Misty1979

New I-864 package

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Finally everything is starting to come together for the I-864 situation, but since our package is dependent fully on liquid assets, I'm a little unsure of exactly what to put in this thing.

Our original package was simple enough, my husband had his employment letters, W2's tax transcripts, etc, and our joint sponsor (his father) had all the same and exceeded the income requirements pretty easily.

The new situation is a little more complicated: My father in law passed away suddenly just over a month ago, and my husband is now attending college full time in place of his job.

My mother in law is going to be our new joint sponsor, but she is now pretty much retired, so we are using the life insurance policy to be the sole source of the assets, which will be in her bank account before the end of this month.

Anywhoo, I was just hoping you guys could look over what we have and see if we are missing anything, or if you think adding in any other documents would help:

(Most of this we have already, some paperwork we are waiting on, but will have within the next week or two.)

Here's what we have:

Husband's completed I-864

-Letter from Veteran Affairs stating he is using his veteran benefits to attend school. (will have soon.)

-First paystub from Veteran Affairs (will have soon.)

-2004/2005/2006 tax transcripts

-copy of birth certificate

Mother in law's completed I-864

-Letter from Insurance policy stating amount deposited into her bank. (will have soon.)

-Bank statement showing the amount of money on hand in her account. (will have soon.)

-2004/2005/2006 tax records or transcripts. (will have soon.)

I think that's it. The main thing that concerns me is whether or not straight up cash is going to be ok when I bring it to the interview. The amount in her bank account will be more than 5 times the amount required for the income, so I imagine it should be ok, but with her not having an actual monthly income, it does worry me a little.

Also, I think I recall some kind of additional documents being required if she was to provide tax records instead of official IRS tax transcripts, does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry for the looong post, it's past midnight here and I've been racking my brain all night trying to finish this thing up so I can relax and await judgement day in Montreal.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated:)

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Finally everything is starting to come together for the I-864 situation, but since our package is dependent fully on liquid assets, I'm a little unsure of exactly what to put in this thing.

Our original package was simple enough, my husband had his employment letters, W2's tax transcripts, etc, and our joint sponsor (his father) had all the same and exceeded the income requirements pretty easily.

The new situation is a little more complicated: My father in law passed away suddenly just over a month ago, and my husband is now attending college full time in place of his job.

My mother in law is going to be our new joint sponsor, but she is now pretty much retired, so we are using the life insurance policy to be the sole source of the assets, which will be in her bank account before the end of this month.

Anywhoo, I was just hoping you guys could look over what we have and see if we are missing anything, or if you think adding in any other documents would help:

(Most of this we have already, some paperwork we are waiting on, but will have within the next week or two.)

Here's what we have:

Husband's completed I-864

-Letter from Veteran Affairs stating he is using his veteran benefits to attend school. (will have soon.)

-First paystub from Veteran Affairs (will have soon.)

-2004/2005/2006 tax transcripts

Mother in law's completed I-864

-Letter from Insurance policy stating amount deposited into her bank. (will have soon.)

-Bank statement showing the amount of money on hand in her account. (will have soon.)

-2004/2005/2006 tax records or transcripts. (will have soon.)

I think that's it. The main thing that concerns me is whether or not straight up cash is going to be ok when I bring it to the interview. The amount in her bank account will be more than 5 times the amount required for the income, so I imagine it should be ok, but with her not having an actual monthly income, it does worry me a little.

Also, I think I recall some kind of additional documents being required if she was to provide tax records instead of official IRS tax transcripts, does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry for the looong post, it's past midnight here and I've been racking my brain all night trying to finish this thing up so I can relax and await judgement day in Montreal.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated:)

Main thing is be sure you have everything else you submit "to the tits".

If they have a reason to RFE you they will add on anything else that's marginal.

Sure would look better if your petitioner could get a part time job before the interview.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

We did consider the part-time job as well, however we figured since it wasn't my husband's income that they will most likely be looking at with the joint sponsor in the equation that it would probably be pointless.

If it sounds like we're going to be cutting it too close, we also have 3 properties we could have appraised to add in, however we would prefer not to unless it comes down to it, since appraisals can be costly.

Any other opinions?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

If they are U.S. properties, couldn't you just use the county's property tax assessment (the assessor's fair market value) instead of hiring an independent appraiser? Just trying to put out some ideas...

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline

Yeppers, they're US properties, but somewhere on the directions for the assets part of the I-864 it states that it has to be appraised by a licensed appraiser.

I would love to just use the tax assessor's value /sigh.

Then again, I guess I could just bring along the tax assessor's value as back-up, and if it does come down to it, I can bring those out, and hope they don't ask me to go get them appraised.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline

Hi Misty,

For the tax information for your Mother in Law, if she submits her 1040 instead of a transcript she just needs to submit all the supporting slips as well.

"If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy".

Also, for the returns, if she submitted a joint return with your Father in Law I believe you have to extract her income (if she had any) - with the use of supporting forms.

It is late at night you are right!

Edited by trailmix

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

do you mean mother in laws I-864A?

cuz thats what im using..

I hope its right..

Do we need their BC?

Edited by Earmuffs

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Timeline

For a Joint Sponsor, you just use the I-864 (One from the petitioner, and another from the joint sponsor.) The I-864A is a "Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member".

Yes, you need copies of BC's from both sponsors :yes:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

so when it asks i am the sponsor submitting this affidavit of support because (Check only one box):

do i do A or the joint one?

ughhhh

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Timeline
so when it asks i am the sponsor submitting this affidavit of support because (Check only one box):

do i do A or the joint one?

ughhhh

The USC in your relationship would check off "A" being the petitioner filing on behalf of your relative, and your MIL will check off "D" stating that she is the only joint sponsor :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.