18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I tried to get our bank to set us up as having a joint banking account however since my wife does not

have a social security number they would not let us. Has anyone else ran into this. When we got married they just took a number down I believe it was off the visa in place of a social and it just seems odd that their would not be a work around for this. We are working on getting both Names on everything for providing evidence of relationship at the AOS interview.

Also on another note we are both together and happily married.

Thanks everyone for your help.

By they I was talking about at the Court House when they were filling out the form for our Marriage liscense that is what the employee their did.

Met Online 10/08/2004

05/15/2005 Take 4 hour drive overnight to airport to catch early morning plane

05/16/2005 Arrive in Manila in the evening wait overnight in outdoor waiting area for early morning flight.

05/17/2005 A day and a half travel it is Wednesday Morning Philippine time Tuesday Evening my time zone me and my Fiancee finally meet face to face

at 6:30 in the morning!

07/21/2005 After much pain staking detailed effort and hours of researching petition is finally off! The waiting begins.

07/27/2005 Receive NOA 1

09/24/2005 Case status online shows approved! :o)

09/26/2005 Receive NOA 2 in the mail

10/26/2005 Case still not received by <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> repeated phone calles for the following month and a half.

11/09/2005 Told over the phone that NSC will be retreiving the file to resend to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

The waiting continues....

12/29/2005 Called <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> case is finally there. Woohoo

01/04/2006 Case arrives at embassy. The wait for the packet and interview begins.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
I tried to get our bank to set us up as having a joint banking account however since my wife does not

have a social security number they would not let us. Has anyone else ran into this. When we got married they just took a number down I believe it was off the visa in place of a social and it just seems odd that their would not be a work around for this. We are working on getting both Names on everything for providing evidence of relationship at the AOS interview.

Also on another note we are both together and happily married.

Thanks everyone for your help.

By they I was talking about at the Court House when they were filling out the form for our Marriage liscense that is what the employee their did.

Did you try Bank of America and or Bank of the West? When I first got here, J.R. able to add me on his bank account without SSN required, we just provide water bill that he put under my name. Bank of the West would just let you sign a paper if you don't have SSN yet.

11-1999---Meet in Taiwan

08-2002---Wedding in Philippines

10-2003---Enter U.S.A.

07-2006---10 yrs Green Card

11-2010---Proud to be U.S. Citizen :joy:

12 Yrs Married and counting (L) (L) (L)

IR5 (Mother)

01-16-2014---I130 Sent

01-21-2014---NOA1 Recv

02-22-2014---RFE Recv

02-27-2014---RFE Docs Sent

03-14-2014---I130 Approved

03-20-2013---Case Shipped to NVC

03-21-2014---NOA2 Approval Recv

04-01-2014---NVC Recv Approved Papers

04-30-2014---Sent email request to NVC for expedited process

04-30-2014---Case # and Invoice ID # assigned

05-02-2014---Recv NVC email asking for foreign contact # to complete expedited request

05-05-2014---DS 261 available and completed

05-07-2014---AOS show up payable and paid

05-09-2014---AOS Paid (shows processed 5/08/2014)

05-09-2014---Case Sent To US Embassy, Manila

05-11-2014---DS-260 Completed Online

05-12-2014---Case is READY!

06-25-2014---Medical Exam done in one day but ask to come back for Sputum test

07-07-2014---Interview Schedule @ 6:30AM Cancelled due to sputum test

07-08-2014---to 7-10-2014 (3 days Sputum Test) Negative result

09-09-2014---Sputum Final Result: (PASSED!!! 9-08-14 )

09-16-2014---Interview (221(g) for NBI a.k.a. name, I864 Orig. Signature & NSO verification)

09-25-2014---Documents sent via 2go

09-29-2014---221g documents delivered. & signed by L. Bernardino

09-30-2014---and 10-01-2014,Touched but still on AP

10-07-2014---Email sent to USEM

10-15-2014---Called USEM

10-16-2014---Sent Fax to USEM of approved expedited letter from U.S. Embassy General

10-21-2014---Touched but still on AP

10-22-2014---Visa Issued :joy:

"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy."

well i have a social security number and a marriage certificate but i still did not get adde to my husband's accounts

the reason given was that because they are a credit union and not a bank they cannot make joint accounts because my social security card has the notation "valid for work only with dhs authorization"

we were told that maybe a bank can do it but a credit union cant (does anyone know details as to why this is so?)

anyhow, we didnt ask any further questions, we are just gonna look for a new bank

after all the hassle of getting that ssn it's been useless so far...oh well

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the info I will be looking at my options.

