antda

N-400: Ant’s Naturalization Evidence and Information Submitted (3 year marriage rule)…

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

How are you? I haven't been on VJ for quite awhile, but am back now as I have just filed for the N-400 (Application for Naturalization). And boy, does it feel like the I-751 all over again, in terms of filling out the paperwork and submitting all the additional joint evidence (over 100+ pages of wasted paper there, and 95+ pages here…oh well…)! “Only one last stage to go before I’m done with the USCIS. I hope I get this right!” I think to myself…

Note: I wanted to file in August 2009, as that was the earliest I could file, based on the 3-year marriage to a US Citizen Rule. However, because of a delay in receiving my newborn son’s US birth certificate, I had to file in September 2009 instead, which I did recently, a few hours later after I picked up that crucial document in-person (6 week delay here due to USPS mailing error, sent to physical instead of mailing address…still waiting for his SSN Card which had the same mailing error…that’s another story….). “Better late than never, in submitting my naturalization application”, I suppose (though there isn’t really a deadline to file for the N-400, but I wanted to file early anyways).

Anyways, I was wondering if the evidence and information I have sent in (on September 9th), which is listed below (and written as such on the cover letter that I sent) is sufficient enough for my N-400 application:

Enclosed (for Ant’s N-400 application) please find:

• A 3-page cover letter

• The 10-page completed “N-400 Application for Naturalization” application form

• A check for $675 ($595 forms + $80 biometrics fees), to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

• Plus 95-pages of additional documents and evidence for my specific N-400 case.

My application is being filed (up to 90 days before the allowable ‘continuous residence’ requirement) on the basis that I have met all of the following naturalization requirements:

• I have been a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years and am at least 18 years old.

• I have been married to and am living with the same US Citizen for the last 3 years.

• My spouse has been a US Citizen for at least the last 3 years (US Citizen since birth).

On a personal note, I would like to become a US Citizen through Naturalization for the following reasons:

• (Reasons #1-3….Personal reasons…good thoughts here though…)

• 4) Immigration fees are high and frequently increase, which will be more hardship if I apply later

• 5) I want to end on a good experience with the USCIS, despite having unreasonable delays before

I have also enclosed the following general documents (copies/photocopies/originals) with my application:

Enclosed General Documents for all and/or most Naturalization Applicants

1)10yr Permanent Unconditional Resident Card (front side)

2)10yr Permanent Unconditional Resident Card (back side)

3)10yr Permanent Unconditional Resident Card USCIS Mailer (June 2009)

4) Receipt Notice of Action of I-751 Removal of Conditions (August 2008)

5) 2 Coloured US Passport-Sized Photographs

6) Note/Letter explaining my former country of nationality/citizenship as Canada

7) Canadian Citizenship Certificate and Citizenship Card

8-9) Expired Canadian Passport (with married last name notation)

10) Valid Canadian Passport (with married last name)

11-12) Note/Letter explaining my trips outside of the USA since permanent residency

13-15) Other documents (prefer not to mention here…but still relevant nevertheless)

As well, I have enclosed additional supporting evidence (copies/photocopies/originals), as I am

“Applying based on marriage to a US Citizen for at least three years”:

Additional Evidence of “Marriage to a US Citizen”

Current Marriage Certificate

16) US New York State Marriage Certificate of Ant and D

Evidence that your Spouse has been a US Citizen for the last three years:

17) US Birth Certificate of husband, D

18-19) New York State Enhanced (US Citizens Only) Driver’s License for D

2007-2011: New York State Driver’s License for Ant (Showing same addresses as D)

(both front and back sides, with former address on front sides and current address on back sides)

Lack of Joint Tax Returns

20-21) Note/Letter and Additional Legal Evidence to explain Non-Filing of Income Taxes for Ant and D

22-24) D’s Income Payment Letters/Statements

Joint Bank Accounts Statements

25-31) Checking Account Statements (7 Statements) (Bank 1)

32-33) Checking Account Change of Address Letters (Bank 1)

34) Bank Account Welcome Thank You Card (Bank 2)

35-36) Savings Account Statement (2 Statements) (Bank 2)

37-38) Checking Account Statements (2 Statements) (Bank 2)

Joint Housing Documents-(Home #1: July 2006-August 2009) (ASC: Buffalo, NY)

