♥JP♥

I wanna make a trifle

22 posts in this topic

So I am having my sister and her fiance over for dinner and I want to make an authentic trifle of some sort since he is British. I looked online but there are just way too many recipes and I don't know whats good, whats not, etc.

Can someone please give me a tried and true recipe for an authentic trifle?

Thanks! :star:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

What Brits normally consume as trifle isn't some fancy concoction with fresh fruit but rather more prosaic.

The bottom layer is sponge fingers which have been softened in sherry.

The next layer is trifle jelly, normally strawberry flavoured with a tin of mixed fruit in it.

The next layer is custard. Birds custard is the most commonly used mix.

The next and final layer is whipped cream with the inevitable sugar sprinkles on the top which after a period of time colour the cream in a rather kaleidoscopic way.

That's what I know as a traditional Brit trifle. Anything else maybe a whole lot nicer, but it's not what is commonly created. :P

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
What Brits normally consume as trifle isn't some fancy concoction with fresh fruit but rather more prosaic.

The bottom layer is sponge fingers which have been softened in sherry.

The next layer is trifle jelly, normally strawberry flavoured with a tin of mixed fruit in it.

The next layer is custard. Birds custard is the most commonly used mix.

The next and final layer is whipped cream with the inevitable sugar sprinkles on the top which after a period of time colour the cream in a rather kaleidoscopic way.

That's what I know as a traditional Brit trifle. Anything else maybe a whole lot nicer, but it's not what is commonly created. :P

Normal sponge cake can be substituted for the fingers.

Orange jelly with mandarin oranges are good too.

Almond slices make a good topping.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Please don't have your recipe book pages stuck together so that it's a trifle with jelly and beef :lol:

LOL beef with peas and onions. I love that episode...whats not love? Cake...gooooooood....meat....goooooooood....cream....goooooooooood.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I make a trifle but it isn't authentic but it sure is yummy :thumbs:

I just layer cake, pudding, some kind of fruit or chocolate etc...and cool whip....

like I will layer white cake, with some vanilla pudding and some fruit, like canned peaches and cool whip..

or I will layer chocolate cake with some chocolate pudding with some Crunch bars and cool whip...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I guess it might come down to, do you want to make something 'authentic' or something people will eat? :lol:

Ok, the traditional sherry trifle isn't that bad. I always liked those little cherries you got in the tins of mixed fruit, although there was normally only one per tin!

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Please don't have your recipe book pages stuck together so that it's a trifle with jelly and beef :lol:

heh heh heh :P

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Well I want to make something he will think is good and I don't want him to think I got off the back of a jello box. :lol:

I made a very non traditional one for thanksgiving this year! Everyone loved it.

It was so easy...

Pound Cake, Heavy whipping cream, pumpkin pie (can), crushed Graham Crakers....

I am going to make it again for sure.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Since I got my Pampered Chef trifle bowl I have made several (margarita cheesecake, and pumpkin cream) with plans to make many more. I'm not as familiar with the traditional British trifle but I have a friend who was stationed with her husband in England for like a year and she's familiar with a lot of things British. I'll give her a call and see if she knows.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

So when you say fruit in a traditional trifle, what kind? Like a fruit cocktail from a can? I have that birds eye custard stuff at home already, and I have the sherry. :thumbs:

heh heh heh :P

AWWWWWWW.....I wanted to do this post :lol::P