Army_Wife

US Military Spouses

700 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I'm Sarah and thought it may be good to start a thread specifically for Military Spouses.

I didn't see one anywhere else on the site, and thought it may be a good way to start some form of support network which incorporates our different set of stresses, to those whose partners have normal jobs.

I met my US Army Husband online when he was in Iraq originally back in 2005, and when he returned we've lived with him being a Reservist, but he goes Active again in a few weeks.

With the current climate of things, it's a little worrying .... I pray there's no deployment, again.

At the moment, I'm separated from him, in England, while we go through the I-130 process which we started in January 2008.

I'm sure there are a few Spouses (and for Fiances for that matter) on here which are in difficult situations regarding their partners involved in the Military, while they too are on their own personal visa journey's, and are finding it harder than normal as they are not attached to or able to access their 'Family Readiness Group' as yet, till they reach the US.

Hence, attempting to start a form of one for us here.

Not sure if this was a good idea, but I didn't think it could do any harm.

Good luck to us all, and I hope we all have a speedy reunion with our Beloved One who is part of the defense structure of the country we will soon be calling 'Home'.

Sarah x

p.s. The link here is for the Military specific immigration hotline (with real people to talk to), which may be of use to some of you http://www.military.com/military-report/im...ESRC=miltrep.nl

hi there im my husband are also in the military he's active on duty..we receive our NOA1 on july 22 we are still waiting for the NOA2..i thought our case will be faster since they work in the gov't but it seems not..

hi sarah its nice to meet other military spouses here!!!

im ruby, im still here in the phils,

i met my hubby online too in 2005 when he was still in iraq,,

and now he is deployed again for 15 months... :(:( we have been married for almost 2 years now and have a 15 month old son..

we havent filed but soon we will.. lol hopefully.. :D

me i have access to my FRG, i received newsletters from them, i even added

then to myspace. LOL...

take care.. PM me if u need anything..

Edited by ruby_jade

Hi, I agree with you, I thought there would be some form of special treatment too, especially with the current climate of things for a lot of us. These are scary times, and sometimes being a Military spouse can be the hardest job on the planet.

It's not like he's safely working in an office :pop:

It seems the immigration process is the only thing they drag their heels on ..... has he tried speaking to his Chain of Command??

Also, has your Husband called the Military Immigration helpline? It's a helpline specifically for us, and they will put him through to a proper Immigration Officer. They can be really helpful, and will pull up your case while speaking to him.

The link is on my first post.

Waiting for NOA2 since July seems a very long time, and you're well over any 180 days .... I would suggest your Husband going to his Senator and asking for help. USCIS has 48 hours to reply to one of those requests, stating what is going on. :secret:

There does seem to be a few nightmare stories on here ..... let me know how it goes.

Goodluck xx

and now he is deployed again for 15 months... :(:( we have been married for almost 2 years now and have a 15 month old son..

then to myspace. LOL...

Hi Ruby,

That's great you have access to your FRG .... mine know about me, but I didn't realise they could deal with you before you arrive in the US. Thanks for that, I will contact them.

2005 seems like it was a busy year for US Military personnel in Iraq and online meetings :lol:

Deployed again ??? that sucks!!

I'm blown away by the 15 month deployments now .... they just seem to be getting longer :crying:

I think the Air Force and Navy are only on 6-8 ..... the British only get 6 months too.

Maybe you could look at filing while he's deployed and it could all be done and dusted before he gets back, so you can meet him off the plane ???

Not even sure if it's possible with deployment .... but you never know.

One thing about online meetings .... and Military life .... at least we're used to long distance relationships, and know how to manouvre them ;)

My thoughts are with you xx

then to myspace. LOL...

Hi Ruby,

That's great you have access to your FRG .... mine know about me, but I didn't realise they could deal with you before you arrive in the US. Thanks for that, I will contact them.

2005 seems like it was a busy year for US Military personnel in Iraq and online meetings :lol:

I'm blown away by the 15 month deployments now .... they just seem to be getting longer :crying:

I think the Air Force and Navy are only on 6-8 ..... the British only get 6 months too.

Maybe you could look at filing while he's deployed and it could all be done and dusted before he gets back, so you can meet him off the plane ???

