crommm

Travelling overseas with extension letter

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline

I received a letter from the CSC following I751 filing proclaiming that my permanent resident status has been extended for a year. Anyone travelled overseas using this letter as proof of permanent residence following expiry of their green card? Thanks.

Filed I129F Texas Service Center - August 16, 2004

Petition received -August 20, 2005

Approved- September 21, 2004

Petition Received by NVC- September 30, 2005

Medical Exam - December 08, 2005.

Follow up Varicella shot- January 04, 2005

Embassy Interview- January 07, 2005

Entered JFK , Received "Employment Authorised" Stamp on I 94 in passport- April 12, 2005

Married in the "city" of Madisonville, Tennessee (city lol)- April 16, 2005.

Applied For SSN- April 26, 2005.

Filed AOS & EAD - April 30, 2005.

AOS & EAD applications received by lockbox- May 02, 2005

Received SS card (no restrictions on SS card)- May 05, 2005

Did drivers written test, received Tennessee Certificate for Driving permit (state thing for aliens)- May 06,2005

Received NOA's for EAD & AOS (receipt date May 27, 2005) - June 03, 2005

Practical driving test, Received Drivers licence- June 04, 2005

Filed AP - June 29, 2005

AP application received by lockbox- July 01, 2005

Fingerprints & Biometrics Nashville ASC (excellent! hassle free) - July 05, 2005

Received AP NOA (receipt date July 01, 2005)- July 11, 2005

received email notification of change of interview date???- August 23, 2005 (weird!)

Received email approval of AP- August 25, 2005

Received AP- August 29, 2005

Still waiting on this %#@%$# EAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I recently flew to mexico after I received my 1 year extension letter. Before flying I made an infopass appt and got my passport stamped to verify that my green card had been extended. I thought this stamp could be used instead of the letter, I was wrong. On my return flight my wife (US citizen) and I were "detained" by immigration for about an hour until my 1 year extension could be verified. To make a long story short the immigration officer told me that the letter is what I should use when travelling overseas

I-751 (Removal of conditions)

03-20-07 - 90-day window opens

04-26-07 - I-751 delivered to TSC

04-27-07 - Check cashed

05-02-07 - Received biometrics receipt

05-10-07 - Received NOA1

05-17-07 - Received notice of biometrics appt. (for 5-29)

01-31-08 - Case transfered to VSC

03-25-08 - Application approved (Only took 11 months woo hoo)

N-400

04-10-2008 - N400 delivered to TSC

04-21-2008 - Received NOA1

05-06-2008 - Biometrics done

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used mine with no difficulties.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Letter has generally been accepted, without problem, by most VJ travelers!

Good luck!

Timeline

01-30-06 2-Year Green Card Approved

02-11-06 2-Year Green Card Arrival

11-05-07 I-751 Petition MAILED To TSC

11-08-07 I-751 Petition RECEIVED At TSC

11-26-07 I-751 Petition Transferred to CSC and Check Cashed

12-01-07 NOA For 1-Year Extention RECEIVED from CSC

12-17-07 Biometrics Letter Received / Scheduled for 1/8/08

01-08-08 Biometrics Completed At ASC

01-08-08 Touched

01-09-08 Touched

03-26-08 10-Year GC APPROVED!!!! HOORAY!!!

04-03-08 10-Year GC ARRIVES! GC Journey Over For Another 10-Years~On To Citizenship

N-400 Application

10-15-2009 Application Filed

10-16-2009 Application Received / Lewisville, TX

10-21-2009 NOA I-797 Receipt for Application

11-10-2009 Electronic Notice of RFE For Biometrics

11-12-2009 Biometrics Letter Received

12-04-2009 Biometrics

12-17-2009 Notice That File Has Been Transferred To Local Office For Standard Interview

01-19-2010 Interview - PASSED! HOORAY!

