Nessa

Tips

269 posts in this topic

I wouldn't tip a tattoo artist at all, they set the price of the tattoos, it's not like they're working for peanuts and need the tip to supplement their income like a waiter or housekeeping. You're already paying 450 bucks it's their set price. I never tipped any of mine.

I'm not cheap, I don't mind tipping but I figure if they set their own price the tip is included.

Michaela

Jun 26, 06 - 129-F filed

Sep 27, 06 - NOA2

Nov 28, 06 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS!!!

Dec 12, 06 - VISA IN HAND

Dec 29, 06 - MARRIED!!

Jan 8, 07 - filed for AOS and EAD

Apr 3, 07 - EAD approved!!!

Apr 7, 07 - EAD card arrived!

May 10, 07 - Interview....APPROVED!!!

May 23, 07 - GC in hand

Feb 10, 09 - I-751 sent to CSC

Feb 12, 09 - NOA1

Apr 20, 09 - Approved!

Jun 12, 09 - Card Production Ordered

Jun 19, 09 - 10 year GC Received

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
maybe I should request a raise. I want more kisses, more I love you's more you are so pretty :D

do i get tipped for that? :devil:

yeah a big tip that might follow that action :devil:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Timeline
I wouldn't tip a tattoo artist at all, they set the price of the tattoos, it's not like they're working for peanuts and need the tip to supplement their income like a waiter or housekeeping. You're already paying 450 bucks it's their set price. I never tipped any of mine.

I'm not cheap, I don't mind tipping but I figure if they set their own price the tip is included.

Michaela

yeah but I have 1 tattoo that I want upgraded in the future, not anytime soon and I'd like to have an artist I can trust and know will do a good job.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Timeline
maybe I should request a raise. I want more kisses, more I love you's more you are so pretty :D

do i get tipped for that? :devil:

yeah a big tip that might follow that action :devil:

johnson-ky-jelly.jpg

:devil:

*passes out barf bags to all onlookers*

can't spare money for lunch again today? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
The reason the American public is "expected" to compensate the restaurant staff is because in this country we have a principle of the basic and common etiquette of tipping for a personal service performed (anything you could have done yourself but instead have someone else do it to convenience your life).

Hogwash. Are you suggesting that it is expected to tip the folks that change your oil, pick up your trash, sweep the road in front of your house, service your hvac, bag your groceries, the cashier at the store where you could have used the self check-out? Gimme a break already.

So, Mr. Big Dog, if you feel that you have a right to have such control over another's performance, how would people ensure that they receive "appropriate service" from you?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

So, Mr. Big Dog, if you feel that you have a right to have such control over another's performance, how would people ensure that they receive "appropriate service" from you?

I'm sure, like myself and most other salaried employees, a significant chunk of his total compensation comes from variable compensation - which is based on performance.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Michaela

yeah but I have 1 tattoo that I want upgraded in the future, not anytime soon and I'd like to have an artist I can trust and know will do a good job.

I have had the same artist on 2 of my tattoos, I didn't tip either time, and he did an equally nice job. It's been a while, that was before tattoos were so popular so maybe the expectations of a tattoo artist in regards to tipping have changed since then. If you're wanting to upgrade I understand why you wouldn't want him to be upset if his expectations are to be receiving one.

Michaela

Jun 26, 06 - 129-F filed

Sep 27, 06 - NOA2

Nov 28, 06 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS!!!

Dec 12, 06 - VISA IN HAND

Dec 29, 06 - MARRIED!!

Jan 8, 07 - filed for AOS and EAD

Apr 3, 07 - EAD approved!!!

Apr 7, 07 - EAD card arrived!

May 10, 07 - Interview....APPROVED!!!

May 23, 07 - GC in hand

Feb 10, 09 - I-751 sent to CSC

Feb 12, 09 - NOA1

Apr 20, 09 - Approved!

Jun 12, 09 - Card Production Ordered

Jun 19, 09 - 10 year GC Received

I'm sure, like myself and most other salaried employees, a significant chunk of his total compensation comes from variable compensation - which is based on performance.

Well that is judged or determined from within the Corporation, and based on gross revenues, or activities as a whole, and not on one client/interaction/incident. What about the clients he works with directly? How would they have similar control over his income, such that he feels it appropriate to have over a food server?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Michaela

I have had the same artist on 2 of my tattoos, I didn't tip either time, and he did an equally nice job. It's been a while, that was before tattoos were so popular so maybe the expectations of a tattoo artist in regards to tipping have changed since then. If you're wanting to upgrade I understand why you wouldn't want him to be upset if his expectations are to be receiving one.

Michaela

that's the thing, I can't tell you what his expectations are. I wouldn't tip my tattoo artist in Brazil, but in Brazil we hardly tip anyone, just pizza delivery people, room service people, the restaurant bills come with 10% tips included in the bill, we hardly have people to bag our groceries and they don't take the card to your car, so I never tipped them, I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's why I was asking how it works here in the States, if tattoo artists expect tips then I'll tip.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Well that is judged or determined from within the Corporation, and based on gross revenues, or activities as a whole, and not on one client/interaction/incident. What about the clients he works with directly? How would they have similar control over his income, such that he feels it appropriate to have over a food server?

In my case, the allied business units I work with pony up money from their budgets for specific corporate employees who they feel they've had a good partnership with. The general pool is pretty meager (most of it goes to C-level execs), the real cash is in demonstrating good partnership with the business units.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

This is kind of long but it talks about when and how much tips for different situations:

Tipping Etiquette

I'm still looking for something on the "why" of tipping.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Yep. Raises and promotions aren't handed out around here for doing the bare minimum either.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I copied this off of Wikipedia:

In countries where tipping is the rule (for example United States), complicated social rules and etiquette have developed over the exact percentage to tip, and what should and should not be included in this calculation. In other cultures where tipping exists it is more flexible and no specific assumptions of the tip amount exist.

Some establishments pool tips and divide them to include employees who lack customer contact. At some restaurants, agreements among the staff require the servers to tip out members of the support staff (kitchen, bartender, and busser) at the end of their shift;[8]; this means that servers pay a certain fixed percentage of their sales (most often a portion less than 15 percent of total sales) to the other staff. Thus when a patron leaves a small tip, it results in the server having to receive less from the tipping pool than other staff. [9]

Tipping is not expected when a fee is explicitly charged for the service. For example, a service charge for all patrons that is automatically added to the tab with no tipping the rule in Brazil.[10] Bribery and corruption are sometimes disguised as tipping. In some places, police officers and other civil servants openly solicit tips, gifts and dubious fees using a variety of local euphemisms. For example, a traffic policeman in Mexico might ask a commuter to buy him a "refresco" (soft drink), while a Nigerian officer might expect "a little something for the weekend."[11].

This made me remember something else about Applebee's. Whenever I would clock out at night I had to enter my tips into the POS system. If your actual tip amount was lower than what the system "thinks" it should have been it won't let you clock out. So there were some times when I had to put in more money (up to double) what I actually made in order for it to allow me to clock out. This is for tax purposes, but it's not fair because I had to pay taxes on money I never actually got. And that's because of people who have that mindset that tipping is optional. Sorry but it's not optional and if you don't want to have to worry about leaving a tip here's a solution for you---eat at home.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
And that's because of people who have that mindset that tipping is optional. Sorry but it's not optional and if you don't want to have to worry about leaving a tip here's a solution for you---eat at home.

Plus most receipts actually say "Service NOT Included" at the bottom.