ao_cons

My interview experience and observations

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We got my visa without any problems. Now I'll post my interview experience and observations for others here as well.

Our interview hour was scheduled for 7:30am. We arrived about 30 minutes earlier than that. They wouldn't let my husband in but after explaining he had another purpose at the Embassy, they let us both in. Security will ask if you have a mobile phone and if so, you'll have to check that in . After that, it was straight to the Consulate area. There are signs telling you where immigrant and non-immigrant visa apps go. The interview area itself is a room with half a dozen booths in it. The windows are numbered, so you just go to your window number. During the pre-screening, they took my medical report and verified if I'd sent everything to the NVC (we did). There weren't many of us when I came in.

I waited about 45 minutes more. Several times they told my husband (who was in another area) to leave. That upset him because he wasn't even sitting beside me. He went outside of the sitting area and it looked like he was going outside. I was okay. I was more bored and tired than nervous. About 10 minutes later, I was the first to be called to the interview window. I wasn't asked a lot of questions. They didn't even ask me for proofs of relationship. I got fingerprinted and I signed the DS-230 II and then she told me when to pick up my visa. I went out and my husband was waiting outside. Turned out he'd demanded to speak with a supervisor and told them they'd better try to nuke the place to get him to leave. I guess they just wanted to get rid of him. :) We were done by 8:30am.

Next day, I got a call from a Thai gentleman from the Embassy and was told my visa was ready. We arrived on time. The security wouldn't let me in since the date on my pickup card was different and my name wasn't on their list that day. But I told them someone from the Embassy had called me and if my visa wasn't ready, then someone had to explain that to me. In the Consular Services area, I just handed in my card to someone in the booth. About 30 minutes later, the Thai man who'd called me was handing out the passports and paperwork. He explained he'd wanted me to come earlier in case I wanted my married name on the visa, instead of maiden name. But he assured me it won't be a problem and if I wanted my married surname added, I can contact the immigration officer in my district when in the US. He also gave us the sealed envelope and instructions for my SSN and removal of conditional status. He was very nice and courteous.

I got to chat with a couple of girls there too on our second visit. They were interviewed for about 10 minutes each. The questions weren't difficult, like "What does your husband do for a living?" or "Where did you get married?" So even if you get a longer interview, don't worry because it's not going to be tricky.

As for the guy who's supposed to be scary and unpredictable. I saw only one man and one woman in the immigrant visa windows. I didn't think either was particularly sly or offensive. These folks just want to get the job done and they aren't looking for a long story from you. In fact, it all feels very "routine." Just answer simply, and don't be nervous. It'll be OK!

My advice? Just get your SO with you if possible. Be firm when dealing with the Embassy personnel. Don't disrespect anyone, but don't let them disrespect you either. Even if you can't get to stay together for the interview (which is really simple), you can still make an impact on these people by acting like a "real" couple.

GOOD LUCK!

--------------

Timeline

Sounds like all the crazy things that have been going on at the US Embassy in Bangkok since the first of the year have gone away. Congratulations! This is good news for the people following you.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Sounds like all the crazy things that have been going on at the US Embassy in Bangkok since the first of the year have gone away. Congratulations! This is good news for the people following you.

:thumbs: Agreed.

Thanks ao_cons - - we have our interview coming up in BKK at the end of the month. I really appreciate your valuable intel!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
don't worry because it's not going to be tricky.
In regards to ANY consular interview, it is perilous to assume anything like this, going in! Consular personnel (and Immigrant Unit section chiefs) can be transferred in, and policies/procedures can be changed, all without warning. Expect and prepare for the VERY worst; be pleased when the worst doesn't happen.

That said, congrats on your visa, and thank you for telling your story. Your literacy is extremely refreshing to encounter here on VJ.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
We got my visa without any problems. Now I'll post my interview experience and observations for others here as well.

Our interview hour was scheduled for 7:30am. We arrived about 30 minutes earlier than that. They wouldn't let my husband in but after explaining he had another purpose at the Embassy, they let us both in. Security will ask if you have a mobile phone and if so, you'll have to check that in . After that, it was straight to the Consulate area. There are signs telling you where immigrant and non-immigrant visa apps go. The interview area itself is a room with half a dozen booths in it. The windows are numbered, so you just go to your window number. During the pre-screening, they took my medical report and verified if I'd sent everything to the NVC (we did). There weren't many of us when I came in.

I waited about 45 minutes more. Several times they told my husband (who was in another area) to leave. That upset him because he wasn't even sitting beside me. He went outside of the sitting area and it looked like he was going outside. I was okay. I was more bored and tired than nervous. About 10 minutes later, I was the first to be called to the interview window. I wasn't asked a lot of questions. They didn't even ask me for proofs of relationship. I got fingerprinted and I signed the DS-230 II and then she told me when to pick up my visa. I went out and my husband was waiting outside. Turned out he'd demanded to speak with a supervisor and told them they'd better try to nuke the place to get him to leave. I guess they just wanted to get rid of him. :) We were done by 8:30am.

