J&C

Why so much?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

Firstly thanks again for all the help i recieved on this site. I am writing mainly because i just discovered that on top of the $170 we had to pay for i-129f i am to expect to pay a further £10 ($20) for police reports, £65 ($130) at the embassy and £160 ($320) for the medical, in London this is.

This is more than $600!! I am already in a state over the whole IMBRA mess and on top of the costs of travelling to be together AND condicting a relationship where when we are together only one of us can work, this is just one more thing that i didnt need.

Of course being together is priceless, but come on. This on top of everything else is just SOOO unfair. Why why should we pay both financially and emotionally for falling love?

Sorry for the rant, my question...are there any more hidden costs i need to budget for?

Thanks,

Jess

PS FYI Applying for K1, through London

K1 VISA

05/10/2006 Sent I-129f

05/20/2006 NO1

07/25/2006 Case Approved (81 days)

08/10/2006 Packet 3 Arrives!!

10/02/2006 Interview: Approved!!

10/06/2006 Visa in Hand

10/11/2006 Left UK

10/23/2006 Got Married!

AOS

11/18/2006 Filed

11/28/2006 NO1

12/15/2006 Biometrics

01/22/2007 Approved

01/29/2007 Green card in hand

EAD

11/18/2006 Filed

11/28/2006 NO1

12/15/2006 Biometrics

02/06/2007 Approved (Waste of money but might have been worth it!)

AP

Didn't bother

Done for two years hooray!!!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Hi All,

Firstly thanks again for all the help i recieved on this site. I am writing mainly because i just discovered that on top of the $170 we had to pay for i-129f i am to expect to pay a further £10 ($20) for police reports, £65 ($130) at the embassy and £160 ($320) for the medical, in London this is.

This is more than $600!! I am already in a state over the whole IMBRA mess and on top of the costs of travelling to be together AND condicting a relationship where when we are together only one of us can work, this is just one more thing that i didnt need.

Of course being together is priceless, but come on. This on top of everything else is just SOOO unfair. Why why should we pay both financially and emotionally for falling love?

Sorry for the rant, my question...are there any more hidden costs i need to budget for?

Thanks,

Jess

Just wait until you file for AOS, EAD and AP.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Don't put a price on love, stop thinking about it and letting it upset yourself. Because you have just begun, just wait more costs are coming. This is just one of the costs, plus some couples gave up a lot more than a little bit of money to be together.

Before you know it you will be past this process and happily married and paying regular bills.

Paula

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Tell me about it. Luis and I will start our lives totally broke. He's just out of college, I'm a law graduate and it will be a pain to validate my diploma and be able to sit the bar exam in Puerto Rico (will have to go back to law school), plus not even being able to work in other stuff while I can't practice law there (befor EAD). My parents are the ones that will pay for my AOS fees, actually. :crazy:

Edited by Luis&Laura

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

Thanks guys,

Especially for the projected costs of AOS etc. Its good for me to know as i am in a similar situation to L&L. I'm out of collage and have been working sporadically. My boy and I met travelling and have been eeking it out together for the past year. Thankfullly we have a good co-sposer!!

$600 isnt a lot to some but for us it represtents a significant save so its good to plan ahead a little. I will just concentrate on the happy future and start saving.

Thanks again

K1 VISA

05/10/2006 Sent I-129f

05/20/2006 NO1

07/25/2006 Case Approved (81 days)

08/10/2006 Packet 3 Arrives!!

10/02/2006 Interview: Approved!!

10/06/2006 Visa in Hand

10/11/2006 Left UK

10/23/2006 Got Married!

AOS

11/18/2006 Filed

11/28/2006 NO1

12/15/2006 Biometrics

01/22/2007 Approved

01/29/2007 Green card in hand

EAD

11/18/2006 Filed

11/28/2006 NO1

12/15/2006 Biometrics

02/06/2007 Approved (Waste of money but might have been worth it!)

AP

Didn't bother

Done for two years hooray!!!

Don't get me STARTED on moving costs as WELL as flight costs et al..god I'll be lucky to see change out of £3000 :lol:

(Hey i gotta laugh - its that or go postal somewhere, lol)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I figured it out once and Buying A Husband was close to $2500USD.

And that was four+ years ago.

You'd better mean it! :lol:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Buying a Husband... I love it... lol!

mary

Tom (London)   Mary (Michigan)

Sept. 2003 - meet online, become friends

May 2004 - we have grown close

Nov. 2004 - Tom books a flight to Michigan for Jan. 2005

Jan. 17, 2005 - first meeting at the Detroit Airport, 16 days together!

Feb. 2. 2005 - Tom returns to London. We start investigating our options

April 7, 2005 - Tom arrives for another visit.

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

April 26, 2005 - K1 sent to Nebrasksa. Tom flies back to London :(

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

June 14, 2005 - Tom returns to the USA:)

July 5, 2005 - Tom goes back to London :(

July 25, 2005 - NOA2 email- waited 3 months

Aug. 22, 2005 - Tom receives Packet 3

Sept. 6, 2005 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

Oct. 20, 2005 - medical in London -booked 7 weeks earlier!

Nov. 9, 2005 - email embassy - have we have been forgotten?

Nov. 15, 2005 - Mary flies to London (Brixton) for 12 weeks

Nov. 18, 2005 - embassy replies to email, date assigned

Nov. 22, 2005 - Packet 4 received

Nov. 25, 2005 - interview in London - DENIED :(

Nov. 30, 2005 - mailed waiver

Feb. 6, 2006 - still waiting for decision. Mary extends stay from Feb. 7 to March 21

March 3, 2006 - WAIVER DENIED :(

March 2006 - Mary extends UK stay again. We rent a house near London (Gravesend) and move.

May 10th - Mary returns to USA - torn apart again

June 27, 2006 - Mary receives UK fiance visa

July 31,2006 - Mary sells house in USA

Sept. 1, 2006 - Mary moves to UK

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

And my ex accused me of being high maintenance! lol

I have paid a total of over $2000.00 so far, but then again I am including translations and delivery services. I am looking at my love right now on the webcam. He is worth that and more.

Oh yes, I shouldn't forget the price of 3 flights there at an average of $1200.00 each and the price to have my tubes untied so we can try to have a baby together, almost $6000.00. I'm feelking your pain! :blink:

I know its hard, but hang in there, there is nothing worth as much as the right wife/husband.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks,

Jess

Just wait until you file for AOS, EAD and AP.

:thumbs:

Thanks guys,

Especially for the projected costs of AOS etc. Its good for me to know as i am in a similar situation to L&L. I'm out of collage and have been working sporadically. My boy and I met travelling and have been eeking it out together for the past year. Thankfullly we have a good co-sposer!!

$600 isnt a lot to some but for us it represtents a significant save so its good to plan ahead a little. I will just concentrate on the happy future and start saving.

Thanks again

add plane tickets to the cost.

my plane ticket to pakistan was $1,900.00

shon.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.