39) Home Purchase Agreement 2006

40) Lease Agreement 2008

41) Lease Agreement 2009

42) Rent 2007-2008 Reduction Letter

43) Rent 2008-2009 Reduction Letter

44) Electric Account Letter

45) Final Electric Bill

Joint Housing Documents-(Home #2: April 2009-August 2009) (ASC: Buffalo, NY)

46) Original Notarized Letter explaining our different physical addresses vs. mailing addresses

47) Real Property Transfer of Land Report

48-49) Land Survey and Receipt

50) Attorney Letter regarding land purchase and deed

51) Warranty Deed for Land owned

52) Home Purchase Agreement 2009

53) Mortgage Loan Application Processing Letter

54) Mortgage Loan Application Approval Letter

55) Mortgage Loan Commitment Letter

56) Mortgage Loan Commitment Letter Flood Zone Changes/Amendments

57) Town Building Permit

58) Homeowner Insurance Binder and Invoice

59) Automobile Insurance Identification Cards

60-61) Home Propane Purchase Agreements

62-65) Sewage Disposal System Letters and Permit

66) Certificate of Building Occupancy

67) Change of Address Confirmation Letter from USPS

Notification of Address Changes to the USCIS (as required legally to do such by the USCIS)

68-70) AR-11 (Change of Address for Ant) and I-865 (Sponsor Address Change for D) Application Forms

71-72) AR-11 to London, KY and I-865 to St. Albans, VT, USPS Mail Delivery Receipts

73) Receipt Notice of Action of I-865 Sponsor Address Change

Note: Notice of Action of AR-11 not received. Regardless, I assume USCIS updated my address

Baby/Child of Ant and D (Baby Aaron, Born: July 30, 2009)

74-79) Medical Notes of 3 Prior Pregnancies and 3 Prior Miscarriages

80-82) Medical Notes of Recent 1 Pregnancy, with Baby due July 2009

83) Medical Note to USCIS, due to I-751 delays, explaining complications of recent pregnancy

84) Note/Letter about travel during risky pregnancy to borrow money needed for naturalization

85) Hospital Announcement Certificate for Baby Aaron

86) Crib Card and Immunization Record Card for Baby Aaron

87) Newspaper Announcement for Son born to Ant and D

88) Church Announcement for the birth of our Son

89-90) Church Flyer Mailer and Church Clerk Record of our Son

91) WIC Program Identification Card for Baby Aaron

92) Application for US Birth Certificate and SSN for Baby Aaron

93) US Birth Certificate/Certified Transcript of Birth of Son, Aaron

94-95) Family Photographs of D, Ant, and Aaron

Am I missing anything else? Is there anything else I need to make a note of and/or additionally include for the interview or at any other part of the N-400 application process?

Hopefully I don’t get an rfe or have any other additional delays or any other problems during this stage of the immigration game (lol…any more delays again…I swear I’ll be posting a “baby #2 first or citizenship first” post here on vj…just kidding…unless…..)…

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, feedback, advice, humour, jokes, or anything else is greatly appreciated from the VJ community. Thank you.

Ant (N-400 Sent….Now the waiting continues…US Citizen….Here I become!)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hey Ant!! Glad to see you're there, with the list you've prepared, I think you'll not even need to take an interview, lol!! You're more than good to go ;)

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 TIMELINE / NYC District Office

03/10/09--------SENT

03/16/09--------NOA priority date

03/24/09--------NOA DATE

04/01/09--------FP notice date

04/14/09--------FP DATE

06/01/09--------IL notice date

07/23/09--------IL DATE -----APPROVED

08/04/09--------Oath --------US CITIZEN

08/04/09--------Applied for passport

08/14/09--------Received passport

Hi Tini27 and Everyone,

Glad to see you (and all other VJers) here too! And yes, I'm glad to be finally able to file the N-400! (with 100+ pages of stuff....sigh..)

Lol..I guess I'm still in "I-751 mode"., be it that it only seemed like yesterday...sending anything and everything I can think of in "joint names"....

Does this "joint names mode" apply for the N-400 too?

After all, one never really knows what the USCIS wants paperwork-wise... Better safe than sorry with the...:devil:

Sigh..wish I could skip the interview stage..it would save me the time and the gas money going long-distance to my "local" USCIS office...Oh well...I'm sure I'll be prepared for that (whenever that may be, soon I hope...paperwork and all!).