One thing about online meetings .... and Military life .... at least we're used to long distance relationships, and know how to manouvre them ;)

yeah deployment sucks!!!! :angry:

4 months down, 11 to go.... im not alone though., i have two other spouses that i talk to our husband are in the same division, so all of them are deployed right now...!!

we were still gathering other requirements, hopefully by april we can submit our I-130.. :star:

military wife is the toughest job of all!!!!!!!!! but im holding on...

:) :)

then to myspace. LOL...

Hi Ruby,

4 months down, 11 to go.... im not alone though., i have two other spouses that i talk to our husband are in the same division, so all of them are deployed right now...!!

we were still gathering other requirements, hopefully by april we can submit our I-130.. :star:

11 months left ..... it's soooo long! :cry:

I'm pleased you have support around you ... same unit is great!

It's disturbing when you look around this site, it's full of people concerned about whether or not they can go and see their Husbands while they're awaiting the paperwork game (I've also looked into it too) ..... at least they have the option .... or should I say, they can at least take the risk .... whereas in your situation, it's not one that can even be thought about .... my heart goes out to you.

Still, the positive thing is, you could hopefully be processed for his return :dancing:

By the way ..... love the Army Wife logo you have on your signature section ..... hope you don't mind if I use the same one??

X

then to myspace. LOL...

Hi Ruby,

11 months left ..... it's soooo long! :cry:

I'm pleased you have support around you ... same unit is great!

It's disturbing when you look around this site, it's full of people concerned about whether or not they can go and see their Husbands while they're awaiting the paperwork game (I've also looked into it too) ..... at least they have the option .... or should I say, they can at least take the risk .... whereas in your situation, it's not one that can even be thought about .... my heart goes out to you.

Still, the positive thing is, you could hopefully be processed for his return :dancing:

By the way ..... love the Army Wife logo you have on your signature section ..... hope you don't mind if I use the same one??

X

I PMed you!!! :)

Just found this on the US Army website .....

'Our military Families also sacrifice for America. They endure sleepless nights and the daily struggle of providing for children while a loved one is serving far from home. We have a responsibility to provide for them. So I ask you to join me in expanding their access to child care, creating new hiring preferences for military spouses across the federal government, and allowing our troops to transfer their unused education benefits to their spouses or children. Our military Families serve our nation, they inspire our nation, and tonight our nation honors them.'

Excerpt from President George W. Bush’s 2008 State of the Union Address, Jan. 28.

That's really nice ..... maybe someone should let President Bush know that there's a lot of us stuck in the immigration process ..... and we'd be more supportive if we were Stateside :secret:

:idea: ..... now, there's a project ..... hmmmm

X

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi ladies!

I'm also an army wife. My husband is deployed to iraq and he's been gone for 6 and a half months. we have 5 and a half to 8 and a half left (depending on if he gets extended) and I am so excited to see him at his homecoming!

I am getting ready to send off my I-130 packet in the next 2 weeks! It would be great if we could keep in tough with each other. I would agree that being a military spouse is a very tough job but I'm go through it 1000 times more if it meant I could be with him always :blush:

I hope to get some replies from you girls. I love meeting other military wives! :D

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Hi ladies!

I'm also an army wife. My husband is deployed to iraq and he's been gone for 6 and a half months. we have 5 and a half to 8 and a half left (depending on if he gets extended) and I am so excited to see him at his homecoming!

I am getting ready to send off my I-130 packet in the next 2 weeks! It would be great if we could keep in tough with each other. I would agree that being a military spouse is a very tough job but I'm go through it 1000 times more if it meant I could be with him always :blush:

I hope to get some replies from you girls. I love meeting other military wives! :D

Helloooo,

Lovely to hear from you. I really hope he doesn't get extended, a year is hideous enough :wacko: .... it's not like he's working safely in an office.

My husband was out there twice and we met on his last deployment .... thankyou internet .... I'm now doubly thankful for the internet, as it's what bonds us together once again over the miles :lol: ..... I'm lucky that he is safely tucked up in Georgia at the moment ..... as deployment separation is sooo much worse ..... my heart goes out to you (F)

I-130 in 2 weeks, so you'll be a March/April filer.

