Importer

Full time employment mandatory for obtaining K1?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

HI all,

Through the Guide I've learned that full time employment is necessary for a petitioner to obtain an I129 approval for his fiancee. My worry is that I'm a full-time college student receiving the GI bill to pay for tuition and living expenses. I have a rather substantial savings, too. Is there any way to obtain I129 approval and subsequent K1 in such a situation? Please!!! :unsure:

Cheers!

HI all,

Through the Guide I've learned that full time employment is necessary for a petitioner to obtain an I129 approval for his fiancee. My worry is that I'm a full-time college student receiving the GI bill to pay for tuition and living expenses. I have a rather substantial savings, too. Is there any way to obtain I129 approval and subsequent K1 in such a situation? Please!!! :unsure:

Cheers!

When in doubt, find a co-sponsor! :blink:

I make just enough to hit the poverty level line, so I am going to get one of my relatives to be a co-sponsor...just in case the consulate throws a fit.

HI all,

Through the Guide I've learned that full time employment is necessary for a petitioner to obtain an I129 approval for his fiancee. My worry is that I'm a full-time college student receiving the GI bill to pay for tuition and livguing expenses. I have a rather substantial savings, too. Is there any way to obtain I129 approval and subsequent K1 in such a situation? Please!!! :unsure:

Cheers!

If you'can't meet the minimum poverty guidelines then do as boobah said: Get a co sponsor.

No need full time employment or even to be employed.

Looks better if you show you have the potential for making some bucks in the future tho.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
HI all,

Cheers!

Please quote the portion of the guide that employment, full time or otherwise is necessary for petition approval.

Always read carefully and interpret literally. What is required is a qualified sponsor but absolutely nothing about your income or assets is even submitted with the petition. All that is provided at the Consulate stage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You don't need to be employed full time (the employer letter example states 'full time', perhaps thats where you saw it(?)) ...but all they care about is that you make that 125%. I'm self-employed and most would not consider it 'full time' but I make more than enough. ;) If you do not, simply explain your circumstances and find yourself a joint-sponsor.

You can find some good tips here.

timeline.jpg

My fiancee is a freelance worker at the moment and doesn't make the required amount. However, he is currently looking for full-time employment that shows he can support me but we have his parents as a back-up as co-sponsers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance is a part-time college student, with no employment. we just had his mom co-sponsor and it worked out okay. his mom is even retired. just so long as your co sponsor meets the requirements you're okay.

K-1 Process:

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-11

Interview Date : 2008-06-11

Visa Received : 2008-06-13

US Entry : 2008-06-16

applied for SSN: 2008-07-02

SSN arrived: 2008-07-21

Marriage : 2008-08-16

AOS/EAD/AP:

Mailed AOS pkg: 2008-09-06

pkg arrived: 2008-09-08

NOA1 issue date: 2008-09-11

received NOA1's: 2008-09-15

Biometrics letter: 2008-09-18

RFE email from CRIS: 2008-09-26

Bio appt in St.Paul: 2008-10-01

Received RFE: 2008-10-01 - for w-2s and joint sponsor Birth Cert.

Mailed RFE: 2008-10-18

Case resumed: 2008-10-22

Transferred to CSC: 2008-11-03

I-485 touches: 2008-11-04, 2009-01-12

EAD approved: 2008-11-18

AP approved: 2008-11-19

EAD, AP arrived: 2008-11-28

I-485 approved: 2009-02-12

GreenCard Recieved: 2009-02-20

HI all,

Cheers!

My son was a full time college student in 2007 studying on his GI bill benefits (which he earned the hard way). His I-129 F and I-130 petitions were approved by the USCIS with no problems. At the interview in Bangkok your fiance will have to provide an I-134, an employment letter and the last year's tax transcript from you, her sponsor. The visa information office (not the same as the National Visa Center), told my son to write a notarized letter explaining why he did not file taxes and detailing his financial situation. They also said to include evidence to back up what he said in his letter. He is including his pay stubs for the first six months of this year, a letter from his employer, proof of having received his GI benefits, letters from his banks, his last tax return (which was for 2005), his social security earnings statement, and his college diploma and transcripts (evidence of good prospects for the future) and bank statements.

If you have assets you can use them in place of some income. It's always a safety net to use a co-sponsor. My husband filled out an I-134, will have it notarized and include a tax transcript for 2007. He's sealing it in an envelope, and our DIL will pull it out only if the embassy asks for more proof of financial support. We will know more after the July 24th interview.

Get that petition filed!

Thai Mom

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Both I and my brother used assets alone to get approval. Yes, they questioned us, but that was all. You have to show enough assets to cover the poverty level for (I believe) 3 years for the I-134, or 5 years for the I-864. Most people don't seem to meet that I would guess. It seems they overlook Assets until you remind them that you have them.

Worked for us!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Both I and my brother used assets alone to get approval. Yes, they questioned us, but that was all. You have to show enough assets to cover the poverty level for (I believe) 3 years for the I-134, or 5 years for the I-864. Most people don't seem to meet that I would guess. It seems they overlook Assets until you remind them that you have them.

Worked for us!

It's three dollars in assets replacing 1 dollar in income for fiance or spouse. Or, three times for spouse, five times for other relatives. I guess what you meant was you need enough assets to cover three years of the 125$ of poverty line requirement. Same thing but the five times/years does not apply to fiance or spouse.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You don't need to be employed full time (the employer letter example states 'full time', perhaps thats where you saw it(?)) ...but all they care about is that you make that 125%. I'm self-employed and most would not consider it 'full time' but I make more than enough. ;) If you do not, simply explain your circumstances and find yourself a joint-sponsor.

This is sort of off-topic, but I just wanted to thank you, Kim, for the tender way you reach out to people here on VJ. Your approach is very open, caring and helpful and I have appreciated that on many occasions during my months here on VJ. I don't care much for the rough approach at all. I don't find it necessary to be mean or tough or "straight talking" when it offends and patronizes people.

So, thank you for just being "YOU"

Stephanie

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the link. This is a source of stress for me. I work in education but go year to year right now without a permanent job so I am very under-employed during the summer. My case is pending now and I look like a total bum on paper! I am sure something will come up in September (it always does) but my case is pending NOW. I have a co-sponsor lined up and I am getting all the papers ready in anticipation of an August approval.

- Met in a Kuwait coffee shop: 2007-09-09

- Had 1st date (Chinese food): 2007-10-27

- Had fallen hopelessly in love: 2008-02-14

- I-129F sent off to CVC: 2008-04-21

- I-129F NOA1 received: 2008-04-22

- Check cashed by CVC: 2008-04-23

- I-129F NOA2 received: 2008-09-03

- I-129F left NVC for MNL: 2008-09-11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, that's where I saw it! Thanks for your reply!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

This is sort of off-topic, but I just wanted to thank you, Kim, for the tender way you reach out to people here on VJ. Your approach is very open, caring and helpful and I have appreciated that on many occasions during my months here on VJ. I don't care much for the rough approach at all. I don't find it necessary to be mean or tough or "straight talking" when it offends and patronizes people.

So, thank you for just being "YOU"

Stephanie

Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.