Hope they don't give me problems this time around, interview or not... :whistle:

Ant

P.S. By the way, forgot to mention: Would have sent the Baby in the mail too...(just kidding)....Will bring him to biometrics, the interview, and the oath, though..so we'll see what the USCIS thinks of the "real life human evidence" then....(lol..can't find anyone else to babysit anyways, so will have to bring him, whether they like it or not...)

Hey Ant!! Glad to see you're there, with the list you've prepared, I think you'll not even need to take an interview, lol!! You're more than good to go ;)
Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Looks like "overkill" except you seem to be missing one of the most important things.

Joint filing of taxes.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Hi Haole and Everyone,

No problem...Covered the tax issue here..

Lack of Joint Tax Returns

20-21) Note/Letter and Additional Legal Evidence to explain Non-Filing of Income Taxes for Ant and D

22-24) D’s Income Payment Letters/Statements

Basically, we don't need to file tax returns....(and yes, it's legal)...because of our "unique situation"....

Why file taxes when one doesn't have to legally? Dealing with the USCIS is bad enough, why deal with the IRS too?.... :unsure:

Besides, what are they going to tax me on as a homemaker/stay-at-home mom, who has no income? Lol...Dirty Diapers?...

Got my AOS and I-751 approved without tax returns before..(and with an explaination as to why this is the case)

So hopefully they won't give me any problems here either for the N-400....;)

Ant

P.S. "Overkill"...Hmmm...Lol...$675+...Now that's overkill! "They waste our money, I waste their time reading paperwork. It all works out well, as they have to work extra hard for charging so much!"... :whistle:

Looks like "overkill" except you seem to be missing one of the most important things.

Joint filing of taxes.

Edited by Ant+D+A

Hello Ant, some of your list are not necessary to send to the USCIS. Here's the list i sent ( listed in my 1 page cover letter)

1. copy of 10 yrs gc (back and front)

2. copies of joint monthly mortgage statement (1st and latest months only)

3. copies of tax statement and w2 for 3 yrs.

4. copy of husband's birth certificate

5 copy of marriage cert.

6. copy of divorce decree from previous marriage

7. copy of our state ID

8. copy of the refund check from the California State income tax

9. copies of our ID's from the health insurance

10. 2 passport size photos

And now getting ready for my interview on Oct. 19. In the interview letter they gave me a list of documents to bring on my interview, they're asking the same documents i submitted except the copy of my passport.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

All I sent was

photos (2)

check

copy of both sides of GC

USC birth certificate

Official Clackamas Country record of License and Record of Marriage

USC previous divorce certificate

3 years tax transcripts

my previous divorce certificate.

That is all they asked for in the instructions so why send them stuff they don't need but which they can find problems with.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Joint filing of taxes.

Eh, we filed only minimal:
  • N-400 + pair of 2"-square passport-style photos
  • copy of my US passport biodata pages
  • copy (both sides) of Pras' 10-year GC
  • copy of our marriage certificate
  • $675
No joint return, we got FP appointment already. Edited by Saddle Bronc

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Ant, actually everything from #25 on, with the possible exception of the change of address if it is for the most recent move and you hadn't filed it yet, is unnecessary. They have your whole file already which includes all of the I-751 material you submitted. Basically, all you needed to send in was exactly what was listed: N-400 application form, green card, front and back, two passport photos, USC birth certificate, divorce certificates of either partner, marriage certificate, last three years income tax transcripts, and payment. You could also include your son's birth certificate. All of the rest you would bring to the interview and if necessary, they would look at it. Now I know you don't need to pay tax, I believe you may still be required to file a return even if the income listed is '0' but I am not sure about that. Regardless, your tax information re your special circumstances would satisfy the taxation information.

While I overkilled my I-751 I only sent in exactly what was required for the N-400. I brought extra documents with me to the interview along with the originals of what I submitted, but she wasn't interested in any of it. She went through the actual application, reviewed the questions, wanted to see the original of my DL, green card and passport but none of the others. She went through and checked off everything that was on her list of what was requested and that was it.

You will not get any sort of request for evidence since you did include what was requested along with everything else. Good luck - I hope you get an early interview.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks too for your helpful replies! Glad to see you all here who are also going through and/or been through the naturalization process!

Walls1010-Thanks for posting the list of what you sent in. Your list looks good to me, as you covered the basics and a bit more there. Good luck on your upcoming interview in October and the rest of your N-400 journey too. By the way, what exactly did they ask for in your interview letter as to what to bring? What else did they mention in your interview letter?

