Dr. Obvious

Getting a DL in Indiana really sucks

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

This is almost as bad as USCIS. To get his license, he has to be centrally verified. It has been two months now and no one knows anything period. No one calls me back and I can't get a hold of them. He can't get a real learning permit until then, only a driving waiver. AGH.

Edited by Wacken

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We had to wait for Andre's green card before they would even let him test for the learner's permit in St. Louis. Hang in there.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We have the green card though and the SSN. They just have to be 'centrally verified' by the state. I am not sure what about this process takes two months or more. I am just really frustrated by this.

I know how you feel! I've finally got my ####### down to get my state ID and guess what? This also has to be centrally verified too, just like the DL. I have my GC and SSN as well, just like you. /sigh.

From what I understand the DL and State ID applications get sent to Anapolis and onto the USCIS database. There they will verify that you are who you say you are and match up their info with Indiana's. Could take bloody ages, knowing what USCIS is like.

Edited by Mags

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What does centrally verified even mean?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Means it sucks to live in Indiana if you want an Indiana license as a foreign license holder. Mags explained it pretty well in her edit. Not all states apparently require such a mess or must have a better way of going about it.

:whistle: *Emails other states for their requirements...*

Timeline
What does centrally verified even mean?

That the info that Indiana provides has to match up with USCIS's info on their database. Which means that all State ID and DL applications have to be processed through USCIS...again.

Edited by Mags

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline
This is almost as bad as USCIS. To get his license, he has to be centrally verified. It has been two months now and no one knows anything period. No one calls me back and I can't get a hold of them. He can't get a real learning permit until then, only a driving waiver. AGH.

I got my learner's permit from Indy's BMV on day 94 after they sent my docs in for central verification. It was hard to wait, but at least I could drive with that piece of paper and my hubby next to me.

And you are right - they don't know anything. I had no choice but to wait.

Timeline

Day 94. I have no idea how long I am even willing to wait. They told me the 60 days for the permit don't even start until he gets the card (found this out today). I don't even want to live in this stupid state that long, this problem aside. I have no idea what to do. I am looking at giving up and moving anyway in February. This is so ridiculous.

Edited by Wacken

I got my LP 10 days after we arrived - it did take going to East Chicago BMV as they apparently deal with more immigrants than others. If you're in NWI I recommend going there. And to emphasise, I did not have a GC (still don't) but the CR-1 visa did it along with a letter from a bank as proof of address.

I'm scheduled to take my DL driving test on 1/10 at East Chicago - held LP for 6 months.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Eh, it isn't worth the trip. Besides, looking at another state's licensing requirements makes me think I should just forget it and move there sooner than originally planned. I thought wrongly that it would be best just to get the license here then move as an interstate transfer would be easier. Then I learned some depressing things like a good percentage of states don't even have this process in the first place and don't have the extremely long learning permit requirement for applicants over the age of 18 regardless of prior licensing status. Agh. I wish I had known about all of this before, could have saved me a lot of time. Needs to be a DL Journey site. :P

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My experience was slightly easier for DL in Indiana. The green card was issued Feb 06, I went to DMV in Aug 06 & got my learner's permit in 1 week because of SSN cannot be verified (had to go to SSA office for a letter of verification). Held permit for 2 months & had my driving test in October. They issued 7 year DL.

I had to go back to my country to quit my jobs & finish up before coming back in Jul 06 - it might be the reason why it was easier for me or it is just different office handles it differently?

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

My experience was slightly easier for DL in Indiana. The green card was issued Feb 06, I went to DMV in Aug 06 & got my learner's permit in 1 week because of SSN cannot be verified (had to go to SSA office for a letter of verification). Held permit for 2 months & had my driving test in October. They issued 7 year DL.

I had to go back to my country to quit my jobs & finish up before coming back in Jul 06 - it might be the reason why it was easier for me or it is just different office handles it differently?

Which BMV office - which county?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Which BMV office - which county?

South Bend - St Joe

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Timeline

I think it also matter when you applied. If I recall this new centrally verified thing has only been in use for part of 2007, so a few here may have applied for their licence before it was brought into practice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.