, K3 or K4 visa you must first have an EAD from the USCIS. You will be required to

show this to the SSA agency to be eligible to receive a SSN.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. Passport (with the K-2, K-3, or K-4 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. A valid EAD

Answer found in the guides. :guides:http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10096.html

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Okay, I see. We are leaning towards doing CR-1. Can he apply for EAD and do CR-1? Is that allowed? He's in the states now and wants to start looking for jobs while we wait for the CR-1. Who knows how long that will take. As long as he can work and can get a SSN, we don't mind waiting for the CR-1. For some reason, I'm thinking that applying for EAD is linked with AOS. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Well he can't be assigned an SSN as a K-3 without an EAD card and once he applies with the EAD card that status needs to be verified and that could take weeks or months.

He can check off on the DS-230 that he wants to be assigned an SSN when applying for the CR-1 visa. If he's lucky he will be assigned and receive the card within three weeks of entering the U.S. If not he will then need to apply at an SSA office and his status will also need to be verified, which could also take weeks or months.

Your call.

AOS

2/14/07 touched

3/2/07 touched

3/5/07 touched

3/14/07 touched

3/21/07 touched

3/23/07 touched

6/06/07 Interview

EAD

3/20/07 EAD touched

Filed: Timeline
EAD is required first.

As a holder of a K2, K3 or K4 visa you must first have an EAD from the USCIS. You will be required to

show this to the SSA agency to be eligible to receive a SSN.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. Passport (with the K-2, K-3, or K-4 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. A valid EAD

That wrong. The EAD card will be the identity document and you don't need the SS-5 when you apply in person at an SSA office. I say take the EAD card and birth certificate and you are all set to apply as a K-3.

Okay, I see. We are leaning towards doing CR-1. Can he apply for EAD and do CR-1? Is that allowed? He's in the states now and wants to start looking for jobs while we wait for the CR-1. Who knows how long that will take. As long as he can work and can get a SSN, we don't mind waiting for the CR-1. For some reason, I'm thinking that applying for EAD is linked with AOS. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Your call.

EAD process took 1.5 months back in april. SSN takes 4 weeks after that.

AOS between application sending (April 06) to interview (July 06) and green card in hand (first week August).

AOS is far easier than CR1 .

With all the AR/AP etc on CR1, who knows time time frame

Timeline

Really? AOS is easier? I was considering the CR1 because I thought it would require less face to face interaction, meaning that we don't have to keep going in to get fingerprints, to take photos, to do biometrics, etc. Or am I completely wrong? The CR1 only requires one trip back to his country to do the interview right? I was concerned about AOS because in order to get all of these tasks done, I would have to keep requesting time off work. The USCIS office is a few hours away from our hometown. It would be a whole day affair to make one visit to the USCIS office. I would rather go the route where I can do take care of most things online or through the mail and then just go in for the interview. What would you suggest in my case? I'm completely lost.

EAD process took 1.5 months back in april. SSN takes 4 weeks after that.

AOS between application sending (April 06) to interview (July 06) and green card in hand (first week August).

With all the AR/AP etc on CR1, who knows time time frame

Edited by Elena

AOS

2/14/07 touched

3/2/07 touched

3/5/07 touched

3/14/07 touched

3/21/07 touched

3/23/07 touched

6/06/07 Interview

EAD

3/20/07 EAD touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

About CR-1

* can work upon entry (no restrictions)

* This is an "immigrant" Visa and will as such allow the applicant to arrive in the US as a permanent resident.

* They will not require an Advanced Parole document to leave the US for travel or require an EAD to work.

CR-1 Tends to take a little bit longer but you will have the green-card and work authorization immediately without having to go through the AOS process. And should be able to apply for the SSN right away.

Look at the compare page here on VJ for a complete comparison of the options: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Can anyone tell me if AOS requires more visits to the USCIS office than CR-1?

AOS

2/14/07 touched

3/2/07 touched

3/5/07 touched

3/14/07 touched

3/21/07 touched

3/23/07 touched

6/06/07 Interview

EAD

3/20/07 EAD touched

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So far in our AOS Journey I have had to take Atif to a Biometrics appt. and now waiting for Our interview date. So it's looking like only 2 appts.

If we get the interview after Jan. 1, 2007 I will be VERY HAPPY...no removal of conditions as we will be married 2 years on Dec. 30th.

Good Luck!

Mary K.

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Can he apply for EAD and do CR-1? Is that allowed?

Yes, that's allowed. That's one way the K-3 was designed to be used.

The EAD normally IS a part of an AOS or other application. K-3s are special and can apply for it independantly. It does take about 3 months for the EAD to be approved, and a little longer than that for the SS#.

I don't know how you define 'easier', but having done an Immigrant Visa application and read about thousands of AOS cases (with a high percentage of screw ups and all the running around that the OP is concerned about), I disagree with your declaration. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 3 weeks later...

Can he apply for EAD and do CR-1? Is that allowed?

Yes, that's allowed. That's one way the K-3 was designed to be used.

The EAD normally IS a part of an AOS or other application. K-3s are special and can apply for it independantly. It does take about 3 months for the EAD to be approved, and a little longer than that for the SS#.

I don't know how you define 'easier', but having done an Immigrant Visa application and read about thousands of AOS cases (with a high percentage of screw ups and all the running around that the OP is concerned about), I disagree with your declaration. :)

I am speaking from first hand experience. EAD takes about 90 days. And if your spouse is placed on the AR/AP process overseas, then you are in for a surprise.

Screwups in AOS- Yeah I know people who forget to take evidence of relationship normally get screwed

No advance parole required on K3.

Biometrics takes less than half an hour and usually is offsite from USCIS.

Different people have different experiences. The chances of AR / AP at consulate overseas where you have no recourse are far higher

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.