Hello Ant, some of your list are not necessary to send to the USCIS. Here's the list i sent ( listed in my 1 page cover letter)

1. copy of 10 yrs gc (back and front)

2. copies of joint monthly mortgage statement (1st and latest months only)

3. copies of tax statement and w2 for 3 yrs.

4. copy of husband's birth certificate

5 copy of marriage cert.

6. copy of divorce decree from previous marriage

7. copy of our state ID

8. copy of the refund check from the California State income tax

9. copies of our ID's from the health insurance

10. 2 passport size photos

And now getting ready for my interview on Oct. 19. In the interview letter they gave me a list of documents to bring on my interview, they're asking the same documents i submitted except the copy of my passport.

Lansbury- Thanks for posting the list of what you sent in too. Your list looks good to me, as you covered the basics that they asked for, so you shouldn't have any problems there. Lol...as for sending in more stuff on my end....not sure if they can find any problems with that, really. The only thing I can think of is that they say "you sent in too much stuff, Ant". And I'm sure they can't deny my case just because I sent in too many things, as there is no rule about such stated as to a limit of evidence to be sent in. Makes for good conversation too amongst the USCIS staff....Oh I can see it now..."We've never had a case like this with so much evidence...What was she thinking of?...."...(and I'll answer that when asked during the interview...)....Good luck with the rest of your N-400 journey too.

All I sent was

photos (2)

check

copy of both sides of GC

USC birth certificate

Official Clackamas Country record of License and Record of Marriage

USC previous divorce certificate

3 years tax transcripts

my previous divorce certificate.

That is all they asked for in the instructions so why send them stuff they don't need but which they can find problems with.

SaddleBronc-Thanks for posting the list of what you sent in too. Your list looks good to me, as you covered the basics that they asked for, so you shouldn't have any problems there. Phew..I'm glad to know I'm the only one that didn't submit tax returns with my N-400 application. So I hope that like you, I will also get a fp appointment (and eventually an interview and oath), despite not having such. By the way, if you are filing under the marriage rule, shouldn't you include the following too with your application: tax returns (if applicable), lease/mortgage, prior marriages (if applicable), birth certificates of children (if applicable)? Oh well, of they do ask for this additional evidence later, maybe you can submit it during the interview? Glad that despite that, you got your fp appointment already. Good luck with your upcoming biometrics appointment and the rest of your N-400 journey too.

[*]N-400 + pair of 2"-square passport-style photos

[*]copy of my US passport biodata pages

[*]copy (both sides) of Pras' 10-year GC

[*]copy of our marriage certificate

[*]$675

No joint return, we got FP appointment already.

Ant

Hi Everyone and Kathryn41,

Thanks too for your helpful reply! By the way, are you a dual Canadian/US Citizen yet? If you are, congratulations for being such already! How was the interview and oath experience for you? Have you travelled back (or plan to travel back sometime) to Canada since you became a US Citzen?

For the change of address, yes, that was a recent move. I did file for the AR-11 and my husband/sponsor filed for the I-865 in August. My husband received a receipt for the I-865, but I did not receive such for the AR-11. I wasn't sure if they updated my address really, and I don't want to get in trouble for then claiming that I have not sent such, even though I did. So hence, I sent a copies of my sent AR11 and I-865 for my N-400, just in case...

Yes, I am aware that they have all my immigration paperwork, since day 1....But I never know if they have lost my paperwork and files along the way (lol..though 100+ pages of paperwork placed neatly in an acco folder is not hard to miss...). So even if some of the information is duplicated, it doesn't matter anyways. Lol...they ask everyone to submit pretty much the same stuff over and over again anyways, so they should expect duplicates for further stages of the game, along with a few extra updated pieces of paper with information. I sent in copies of what they asked for though (application form, green card, passport photos, usc spouse's birth certificate, no divorces here...so no divorce certs., marriage cetificate, son's birth certificate), so I satisfied the requirements there. The only thing I was missing for the N-400 was the tax returns, which I did explain about (and which they were ok with before when they asked for such during the AOS and I-751 as I did not provide such then but was approved nevertheless). So hopefully, my explaination will satisfy their tax return requirements for this N-400 stage of the game too, like it did before.

