jen&darcy

Divorce Decree

18 posts in this topic

I have a question on sending my divorce decree with the I-129F for the K-1. Do I have to send the whole document including the Separation Agreement? or do I just send the first four pages which is the Judgment Entry with the judge's signature on it?

I have the packet assembled and was sending the whole thing. I just wanted to know what other people did.

Thanks,

Jen

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a question on sending my divorce decree with the I-129F for the K-1. Do I have to send the whole document including the Separation Agreement? or do I just send the first four pages which is the Judgment Entry with the judge's signature on it?

I have the packet assembled and was sending the whole thing. I just wanted to know what other people did.

Thanks,

Jen

I sent just the final declaration. They were fine with that.

I apologize. I didn't see that this was just asked about a week ago. I did a search and nothing came up so that is why I asked. Again my apologies!

Jen

K-1 Process

AOS & EAD Process

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

Lifting Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks,

Jen

Based on my experience, my fiance sent in the 1st page only and we got RFE. So we re-submitted the whole pages then. So better submit the complete pages Jen! :yes:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks,

Jen

My divorce decree was only 4 pages...although the settlement was much longer. The USCIS isn't interested in the details of the settlement...all they want to know is if you are legally able to remarry.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks,

Jen

My divorce decree was only 4 pages...although the settlement was much longer. The USCIS isn't interested in the details of the settlement...all they want to know is if you are legally able to remarry.

Then she can send the 4 pages to be safe.

Filed: Timeline

I'm totally confused with the 1 page 4 page stuff. Is there any out there who has divorced in the UK? I only have a 1 page decree nisi and 1 page for the divorce decree. Is the right? The only other papers I have is a small 5 page booklet type thing which is a statement for arrangements for our child. Everything was settled between us as we parted on good terms so there's no other papers.

So with the I-129F do I just send the 1 page with the final decree on it or the decree nisi too?

I sent the whole thing and it was 32 pages long. However, I have two girls from a previous marriage so there is custody and a separation agreement attached. I figured if they are only interested in the first few pages then they can ignore the rest. I would rather be safe than sorry.

K-1 Process

AOS & EAD Process

Lifting Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm totally confused with the 1 page 4 page stuff. Is there any out there who has divorced in the UK? I only have a 1 page decree nisi and 1 page for the divorce decree. Is the right? The only other papers I have is a small 5 page booklet type thing which is a statement for arrangements for our child. Everything was settled between us as we parted on good terms so there's no other papers.

So with the I-129F do I just send the 1 page with the final decree on it or the decree nisi too?

My divorce was done in the UK. You do not need the decree nisi, all you need to send is the one-page final decree absolute. I sent that one page (well, a copy of it) with my I-129F and they accepted it.

I just submitted a certified copy of the divorce final, nothing else.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Timeline

There's no clearcut answer here. Except for the poster who answered that those divorced in the UK need only send the Decree Absolute.

Every state has different divorce law, so the 'style' (appearance) of the final decree, or order, will be different everywhere.

My final decree contained my property and childcare agreements, so it was lengthy. But most importantly (from DHS perspective) the certification from the County Clerk was on the last page.

You need to send the document (whatever it is called - decree, order, whatever) that shows you to be free to marry AND that document MUST be a CERTIFIED copy.

We just sent the final decree and also got an RFE and had to send everything - do it and save yourself an RFE and I am from the UK.

Edited by sukie175

I also just sent the decree absolute copy (not notarized just photcopied)and it was fine - no RFE's

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.