Met Online 10/08/2004

05/15/2005 Take 4 hour drive overnight to airport to catch early morning plane

05/16/2005 Arrive in Manila in the evening wait overnight in outdoor waiting area for early morning flight.

05/17/2005 A day and a half travel it is Wednesday Morning Philippine time Tuesday Evening my time zone me and my Fiancee finally meet face to face

at 6:30 in the morning!

07/21/2005 After much pain staking detailed effort and hours of researching petition is finally off! The waiting begins.

07/27/2005 Receive NOA 1

09/24/2005 Case status online shows approved! :o)

09/26/2005 Receive NOA 2 in the mail

10/26/2005 Case still not received by <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> repeated phone calles for the following month and a half.

11/09/2005 Told over the phone that NSC will be retreiving the file to resend to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

The waiting continues....

12/29/2005 Called <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> case is finally there. Woohoo

01/04/2006 Case arrives at embassy. The wait for the packet and interview begins.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

We are banking with Wells Fargo. My husband was able to add me to his account BEFORE we even got married. They just put 000-00-000 as my social. That's what they even did at the driver's license place. I never had any problems with anything. Once I had my SSN, I called everyone up and told them to add it into their system.

Stefanie

Edited by Stefanie

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

i think there are banks that dont require ssn but let them know of your status. i will ask your address in the Philippines for their record.

My husband added me to his bank accunt with ssn.

good luck

Filed: Timeline

Why did you show the SSN card to the credit union??? why not just tell them the number..... I never carry my SSN card with me but I do know the number....

I was also able to be added to my husbands account without a SSN they just put 000-00-0000 and took a copy of my passport.... then all I have to do was tell them the number when I got it.....

Kezzie

the reason given was that because they are a credit union and not a bank they cannot make joint accounts because my social security card has the notation "valid for work only with dhs authorization"

What a bunch of #######. My credit union had no problem doing this!

To be honest though, I don't even remember showing the credit union either my or my wife's SS cards. They simply asked for the number.

BTW - I don't think its any of the credit unions business whether your going through AOS or not if you have a SSN. Personally I think the person who told you you couldn't do it was clueless.

My advice is to memorise your SSN (very useful) and go back there again and ask the same question, without showing them the card.

Edited by dr_lha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My reaction exactly. I actually gave the woman at my credit union my wife's SSN card, our marriage certificate, our AOS NOA1, her passport etc. to copy and keep. My wife's name was added on all our accounts (Savings, Checking, CDs, Visa credit cards) within a week and appears on our statements. (She also got her visa credit and the debit card within a few weeks.) Her SSN at that time was in the unmarried name.

So, I do not believe what your credit union told you - I suggest caling and talking to a 'supervisor' and getting her name added. I do not think it should be an issue at all. Good Luck

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Our bank filled out some sort of IRS (W7 maybe?) form in place of using my husband's SSN. We had applied for the ITIN number but just didn't have it in hand yet. We had no problems.

We have an account at another bank and they put us in as joint account holders but wouldn't give my husband an ATM card till he had a SSN.

yeah i think we'll give it another try, and hopefully somebody else will be working the front desk this time hehe

thanks for the suggestion! :thumbs:

no more showing my ss card ever again :D

To be honest though, I don't even remember showing the credit union either my or my wife's SS cards. They simply asked for the number.

BTW - I don't think its any of the credit unions business whether your going through AOS or not if you have a SSN. Personally I think the person who told you you couldn't do it was clueless.

My advice is to memorise your SSN (very useful) and go back there again and ask the same question, without showing them the card.

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.