Lol..I admit, I have never filed a tax return here in the USA, as again, from what I've read, I have no legal need for such, and do not want to be bothered with such. The last tax returns I filed were in Canada, when I was a student with no income, and did not legally need to file a tax return, but did such anyways. Well, that backfired on me...As after I moved to the USA, I still had to deal with the Canadian government, and I had a hard time getting rid of them, despite telling them that I moved and don't need to file taxes in Canada anymore. Lol..Oh and not to mention Elections Canada and Jury Duty Notices in Canada, which I had to remind the government again that I had moved...(I posted about all of this on VJ before in the Canadian forum). The point is: Once I deal with one governement agency, I can't get rid of them, no need for that extra stress in my life! So why bother dealing with the IRS here in the USA for me? Once I send them a return, even if it says "0" on it, they want more returns.....No need for the IRS for me!.....

Likewise, I overkilled my I-751 (which I posted about here on VJ too on the I-751 boards). I sent in what they required for the N-400, so I was covered there. I just wasn't sure if they would give me an rfe or dely or reject my application, despite sending in the minimum (lol...guess I've been reading too many "horror stories" here on vj..paranoid here...), so I sent in more than was required, just in case. And yes, like you, I'll bring the documents with me during the interview too, in case they ask for such, so I'll be covered there too. Oh, and I'll bring the baby too...."Human evidence"...sure worth more and more important than some lame old tax return!

As you said, I don't think I'll get an rfe for what I sent in (lol..unless they send rfes for too much evidence). But with my bad luck...who knows.....

"Expect the worst, but hope for the best", as I like to say...

Glad that you had no problems with your interview experience and that they didn't ask for any of the documents even though you had brought such with you. Good that you were prepared, regardless, as you never know what to expect from them. By the way, what questions did they ask you for the civics test portion of the interview? What other questions did they ask you during the interview? Did you have a good experience during your interview overall?

I hope I get an early interview and oath date too....Wishful thinking there.....But I'll see what happens next.....

Meanwhile, I'll keep on waiting, obsessively checking my mail, and updating here on VJ....

Ant

Hi Ant, actually everything from #25 on, with the possible exception of the change of address if it is for the most recent move and you hadn't filed it yet, is unnecessary. They have your whole file already which includes all of the I-751 material you submitted. Basically, all you needed to send in was exactly what was listed: N-400 application form, green card, front and back, two passport photos, USC birth certificate, divorce certificates of either partner, marriage certificate, last three years income tax transcripts, and payment. You could also include your son's birth certificate. All of the rest you would bring to the interview and if necessary, they would look at it. Now I know you don't need to pay tax, I believe you may still be required to file a return even if the income listed is '0' but I am not sure about that. Regardless, your tax information re your special circumstances would satisfy the taxation information.

While I overkilled my I-751 I only sent in exactly what was required for the N-400. I brought extra documents with me to the interview along with the originals of what I submitted, but she wasn't interested in any of it. She went through the actual application, reviewed the questions, wanted to see the original of my DL, green card and passport but none of the others. She went through and checked off everything that was on her list of what was requested and that was it.

You will not get any sort of request for evidence since you did include what was requested along with everything else. Good luck - I hope you get an early interview.

Edited by Ant+D+A

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
as for sending in more stuff on my end....not sure if they can find any problems with that, really.

I did post that tongue in cheek, unfortunately that could not be seen from the mere writing. :lol:

All you have to hope now is that you haven't so overwhelmed the person who has to review it all that they don't just give up and toss it all in the bin. :no:

Thank you for your good wishes and I too hope you have a speedy and easy path to naturalization. It's fun finally coming down the home stretch to what has been 3½ year journey, amazing how quickly it has gone since the day my wife sent in the I-130.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Hi Ant, here's the list.

N-659 Naturalization Interview Document Check List

1. You must be property attired and bring:

A. Your GC

B. A government issued photo ID

C. All passport and travel documents (expired and current) issued to you by any government.

D. Although not required, it is recommended that you bring additional passport-style photos

2. If your current name is different than the name on your GC bring:

The document that legally changed your name (e.g., marriage license, divorce decree, court

document).