It's great to have another military spouse on here, we really do have a different set of experiences to the others on this site ..... which reminds me, have you managed to get your spouse ID card ? .... I got mine the other day, quite simple as soon as you find a base (any basy) which has American military personnel on it. I was blown away by the benefits of it ..... not only can you shop there for cheap American groceries (on your own) .... but you get to use the domestic US postal system ..... which also means you can send free stuff to your deployed Husband ...... medical and dental stuff ...... and what I really like, it's something worth 'flashing' at the door of the Consulate when you go for your interview, as the doors are manned by military :yes:

I definately agree, that I too would go through it 1000 times more if I could be with my military husband, always. It's a hard life, but it's a good life.

Do you know which part of the US you're going to be in when you get there ? ..... I'm Atlanta, Georgia bound

p.s. if a moderator is reading this, can you chase up my request for a military specific forum to be added please?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi ladies!

Helloooo,

Lovely to hear from you. I really hope he doesn't get extended, a year is hideous enough :wacko: .... it's not like he's working safely in an office.

My husband was out there twice and we met on his last deployment .... thankyou internet .... I'm now doubly thankful for the internet, as it's what bonds us together once again over the miles :lol: ..... I'm lucky that he is safely tucked up in Georgia at the moment ..... as deployment separation is sooo much worse ..... my heart goes out to you (F)

It's great to have another military spouse on here, we really do have a different set of experiences to the others on this site ..... which reminds me, have you managed to get your spouse ID card ? .... I got mine the other day, quite simple as soon as you find a base (any basy) which has American military personnel on it. I was blown away by the benefits of it ..... not only can you shop there for cheap American groceries (on your own) .... but you get to use the domestic US postal system ..... which also means you can send free stuff to your deployed Husband ...... medical and dental stuff ...... and what I really like, it's something worth 'flashing' at the door of the Consulate when you go for your interview, as the doors are manned by military :yes:

I definately agree, that I too would go through it 1000 times more if I could be with my military husband, always. It's a hard life, but it's a good life.

Do you know which part of the US you're going to be in when you get there ? ..... I'm Atlanta, Georgia bound

p.s. if a moderator is reading this, can you chase up my request for a military specific forum to be added please?

Hi again! Before I say anything let me just correct something...

I meant to say let's keep in TOUCH not in tough....lol. See what happens when you are sleepy?

O.k...it's great to meet you Sarah! My name is Camille and my hubby's name is James.

I don't have my ID card as yet but the next time I visit the states I will be getting one, since I don't think I can get it out here in Jamaica. He asked me to get married when he was on his R & R and we didn't have time to do a lot of stuff that we wish we had done before. I am wondering if I should print out all of our Skype, Yahoo, Myspace emails/IM's etc...because it's TONS of stuff...lol

A lot of it isn't fit for strangers eyes either hahahaha

It would be great if we had a little military spouse thread going on, and double great if there was a way to get them to expidite it because you are a military spouse.

Who knows...maybe they'll come up with something that will get us moved through faster. It's so hard being separated by this long distance relationship, the whole 12-15 months deployment and then having to be apart even after that for God knows how long.

We hate it, but what can you do you know?

Hubby is based at Fort Drum in NY so depending on when I get this Visa I will be going there or with him to his new duty station he is PSCing to a few months after he gets back.

I'm very excited to get this ball rolling but I am waiting for one more piece of my packet and then I can send it off.

I'll definately be in the April filers group.

I have a big question though and I don't know if you girls can help me. Since hubby is deployed and he turned his cell phone off before leaving and he obviously doesn't have one in Iraq, I've been baffled as to what I should write for his contact number on all the forms....we only communicate via email and IM because he has no phone where he is.

What do you think I should do in this case?

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Hi ladies!

Helloooo,

Hi again! Before I say anything let me just correct something...

I meant to say let's keep in TOUCH not in tough....lol. See what happens when you are sleepy?

O.k...it's great to meet you Sarah! My name is Camille and my hubby's name is James.

