Flames9_RN

Naturalization Interview In Fairfax VA

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good day. My appt time was for 10 am. Arrived there at 0930. There is a parking garage on the complex, $5 to park, you pay as you enter the lot!. You go through airport like security, they do allow cell phones, but a lady was not allowed to bring in a bottle of perfume. After security,its off to the 2nd floor. You check in with the receptionist,she takes and keeps your letter. The u sit and wait! The interviewers come out and call your name,so you have to listen up. We were seated by 0940, and i wasn't called til 1115ish. The interview itself was very basic. Confirmed my name, that I was still married, still at same residence, that i would be loyal to the USA, fight for the USA, just very basic questions. Didn't ask any personal questions, nothing!! Not a question regarding my wife, more or less just confirming stuff on the N400. I had to write a very basic sentence, something like "i drink to much coffee" he asked me questions from the OLD test!!!! I had not even studied it, but still passed. I didn't ask why he didn't give me the option of the new test questions??? I passed, so wasn't a problem!!!! It was very basic interview, and he was easy to chat with. My problem was that there was an EXTRA file associated with my case!! he has no clue what the file is. And until they get the file from Nebraska (thats the central holding area for all of the USA he said--As we never went through Nebraska, always Vermont) they can not continue with the proceedings! He asked if we had a lawyer, and i said yes, just for the CR-1 portion, but after that we didn't use one. he said most likley the lawyer submitted something extra, so it got thrown in a new folder!! most of the times it isn't anything of importance,but sometimes they have caught people committing fraud i.e. still married to other people,etc! if not for that extra file,i would have had the oath ceremony today!! He stated at this office you do the interview/oath the same day!!

No big deal, will just wait for the letter stating my oath date. he did state since they are so busy that they may just phone me with the day!! And if i can't make the oath date, I'm best to just come in person to the office to reschedule. And many times if your there to change your date, they will do your oath right then!! Actually works to my benefit, as I have an exam tomorrow, and require more time to study,lol

So in short, it was a fairly stress free experience, just a lot of waiting, which I expected. Interview was very staright forward,no real surprises, other than not getting the option of new/old exam. And the only things he wanted to see from me where my Cdn passport, Drivers license, and my greencard, thats it!! Very easy experience. bring a book to read while you wait! There seemed to be no rhyme or reason on the order of who they called. people that arrived well after I did, were called before me. be patient and listen for ur name, as some of the interviewers voices were very quiet! cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I still don't understand why anyone without a really complicated case would ever use a lawyer for this stuff.

In this example - it has, once again, caused more harm than good - and at extra expense too.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline

We used a lawyer at the very beginning AFTER my wife waited ALL day to speak to an immigration official at a local office (there was no appts, was first come first serves--line up around the block) When she did get to speak to an official, he wasn't very helpful, and he heavily suggested to get a lawyer, so we did! And actually she was fairly decent, but yes knowing what i know now, a waste of $$$, oh well, not a big deal. had not found VJ til like a month before my interview in Montreal. And this extra file, may have nothing to do with the lawyer. The interviewer today stated it could be anything, he didn't even want to venture a guess. And there really is no extra expense, i just have to go back for the oath ceremony. As stated before, actually works in my favor, as I have to study for an exam,lol This isn't something to stress over.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Great! Thanks for your update!

I just submitted my N-400 and it's nice to hear that Fairfax does interview and oath on the same day. :blush:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
We used a lawyer at the very beginning AFTER my wife waited ALL day to speak to an immigration official at a local office (there was no appts, was first come first serves--line up around the block) When she did get to speak to an official, he wasn't very helpful, and he heavily suggested to get a lawyer, so we did! And actually she was fairly decent, but yes knowing what i know now, a waste of $$$, oh well, not a big deal. had not found VJ til like a month before my interview in Montreal. And this extra file, may have nothing to do with the lawyer. The interviewer today stated it could be anything, he didn't even want to venture a guess. And there really is no extra expense, i just have to go back for the oath ceremony. As stated before, actually works in my favor, as I have to study for an exam,lol This isn't something to stress over.

Seems like the last three that posted about their interview have negative results, so what's going on now? And the folks in Houston are still waiting for their oath ceremony even after the price of gas went down. Friend in Illinois still having problems, her senator is Obama, and he's too busy doing other things.

I see nothing wrong with hiring an attorney, had more important things to do than to try to figure out a bunch of forms, matter of fact hired four of them from three different countries so my wife could bring her daughter with her. That was messy and certainly something I couldn't do by myself. Wife to be was concerned about the expense, said still far last then the last German Shepherd Dog I purchased, LOL, and with a relatively short lifespan.

Thinking back, should change the name of this site from VisaJourney to VisaBattle and the squeaky wheel does get the grease with the USCIS. Major challenge is knowing how to deal with incompetent people.

Congratulations!!! My interview is at the same DO this coming Wednesday. I am worried like hell, since I have a problem with my patronimic name, which I did not include in full on my application (don't know what has gotten into me), so I would probably would require a second name check. Damn!!! Ah, well, we will all get through it in time.

I had to write a very basic sentence, something like "i drink to much coffee"

Congrats!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
This isn't something to stress over.

Congratulation, and, nice to see your positive attitude!

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Timeline

Congrats!

lol, i used the correct "too" lol

Will be interesting to see what this extra file is. Guess their systems are not that well linked, one would have thought something like an extra file would have been picked up.

At the fairfax office, each interviewer is expected to do around 18-20 interviews per day. I was told thry do about 500 a day in total!! been like this for the past 6 months. Prior to that, they saw around 15 a day. Its a busy place.

Timeline
Congratulations!!! My interview is at the same DO this coming Wednesday. I am worried like hell, since I have a problem with my patronimic name, which I did not include in full on my application (don't know what has gotten into me), so I would probably would require a second name check. Damn!!! Ah, well, we will all get through it in time.

Congrats!

Beswt of luck!! As stated earlier my experience was great except for that extra file thingy!! As well go over the old and new tests, my interviewer didnt even give me the option. I probably could have spoken up and said something, but for me wasn't a problem! A lot of the questions are the same, but some do differ.

Timeline
Hey flames - I was wondering how it went. I am sure you'll be calling yourself a USC soon.

Not to offend anyone, i will ALWAYS be 100% Canadian!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hey flames - I was wondering how it went. I am sure you'll be calling yourself a USC soon.

Not to offend anyone, i will ALWAYS be 100% Canadian!!

"i drink to much coffee"

See you corrected that, I also drink too much coffee, getting kind of expensive, but least you can still buy a 34 ounce can of the stuff for the same price as one cup of Starbucks.

So tell me about Canada, does their immigration service suck like ours do? Or do they hire intelligent people?

Timeline

NO clue, never have had to deal with them!! I have no qualms at all with USCIS, never really had a problem along the way. And I don't really have any issues with this "extra " file that delayed my USA citizenship. I know many people that work for the USA govt and they do a great job. Many of them work forced OT because their offices are not fully manned. Many of them work OT, but their bosses wont sign off on it, so they don't get paid for it! None of the ones I know work for immigration though. Well thats not true, 1 does work on refugee cases and she quite often works 6 days a week at the State dept here in DC,quite often with no extra pay for it!! I think the majority of them all do great work, but with all organizations govt or non govt there are a few sub par people, and some people have bad days as well. No complaints from me!!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just an UPDATE:

I guess they must have found that "extra" file (who knows what it is, probably will never know) as I received a letter today stating my oath ceremony has been scheduled for Monday Dec 15 @ 0900 at the Fairfax VA location. Kind of bad timing as I'm studying for finals, but I guess I can squeeze in a few hours,lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.