3. If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, bring:

A. Proof that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least the past 3 yrs. (birth cert.,

naturalization cert. of citizenship, your spouse's valid US passport, or form FS-240, Report of

birth cert. abroad of a citizen of the USA), and

B. Your current marriage certificate registered by a civil authority; and

C. Proof of termination of all previous marriages for both of you (divorce decree, death cert.,

registered by a civil authority); and

D. An original IRS form 1722 listing tax information for the past 3 yrs, or copies of the income tax

forms you filed for the past 3 yrs; and

E. Proof of marital union as well as proof of residence; and

F. Certified copies of birth cert. of all your children born in the U.S.

4. If you have ever been in the US military, or are applying based on military service (see sections

328 and 329 of the INA) and have not submitted the 2 forms listed below with your N-400, bring:

A. An original form N-426, request for cert. of military or naval service; and

B. An original form G-325B, biographic information

5. If you have taken a trip outside the US that lasted for 6 mos. or more since becoming a

permanent resident, bring:

A. Evidence showing that you did not abandon your residence or terminate your employment in

the US nor abandon your US abode; and

B. An original IRS 1722 letter, listing tax information for the past 5 yrs. (or for the past 3 yrs)

if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a US citizen.

6. If you have taken a dependent spouse or children and have ordered to provide financial support,

bring:

A. Copies of the court or government order to provide finacial support; and

B. Evidence that you have complied with court order (cancelled check, money order receipts, a

court or agency printout of child support payments, or evidence of wage garnishment).

7. If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and

no charges were filed, bring:

An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court indicating that no

charges were filed.

8. If you have ever been arrested ir detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and

charges were filed, bring:

An original or certified copy of the record(s) arrest and the complete court disposition (dismissal

order, conviction record, or aquittal order).

9. If you have been convicted or place in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative

program, bring:

A. The sentencing record of each incident and,

B. Evidence that you completed your sentence, such as probation record, parole record, or

evidencethat you completed an alternative program or rehabilatative program. Copies must

certified copies from the issuing agency.

10. If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise

removed from your records, bring:

An original or certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or

otherwise removing the arrest or conviction.

Note: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another

personoccurred, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did

not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and//or points on

your driver license.

11. If you have any Federal, State, or local taxes that are overdue, bring:

A. A signed agreement from the IRS, State, or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax

return and have arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and

B. Documentation from the IRS, State, or local tax office showing the current status of your

repayment program.

12. If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement and have not submitted

form N-648, bring:

An original from N-648, medical certification of disability exceptions, completed by a licensed

medical doctor, licensed clinical psychologist, or licensed doctor of osteopathy.

13. If registered with the selective service, bring proof of such. If you did not register with the

selective and you are (1) male, (2) over 26 yrs old, (3) were born on or after January 1, 1960,

and (4) were a permanent resident between tye ages of 18 and 26 when you failed to register,

expalain your failure to register and bring:

A "status information letter" from the selective.

14. If you are rquesting expedition naturalization under section 319(B) of the INA through the military

service, bring

The US citizen's travel order that include the name of the alien spouse and establish that the

overseas assignment will end no less than 12 mos. beyond the date of the naturalization

interview.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Lansbury-No problem about the humour and didn't see anything wrong with it here....I like a good :)....Sorry that it got mis-interpreted in the writing though, which writing sometimes does, depending on how one reads it. I also like the way how you said "toss it all in the bin" too in your reply (yup...gotta love those British words/sayings..."bin/rubbish" sounds better than "garbage"). Lol...they better not just take the cheque/check (wondering: when are they going to cash that in) and toss the rest of my file in the bin/rubbish or try flushing it down the loo (though it might get clogged if they try)!

You're welcome about the good wishes, and again, I hope all goes well with your immigration journey too. So close, to the home strech indeed! It will all be over with the USCIS soon. Can't wait for that to happen!

I agree, those years go by quickly...Only seems like yeterday that we all just started....

So sit back, somewhat relax, and enjoy this last stage of the immigration game....

as for sending in more stuff on my end....not sure if they can find any problems with that, really.

I did post that tongue in cheek, unfortunately that could not be seen from the mere writing. :lol:

All you have to hope now is that you haven't so overwhelmed the person who has to review it all that they don't just give up and toss it all in the bin. :no:

Thank you for your good wishes and I too hope you have a speedy and easy path to naturalization. It's fun finally coming down the home stretch to what has been 3½ year journey, amazing how quickly it has gone since the day my wife sent in the I-130.