Next day, I got a call from a Thai gentleman from the Embassy and was told my visa was ready. We arrived on time. The security wouldn't let me in since the date on my pickup card was different and my name wasn't on their list that day. But I told them someone from the Embassy had called me and if my visa wasn't ready, then someone had to explain that to me. In the Consular Services area, I just handed in my card to someone in the booth. About 30 minutes later, the Thai man who'd called me was handing out the passports and paperwork. He explained he'd wanted me to come earlier in case I wanted my married name on the visa, instead of maiden name. But he assured me it won't be a problem and if I wanted my married surname added, I can contact the immigration officer in my district when in the US. He also gave us the sealed envelope and instructions for my SSN and removal of conditional status. He was very nice and courteous.

I got to chat with a couple of girls there too on our second visit. They were interviewed for about 10 minutes each. The questions weren't difficult, like "What does your husband do for a living?" or "Where did you get married?" So even if you get a longer interview, don't worry because it's not going to be tricky.

As for the guy who's supposed to be scary and unpredictable. I saw only one man and one woman in the immigrant visa windows. I didn't think either was particularly sly or offensive. These folks just want to get the job done and they aren't looking for a long story from you. In fact, it all feels very "routine." Just answer simply, and don't be nervous. It'll be OK!

My advice? Just get your SO with you if possible. Be firm when dealing with the Embassy personnel. Don't disrespect anyone, but don't let them disrespect you either. Even if you can't get to stay together for the interview (which is really simple), you can still make an impact on these people by acting like a "real" couple.

GOOD LUCK!

:thumbs::thumbs:Wow, Good News.... Thank you so much for sharing this, it is so good to hear that things are not so bad now.... I was very worried about the interview process, but really feel much better about everything. Again, thank you very much for sharing this with us. :dance::dance::wow::D

K-1 Visa

San Jose California

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-30

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-10

NVC Received : 2009-03-13

NVC Left : 2009-04-20

Consulate Received : 2009-04-20

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-05-07

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-28

Interview Date : 2009-06-30

Visa Received : 2009-07-02

US Entry : 2009-07-04

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : touched 3/9/2009

Administrative Review at NVC

AP@NVC

Free at last left NVC

Embassy says they recieved it on same day it left NVC

Finally Got an Appointment Date Thank God

VISA ISSUED WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 70 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 182 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : San Francisco

POE Date : 2009-07-04

Got EAD Stamp : No

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : Very fast and very easy... The officer was very friendly and quick, he reminded us to make sure we marrry within the 90 days. total time maybe 10 minutes at most...

Finally got my baby!!! Thank you BKK; POE SFO was great

Timeline

Thakns everyone. :) Been busy packing our things.

As for expectations: Be prepared for the worst, but don't expect it. If you expect nothing but trouble, you may well get nervous and it'll show in your face and voice during the interview. We came prepared. I memorized everything, including my SO's passport, SS and bank account numbers. I even memorized things they might ask that can't be verified in the forms we filled out. We also brought about 30 sheets of email, 10 pages of chats, some phone records and about 60 pictures. Also, package receipts, movie tickets, restaurant receipts, gift stuff, etc. going back almost 9 years. We also had stuff like mails and chats with our families.

While you'd be smart to review for all kinds of possible questions, the reality is they won't have the time or inclination to ask you all of them. So don't get too nervous or excited. Easier said than done, but once you're there, you'll pick up on the general atmosphere there. BTW, the first time we went there morning. On our return, it was afternoon. Both times it was quiet and relaxed (at least to me).

--------------

Timeline

I was going to add in the details in the embassy review section: It would help to speak English well, but the other girls there got along fine and were approved even with limited English skills. Relax and go over your file. Get your answers ready for what you think might raise an issue. Get all your docs, ID photos and med exam ready. Beyond that, there's not much else to do but wait. Good luck to all!

--------------

Expect and prepare for the VERY worst; be pleased when the worst doesn't happen.

100% agreed. Our interview was super easy (even for Juarez) and completely painless but I don't regret for one second being "too prepared" (if there is such a thing).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I was going to add in the details in the embassy review section: It would help to speak English well, but the other girls there got along fine and were approved even with limited English skills. Relax and go over your file. Get your answers ready for what you think might raise an issue. Get all your docs, ID photos and med exam ready. Beyond that, there's not much else to do but wait. Good luck to all!

Just saw your post now. Great news, congratulations :dance: All the best for a wonderful future (F)

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.