one...two...tree

New research pinpoints origins of humans in Africa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By Katherine Harmon in 60-Second Science Blog

A massive new genetic study proposes that humans originated near the border of modern-day South Africa and Namibia, a far more specific understanding than the vaguer picture of African origin that previously reigned.

Researchers from 11 countries collaborated on the study of more than 4 million genotypes, which was published today online in Science. By analyzing genetic sequences from 121 populations in Africa, 60 non-African populations and four African-American populations, they were able to trace Africans back to 14 ancestral clusters.

Charles Darwin first proposed an African origin of humans in his 1871 book The Descent of Man. It's now widely accepted that modern humans spent half of their 200,000 years on the planet in Africa, making it a key area of interest for geneticists, linguists and anthropologists alike.

The new study confirms prevailing assumptions that Africa is still home to the most genetic diversity.

Africa is currently has more than 2,000 ethno-linguistic groups, and the researchers were able to triangulate movement within and out of Africa by matching genetic and linguistic patterns. Among their other discoveries was a common ancestry between Pygmies and Khoisan speakers (those who use clicks in their language), and an average breakdown of the African-American genetic heritage in populations they studied (to about 71 percent western sub-Saharan African, 13 percent European and 8 percent other African groups). With a more detailed map of genes, researchers hope to be able to better understand health and disease in many of these populations.

"Our goal has been to do research that will benefit Africans," Sarah Tishkoff, a lead author of the study and a geneticist at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, said in a statement. Future work, she noted will include "studies of genetic and environmental risk factors for disease and drug response." Image of Tishkoff collecting genetic samples in Tanzania courtesy of Sarah Tishkoff

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=new-research-pinpoints-origins-of-h-2009-04-30

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
By analyzing genetic sequences from 121 populations in Africa, 60 non-African populations and four African-American populations, they were able to trace Africans back to 14 ancestral clusters.

That narrows down the origin point of Africans, but what about non-Africans?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Humans originated in Africa, not all of us are human :jest:

lol

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Hey Batman why dont you go read a lil Dr. seuss? Its way more educational!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

AJ, running to the lake again?! don't forget your weed whacker boy! you don't know when flying libruls are gonna swim to the shore!

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Hey Batman why dont you go read a lil Dr. seuss? Its way more educational!

Fvckin hybrid comic books make me sick! Punk kids!

I knew your education came from somewhere! Go Doctor!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

I'm glad my ancestors left that dump when they did.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My wife and I took part in the National Geographics Genographic Project.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/...phic/index.html

It was free for us because we stumbled on a booth at a street fair in Astoria NYC where they were taking DNA swabs. They have studies thousands of samples and traced them back to africa from Native Americans, Asians, Europeans etc. They did a big reveal for all those that took part in the Astoria testing because Astoria is such a diverse neighborhood. It was interesting to see the migratory path my ancestors took out of africa.

Anyone can take part but the kits cost $100.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Timeline
My wife and I took part in the National Geographics Genographic Project.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/...phic/index.html

It was free for us because we stumbled on a booth at a street fair in Astoria NYC where they were taking DNA swabs. They have studies thousands of samples and traced them back to africa from Native Americans, Asians, Europeans etc. They did a big reveal for all those that took part in the Astoria testing because Astoria is such a diverse neighborhood. It was interesting to see the migratory path my ancestors took out of africa.

Anyone can take part but the kits cost $100.

I wonder how well that works for us American mongrels. I know my ancestors have been wondering around the New World for at least three centuries, and the tree does a lot of forking, even throughout Europe.