Walls1010-Thanks for posting the list of the documents required for the interview...:) This is certainly helpful, indeed, as I now know what they need documentation-wise when I go for that (whenever that may be...hopefully soon). From what you posted about what they want, in comparison to the list that I posted before, it looks like I'm covered there, since I have the originals of everything that they want that applies to my case and extra stuff too, which I will bring all of it for the interview. Heck, I even have the extra passport photos, since I took 4 instead of just 2 when I got those done recently. I'll also have to ask my husband to borrow his birth certificate for the interview (which he won't mind lending me for the day). Only exception..those darn tax returns...hopefully the explainations that I have will be ok here...

Oh and I'm also brininging the actual baby (not just only the birth certificate!)...should be interesting here too.....

Lol...Now, should I start packing those original documents already? There's room in the diaper bag.....lol...

Hi Ant, here's the list.

N-659 Naturalization Interview Document Check List

1. You must be property attired and bring:

A. Your GC

B. A government issued photo ID

C. All passport and travel documents (expired and current) issued to you by any government.

D. Although not required, it is recommended that you bring additional passport-style photos

2. If your current name is different than the name on your GC bring:

The document that legally changed your name (e.g., marriage license, divorce decree, court

document).

3. If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, bring:

A. Proof that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least the past 3 yrs. (birth cert.,

naturalization cert. of citizenship, your spouse's valid US passport, or form FS-240, Report of

birth cert. abroad of a citizen of the USA), and

B. Your current marriage certificate registered by a civil authority; and

C. Proof of termination of all previous marriages for both of you (divorce decree, death cert.,

registered by a civil authority); and

D. An original IRS form 1722 listing tax information for the past 3 yrs, or copies of the income tax

forms you filed for the past 3 yrs; and

E. Proof of marital union as well as proof of residence; and

F. Certified copies of birth cert. of all your children born in the U.S.

4. If you have ever been in the US military, or are applying based on military service (see sections

328 and 329 of the INA) and have not submitted the 2 forms listed below with your N-400, bring:

A. An original form N-426, request for cert. of military or naval service; and

B. An original form G-325B, biographic information

5. If you have taken a trip outside the US that lasted for 6 mos. or more since becoming a

permanent resident, bring:

A. Evidence showing that you did not abandon your residence or terminate your employment in

the US nor abandon your US abode; and

B. An original IRS 1722 letter, listing tax information for the past 5 yrs. (or for the past 3 yrs)

if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a US citizen.

6. If you have taken a dependent spouse or children and have ordered to provide financial support,

bring:

A. Copies of the court or government order to provide finacial support; and

B. Evidence that you have complied with court order (cancelled check, money order receipts, a

court or agency printout of child support payments, or evidence of wage garnishment).

7. If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and

no charges were filed, bring:

An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court indicating that no

charges were filed.

8. If you have ever been arrested ir detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and

charges were filed, bring:

An original or certified copy of the record(s) arrest and the complete court disposition (dismissal

order, conviction record, or aquittal order).

9. If you have been convicted or place in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative

program, bring:

A. The sentencing record of each incident and,

B. Evidence that you completed your sentence, such as probation record, parole record, or

evidencethat you completed an alternative program or rehabilatative program. Copies must

certified copies from the issuing agency.

10. If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise

removed from your records, bring:

An original or certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or

otherwise removing the arrest or conviction.

Note: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another

personoccurred, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did

not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and//or points on

your driver license.

11. If you have any Federal, State, or local taxes that are overdue, bring:

A. A signed agreement from the IRS, State, or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax

return and have arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and

B. Documentation from the IRS, State, or local tax office showing the current status of your

repayment program.

12. If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement and have not submitted

form N-648, bring:

An original from N-648, medical certification of disability exceptions, completed by a licensed

medical doctor, licensed clinical psychologist, or licensed doctor of osteopathy.

13. If registered with the selective service, bring proof of such. If you did not register with the

selective and you are (1) male, (2) over 26 yrs old, (3) were born on or after January 1, 1960,

and (4) were a permanent resident between tye ages of 18 and 26 when you failed to register,

expalain your failure to register and bring:

A "status information letter" from the selective.

14. If you are rquesting expedition naturalization under section 319(B) of the INA through the military

service, bring

The US citizen's travel order that include the name of the alien spouse and establish that the

overseas assignment will end no less than 12 mos. beyond the date of the naturalization

interview.

Ant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.