rebex05

Travel During Filing Process

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

We did not realize that we would not be able to travel unless my husband's green card is valid for 6 months (which ruined Christmas plans). Then I just read that once the USCIS receives your application the send you a I-797C Notice of Action which stated "Your alien card is extended one year - employment and travel authorized." If you have that does that mean that my husband would in fact be able to travel for 2 weeks to see family this Christmas or do we still have to wait til he gets his permanent residency? Also is it risky traveling when we might be waiting for biometrics or an interview (assuming those are impossible to reschedule)? Thanks to all who shed any light on this subject.

03/16/03: Met the love of my life

01/24/06: Officially began our relationship

11/01/06: He proposed marriage :)

02/17/07: I-129F Sent to NSC

02/23/07: I-129F NOA1

02/28/07: I-129F NOA2 (found out while checking on-line)

03/02/07: Received hard copy NOA1

03/08/07: Received hard copy NOA2

03/13/07: NVC sent packet to La Habana

03/27/07: Telegram "sent" to fiance to pick up packet 3... never received

04/02/07: I contacted the "embassy" to find out status of case and set up pick up date

04/04/07: Fiance picked up packet 3

04/05/07: I called toll-free # here to set up appointment for my fiancé

05/10/07: Interview scheduled for 7:30AM... Visa Approved!!!!!!!!

05/14/07: Picks up passport/visa and brown sealed envelope

05/15/07: Paperwork for the carta blanca turned in

05/24/07: Carta Blanca received and bought plane ticket

06/04/07: Entry into the US... together again!!!!!!!

08/07/07: MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Yes, he can travel. I've left the US and returned twice with the extension letter. And if the new card isn't here by December I'll be doing it again. :lol:

WRT the biometrics..... what a lot of us have done is to do a walk-in when you receive your appointment letter. And I wouldn't put my life on hold just in case I'm called for an interview. That can be rescheduled also.

iagree.gif

Yes, he can travel. I've left the US and returned twice with the extension letter. And if the new card isn't here by December I'll be doing it again. :lol:

WRT the biometrics..... what a lot of us have done is to do a walk-in when you receive your appointment letter. And I wouldn't put my life on hold just in case I'm called for an interview. That can be rescheduled also.

OH MY GOD, I am panicking after reading this. We will be filing my husband's AOS removal of conditions approximately on Nov. 12th, since his residency expires Feb. 6, 2010. However, we have planned a trip to Mexico from Nov. 14th through Nov. 29th. This is a huge problem because I did not know you could not travel unless you have a 6 month validity on green card. Is this true? We didn't know that!!!!

Ooh no, someone please please answer me.

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

Filed: Other Timeline

Mexico and Cuba are as identical as AOS and ROC.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My husband actually called the USCIS to see if he could travel and he was told that his green card needed to be valid for 6 months (upon reentry into the USA). You might want to call them yourselves and see if this is the case, but unfortunately my understanding is that this is true for all green card holders. It does sound like you can travel once you get this letter (your AOS) that states this exactly. Sorry for the bad news, but do call them tomorrow and hopefully I am wrong. Good luck.

OH MY GOD, I am panicking after reading this. We will be filing my husband's AOS removal of conditions approximately on Nov. 12th, since his residency expires Feb. 6, 2010. However, we have planned a trip to Mexico from Nov. 14th through Nov. 29th. This is a huge problem because I did not know you could not travel unless you have a 6 month validity on green card. Is this true? We didn't know that!!!!

Ooh no, someone please please answer me.

03/16/03: Met the love of my life

01/24/06: Officially began our relationship

11/01/06: He proposed marriage :)

02/17/07: I-129F Sent to NSC

02/23/07: I-129F NOA1

02/28/07: I-129F NOA2 (found out while checking on-line)

03/02/07: Received hard copy NOA1

03/08/07: Received hard copy NOA2

03/13/07: NVC sent packet to La Habana

03/27/07: Telegram "sent" to fiance to pick up packet 3... never received

04/02/07: I contacted the "embassy" to find out status of case and set up pick up date

04/04/07: Fiance picked up packet 3

04/05/07: I called toll-free # here to set up appointment for my fiancé

05/10/07: Interview scheduled for 7:30AM... Visa Approved!!!!!!!!

05/14/07: Picks up passport/visa and brown sealed envelope

05/15/07: Paperwork for the carta blanca turned in

05/24/07: Carta Blanca received and bought plane ticket

06/04/07: Entry into the US... together again!!!!!!!

08/07/07: MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Don't panic! I re-entered the US four times within six months of my visa expiry and nothing happened! The only time it was mentioned was the 2nd last time, and all she said was "Have you applied for the new card?" I said yes and she sent me on my way. Your greencard is valid! The officer is mixing up the six month validity rule for the passport..... not the greencard. They cannot turn you away for this. That's like saying you can't drive because your car license plate/drivers license is set to expire in 3 months. It isn't going to happen.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Oh, boy . . .

You can return from Mexico the very day your green card expires. Seconds before midnight. That's what the expiration date means. The day it expires. It's not expiration day minus 6 months.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Oh, boy . . .

You can return from Mexico the very day your green card expires. Seconds before midnight. That's what the expiration date means. The day it expires. It's not expiration day minus 6 months.

Agree and did it myself too... went to Asia with my baby daughter (Hubby couldnt leave his job) 4 months before GC expired (so can't file ROC just yet) and backed to U.S. a month and a half later... just fine at the port of entry, and filing ROC now...

Nanggroe

Thanks so much to all for responding. I'm glad I got the info. sorted out. :thumbs:

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.