01-20-2010 Oath for NEW U.S. Citizen! FINISHED AND DONE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I used the letter twice now to travel: 1) United Airlines representative didn't understand the letter and it took forever until they let me actually check in in Frankfurt, no problems with immigration in DC - I got through within 2 minutes, 2) no problem with the airline (Lufthansa) but 2 immigration officers in DC didn't understand the letter and I ended up spending over an hour in secondary inspection until they got their supervisor to verify my status. :blink:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Georgia
Timeline
I used the letter twice now to travel: 1) United Airlines representative didn't understand the letter and it took forever until they let me actually check in in Frankfurt, no problems with immigration in DC - I got through within 2 minutes, 2) no problem with the airline (Lufthansa) but 2 immigration officers in DC didn't understand the letter and I ended up spending over an hour in secondary inspection until they got their supervisor to verify my status. :blink:

Did you show them your expired Green Card as well?

Timeline

I've never showed my Green card to the airline peeps, only to the POE officials.

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Timeline

sure - without it you don't usually get very far, no? :blink: the card isn't the problem - some people have trouble with the letter, thinking it's fake or something?

Timeline
I've never showed my Green card to the airline peeps, only to the POE officials.

probably depends on the airline or the place you are departing from - both Lufthansa and United wanted to see the card, even if it's expired, because the extension letter refers to extending the status for a year from the expiration date of the card and they need to enter that date into their system.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Georgia
Timeline

sure - without it you don't usually get very far, no? :blink: the card isn't the problem - some people have trouble with the letter, thinking it's fake or something?

If you take the extension letter and face the light, you will clearly see 5 or 6 seals through it. I believe one can find it hard to fake the letter.

Eddie

Timeline

If you take the extension letter and face the light, you will clearly see 5 or 6 seals through it. I believe one can find it hard to fake the letter.

Eddie

yeah, so? try educating the airline people and immigration officers :whistle:

Timeline

probably depends on the airline or the place you are departing from - both Lufthansa and United wanted to see the card, even if it's expired, because the extension letter refers to extending the status for a year from the expiration date of the card and they need to enter that date into their system.

American Airlines from any place I have departed from in the US have never asked to see my green card. It's not part of my ID that I show when getting checked in. The only time I show my GC is going through US Customs & Immigration checkpoints. Curious that some airlines care about seeing the GC.

Edited by Cassie

American Airlines from any place I have departed from in the US have never asked to see my green card. It's not part of my ID that I show when getting checked in. The only time I show my GC is going through US Customs & Immigration checkpoints. Curious that some airlines care about seeing the GC.

From what I understand, the OP is referring to traveling overseas. Not only the Customs and Immigration folks will want to see your GC, but so will airline employees before you check in on a flight to the States.

On the same note, they want to see the GC, even though it's expired, because anybody can produce a letter that says a GC's duration is being extended, but nothing guarantees that the individual was ever issued one.

If they didn't ask to see the physical GC, one wouldn't have to fake the letter, but just need to borrow a real one, right? :whistle:

Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.

Timeline

From what I understand, the OP is referring to traveling overseas. Not only the Customs and Immigration folks will want to see your GC, but so will airline employees before you check in on a flight to the States.

Erm, so am I :) I have never been asked by airline employees to show my green card when flying back to the US, ever. I am not sure if it's because I go through a PFI immediately afterwards or what.

The time I went through the PFI, I produced both my GC and extension letter, and the officer was very happy to see I had my paperwork in order. The extension letter (NOA1) is very distinctive, in the same vein as any Notice of Actions. Not really easy to fake them.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Erm, so am I :) I have never been asked by airline employees to show my green card when flying back to the US, ever. I am not sure if it's because I go through a PFI immediately afterwards or what.

The time I went through the PFI, I produced both my GC and extension letter, and the officer was very happy to see I had my paperwork in order. The extension letter (NOA1) is very distinctive, in the same vein as any Notice of Actions. Not really easy to fake them.

Cassie, it probably depends on the country you're flying out of. I know that in the case of Germany airline staff prescreens for visas or greencards (of non-US citizens) before checking in on a US-bound flight. I think it has something to do with some law that the airline is responsible for return transportation in case the passenger is denied entry into the US.

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.