y2ksbabygirl

a question about marriage to US citizen

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if i was to go and visit my fiance and get married, can i stay and then apply for citizenship? i know of people who have gone from mexico, then married each other in texas, and then applied for citizenship and they didn't get deported... my worst fear is that if i was to do that, then i would get deported and we STILL wouldn't be together.... we just want to be together so badly that we don't want to wait anymore.... does anyone have any ideas on if this happens what can happen???

Timeline
If you cross the border with the intent to marry it is indeed visa fraud. If you cross for a visit and marry spontaneously (he he), you adjust status. The best thing to do is to :guides: and become familiar with your options; since the lines are pretty fuzzy.

Good luck, L.

so if it was totally unplanned, and adjustment is all that would need to be done? hmmmmm.... we have been waiting over a year and half.... thanks a lot!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wait, you'd better check the laws carefully. Once upon a time you could stay in the country and adjust your status, but that changed a couple of years back and the new law says that even if you are adjusting your status, you have to go back to your home country for the interview and processing. I think it was changed for the very reason that people entered the country whether legally or illegally and got married so that they could stay in the country. Now, even if you get married, you still have to leave the country and go "home" to get your status adjusted.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Timeline
Wait, you'd better check the laws carefully. Once upon a time you could stay in the country and adjust your status, but that changed a couple of years back and the new law says that even if you are adjusting your status, you have to go back to your home country for the interview and processing. I think it was changed for the very reason that people entered the country whether legally or illegally and got married so that they could stay in the country. Now, even if you get married, you still have to leave the country and go "home" to get your status adjusted.

Oops. Didn't mean to give wrong advise! Sorry about that and thanks for the information!

As per the Guides, they are on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

If you cross the border with the intent to marry it is indeed visa fraud. If you cross for a visit and marry spontaneously (he he), you adjust status. The best thing to do is to :guides: and become familiar with your options; since the lines are pretty fuzzy.

Good luck, L.

so if it was totally unplanned, and adjustment is all that would need to be done? hmmmmm.... we have been waiting over a year and half.... thanks a lot!!!!

Well, you are in America & he is not, so it is planned already...

That is visa fraud, if you enter with intent to get married & stay. VJ does not advocate visa fraud in any way.

Good luck, L.

Not true. Intent to marry & stay is fraud, intent to marry & leave is not.

Timeline

well that's not my idea... i'm in canada, he's in the USA... we just want to finally be together again but forever... we want to do it the right way... not commit fraud or anything... we also want to do it the quickest way... but the right way... and if we could be together while waiting, would be way better... i looked up the DCP, and i'm curious, but i don't fully understand it.... this whole thing is confusing... i already purchased the greencard by marriage booklet online and printed it....

we are trying to figure out if going the fiancee visa or the k visa is easier.... i have a daughter from a previous marriage... and she is going to be with us in the US once we are married....

Fraud is SOOOOOOO not my goal here... i'm just trying to get some help is all....

well that's not my idea... i'm in canada, he's in the USA... we just want to finally be together again but forever... we want to do it the right way... not commit fraud or anything... we also want to do it the quickest way... but the right way... and if we could be together while waiting, would be way better... i looked up the DCP, and i'm curious, but i don't fully understand it.... this whole thing is confusing... i already purchased the greencard by marriage booklet online and printed it....

we are trying to figure out if going the fiancee visa or the k visa is easier.... i have a daughter from a previous marriage... and she is going to be with us in the US once we are married....

Fraud is SOOOOOOO not my goal here... i'm just trying to get some help is all....

The K1 is the fiance visa. The K3 is the visa to bring a spouse to America. K2/K4 is for a child under 21.

DCF is if you are married & living in the foreign country. Not every country allows it, check if Canada does.

:guides: - the tab at the top is quite helpful.

Edited by devilette

Filed: Other Timeline

Canada only allows DCF if the US citizen is a legal permanent resident in Canada at the time of filing.

y2ksbaby, K1 with K2 is probably your best legal bet at this juncture. You cannot enter the US, get married and then "apply for citizenship". Citizenship is a loooooooooooooong way off, and not automatically granted when you marry a US citizen. Go have a look through the K1 forum and Guides.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

That is 100% untrue. My husband definitely never had to leave the US, and neither did friends who have adjusted their status from visas other than K-1 or K-3. The only reason you would have to return would be if you filed for a K-3 or CR-1/IR-1 erroneously from inside the US.

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

That is 100% untrue. My husband definitely never had to leave the US, and neither did friends who have adjusted their status from visas other than K-1 or K-3. The only reason you would have to return would be if you filed for a K-3 or CR-1/IR-1 erroneously from inside the US.

The OP has a child, I think anything other than a K1 or K3 would be very difficult.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

The OP has a child, I think anything other than a K1 or K3 would be very difficult.

I agree in that situation, but was just calling the other poster out on posting totally inaccurate information. :)

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

I know a few people that went this route, however I do not recommend it. They went thru a lot of ####### to get approved, you are better off doing it the right way..........(K1 visa) I heard this straight from the horses mouth, who did the "tourist visa thing" then get married. He personally wouldnt recommend it. Good luck.

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.