I don't have my ID card as yet but the next time I visit the states I will be getting one, since I don't think I can get it out here in Jamaica. He asked me to get married when he was on his R & R and we didn't have time to do a lot of stuff that we wish we had done before. I am wondering if I should print out all of our Skype, Yahoo, Myspace emails/IM's etc...because it's TONS of stuff...lol

A lot of it isn't fit for strangers eyes either hahahaha

It would be great if we had a little military spouse thread going on, and double great if there was a way to get them to expidite it because you are a military spouse.

Who knows...maybe they'll come up with something that will get us moved through faster. It's so hard being separated by this long distance relationship, the whole 12-15 months deployment and then having to be apart even after that for God knows how long.

We hate it, but what can you do you know?

Hubby is based at Fort Drum in NY so depending on when I get this Visa I will be going there or with him to his new duty station he is PSCing to a few months after he gets back.

I'm very excited to get this ball rolling but I am waiting for one more piece of my packet and then I can send it off.

I'll definately be in the April filers group.

I have a big question though and I don't know if you girls can help me. Since hubby is deployed and he turned his cell phone off before leaving and he obviously doesn't have one in Iraq, I've been baffled as to what I should write for his contact number on all the forms....we only communicate via email and IM because he has no phone where he is.

What do you think I should do in this case?

hello girls!!

hi camille! welcome here.. LOL :star:

my hubby too is in iraq.. we still have a long way to go..

about your questions.. maybe you can write the phone number of his parent's in the states...

we havent file also but hopefully soon.

take care..

ruby**

Hi Camille,

Wonderful to hear from you ..... yes, Ruby's idea is great. You could put down his parent's number. From what I gather, they tend not to ring you up .... it looks like just a tick box item.

Expedites for military ..... trust me, I'm looking at every loophole possible .... so far, it's only deployment .... actually, I've had an idea !!! Both you and Ruby have deployed husbands ..... so far, I can't find anything which states you can't apply for an expedite after your husband is deployed ..... :idea: .... so, both of you guys can get a copy of your husband's deployment orders .... plonk that in with the I-130 application .... and in big red letters on a cover page, state 'Military Expedite Required .... Deployment Orders Enclosed' ...... you never know, they might just do it!!!!

It's worth a good try, cos the normal way is just silly ..... I'm sitting here waiting for a possible 6 months before approval before going to NVC, and my husband has put his life on the line for his country twice already.

If I was you, I wouldn't hesitate trying it .... the worst they can do is say no, and put you back in with everyone else.

For the I-130, I just sent a handful of emails (not all as there were over 550 at that stage, letters, cards and God knows what else) .... a couple from the early weeks, a couple from in between and a couple of recent ones. It showed the development of the relationship without bogging them down with a packet which is huge ... therefore not taking as long for an adjudicator to approve it once he's read it.

To be honest, I didn't send a lot of relationship proof, apart from the marriage certificate, emails and photos. The cover letter said everything.

I'm now on his life insurance, rental agreement, and he's on mine. The tax form has been updated to married ..... if you have any questions about US tax and how to file without a SSN#, just let me know.

I have so much more to take to the consulate, but know it shouldn't be too necessary being a US Military dependant .... I'm hoping to have Kip with me at interview too .... fingers crossed.

Hope this helps,

Sarah x

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,..I have been on this forum since 2004, and am also a military spouse.

A month after we got married in California in Feb 2004, we got stationed in Germany, and I have been there ever since.

2 weeks after we got to Germany , my hubby deployed for 12mths, so that was April 2004 to April 2005.

He then deployed again In November 06, and got back January 08,..yes 15 mths!! We were meant to leave here in march 07, but got extended becasue of the units deployment, so spent a year longer than necessary. So he has been deployed for 27mths out of 48 mths here. Plus 5 months of military schooling,..so he was away for 32 of 48 mths.

KipandSarahJayne,..just so you know,...the mailing to a deployed spouse, is only free when overseas on a military base.

When you get to the states, and if your hubby deploys, you pay for your parcels to be sent, no freebies there...it sucks!!

I think you'll find about 20 military spouses on here, quiet a few from Germany.

I went the k1 route, then AOS and Lifting of conditions, with the last two completed from Germany.

I have also just completed i-130's for my kids, which joined me directly in Germany. We are headed stateside in April.

Cheers,...

Jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.