SapphireDreams

Hi I'm new - Just wanted to say hello

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow thanks Laura, that is awesome information!! That is actually cheaper than I had previously thought too, so I'm happy!

Looks like we may be starting our journey's around the same time! Should be an interesting experience for sure!

not looking forward to the medical, haha.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Wow thanks Laura, that is awesome information!! That is actually cheaper than I had previously thought too, so I'm happy!

Looks like we may be starting our journey's around the same time! Should be an interesting experience for sure!

not looking forward to the medical, haha.

:D You are most welcome!

Nick and I will be filing at the end of this month..my clearance came in from Ottawa so I just have a wait a few weeks and I can pick up my divorce papers!! WOO HOO! :dance:

You know, it's a few thousand dollars in the end but isn't it totally worth it?!

Yeah, the medical..I hear it's pretty painless but still..getting naked infront of total strangers isn't a thing I really enjoy :lol:

Oh and also...

These boards are super addicting..lol I've warned you!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Hey there! Welcome to the Canada Forum! :D (And thanks for the recommendation BH45!)

I met my now-husband online (like Udella&Wiz, through World of Warcraft) and didn't have any qualms about admitting that I met him online. In fact, the only one who did was my mother. She tried to convince me to tell everyone that I met Bee through "a friend" :lol: When we had our interview at the Vancouver consulate, the officer told us that most of the couples he'd interviewed had met online... so don't feel too embarrassed!

Laura's got most of the procedure right, and if you do your research well, you'll soon be thinking "I'm so glad I didn't waste my money on a lawyer!". The only thing I would mention is the cost of the medical, which can change depending on which panel physician you go see. Mine was $275 in Vancouver - it'll definitely be more than $100 so do some research on it and ask around for the best one! As for your police clearance, there have been mixed responses as to the cost and validity of it. It can range between $25-$50 and have a validity of six months to a year, depending on where you get it from (RCMP or your local police force).

Definitely save everything when you go visit your loved one - it'll help when it comes to the interview. The consular office might not even want to see it, but at least you'll feel better not throwing away those boarding passes!

Any other questions, feel free to poke a few of us. We're always around to answer questions, whether they sound noobish or not. Just make sure to keep your sense of humor around here (and if you forget it, well IR5FORMUMSIE should still be kicking around as our resident comedian...).

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

You are right N&B...I just looked, it's around $185 at Dr. Seiden's in Toronto...

I thought it was less.. :) Thanks!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

You are most welcome Nini.

My police check cost me $24.75 at the local office. I have yet to book my medical cause NVC hasn't received our I129F file yet. I will be going to Dr Seiden's office in Toronto with my daughter. We will be going to get our photos taken on Tuesday for the doctors and consulate office.

I have the paperwork filled in and printed out in duplicate. I'm going to take other documents to the office to copy for the file I will be taking with me to MTL....when I go.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Many of us on here didn't use a Lawyer- most of us found VJ more helpful than any attorney :)

As long as your case is straightforward and you have no major issues like a criminal record, etc, I think you will be just fine without.

Hi - welcome! we used a lawyer b/c at the time, didn't know about Visa Journey - looking back, we wish that we would have looked for info on the web first before going to a lawyer - we would have saved some money. we have had some questions answered by reading posts on visa journey that our lawyer couldn't answer. Good luck to you! I'm in Toronto and my sweetheart is in New York too!

Darlene & Anthony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the nice words BH45 :)

Just thought I would post this link for you Sapphire, it is for Dr. Seiden, who is a panel physician in Toronto, lots of info on the medical on the website, fees, what they need you to bring etc etc

Dr. Howard Seiden & Associates - Toronto

Thanks for the nice words BH45 :)

Just thought I would post this link for you Sapphire, it is for Dr. Seiden, who is a panel physician in Toronto, lots of info on the medical on the website, fees, what they need you to bring etc etc

Dr. Howard Seiden & Associates - Toronto

Trailmix..thanks so much for this link :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! Were a pretty tame bunch here in the Canada section. If you feel really brave and have thick skin, venture out to the off topic forum,lol Even babies are not safe there,lol Enjoy,

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!!!!

.......good luck on your journey

you came to the right place!!!!

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.