no name

Oklahoma targets illegal immigrants with tough new law

304 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
What I am saying if I have a traffic accident where the police are called out I would be highly suprised if they chose to put me in jail because I choose not to carry any form of identification or that they would question my legality. However, if I were to 'look wrong' there is a very high chance that I would get the 'treatment'. I know this from personal experience, although as a one off, it's highly anecdotal.

ph, they can run your name thru the database. same for the vehicle.

also, you may get a ticket for not having your dl with you :whistle:

I do believe it is the law in any state.

License in Your Possession

You must always have your driver license with you when you drive. Show it to any police officer who asks to see it. If you are in an accident, you must show it to the other driver(s) involved. (More information about accident involvement).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs12thru16.htm

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
There is a difference between driving 'without a license' and not carrying your driving license while driving. A do the latter.

In OK ... get stopped without your valid DL in possession ... guess you'll need to produce a valid DL at your additional time and expense ... :thumbs:

§47 6 112. License to be carried and exhibited on demand.

Every licensee shall have his driver's license in his immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon demand of a peace officer. However, no person charged with violating this section shall be convicted if he produces in court or the office of the arresting officer a driver's license theretofore issued to him and valid at the time of his arrest.

OK Law

Suggest researching your State ... there might be a law like this where you live too.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Mr. 2nd Amendment himself...just remember that the next time you complain about gun laws that 'encroach' on your 2nd Amendment rights. We're just trying to go after the criminals after all. ;)

And I need to show ID to purchase ... and pay for a background check to PROVE who I am and that I am not a criminal or illegal alien. Also I need to show proof of CCW and ID if/ when requested.

And OK is going after the criminals ... and it's the illegals turn ... prove who you are if "you are being interviewed by police (busted,pulled over, witness to a crime..etc.) & do not have a Oklahoma dl or id when asked". If no proof ... you don't get to continue being here.

Now back to the illegal aliens and OK laws. This is not a gun debate. :thumbs:

:ot2:

I was hoping that you'd see the parallels between what you have expressed as an encroachment of your 2nd Amendment rights with gun laws and requiring motorists to provide proof of citizenship to a traffic cop if they are pulled over. This is on topic because it is essentially part of the same, larger issue ...our civil liberties, which aren't exclusive to the 2nd Amendment. If you only stood by the rest of the Amendments as fervently as you do the 2nd Amdendment, we'd both be on the same side of the argument. ;)

ok the federal gov't has done nothing to protect Oklahomas state funded assistance programs, from people that have 0 right for US or the state of Oklahomas assistance. the people of Oklahoma have leaned on our polititions to take action. (yes it is the right of the state to protect its programs). and they have.(a rep. lawmaker pushed it & a dem. gov. signed it into law...they are together on illegal immigration)

they are not going door to door checking papers. they are not singling out any ethnic groups. if you are being interviewed by police (busted,pulled over, witness to a crime..etc.) & do not have a Oklahoma dl or id when asked(in Oklahoma it is the law you get-asap-& carry state id on your person at all times--reguardless of your status) you then need to produce documentation of status (which you are required to carry anyway). (legal immigrant, visa carring visitor, USC, guest worker..etc.) if you do not have your paperwork...then they turn you over to immigration (remember its ICE's job to enforce the law) they will then deport or release people based on their findings.

now the beauty of this law. if you will fully house, transport, employ, or aid illegal immirants it is a felony :yes: (same as any felony-no right to vote, no right to bare arms...etc.) & pay a $1000 dollar fine per offense.

remember if you have done nothing you have nothing to fear!

the state of Oklahoma has had enough & has taken action....if you don't like it GTFO!

OK, here's a scenario I'm seeing.....

My son, who's in the process of being adopted by my husband, becomes a USC as soon as the adoption becomes final. He has an NC DL (or will have one in a couple of months). He goes to OK for a two-week camp/seminar/workshop. He just happened to fail to do a full stop at a STOP sign. An OK cop pulls him over, asks him for his ID. He shows his NCDL.

Based on the points you have above, the next step the police officer would do is ask my son for proof of citizenship or legal status. Is he supposed to carry his adoption papers around with him? Do we have to get him a US passport and have him carry it with him all the time?

What if it's my husband in the same scenario above? Will the police even ask him if he was a USC after my husband shows an NCDL or will the cop just assume he is one because he is white and has blue eyes?

I agree that anybody who is seeking state-funded benefits or aid should show proof of legal status but we should all be careful not to allow further infringement into the rights of USCs and those who are here legally.

Excellent example. Good post. :yes::thumbs:

However, no person charged with violating this section shall be convicted if he produces in court or the office of the arresting officer a driver's license theretofore issued to him and valid at the time of his arrest.

In other words, it may be an offense, but you will not be convicted if you do actually have a license and in my experience (limited though this is) the police will not hassle you about it if you look 'right'.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Even if, as in my example, you actually have no form of identification on you at the time.

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Mr. 2nd Amendment himself...just remember that the next time you complain about gun laws that 'encroach' on your 2nd Amendment rights. We're just trying to go after the criminals after all. ;)

And I need to show ID to purchase ... and pay for a background check to PROVE who I am and that I am not a criminal or illegal alien. Also I need to show proof of CCW and ID if/ when requested.

And OK is going after the criminals ... and it's the illegals turn ... prove who you are if "you are being interviewed by police (busted,pulled over, witness to a crime..etc.) & do not have a Oklahoma dl or id when asked". If no proof ... you don't get to continue being here.

I was hoping that you'd see the parallels between what you have expressed as an encroachment of your 2nd Amendment rights with gun laws and requiring motorists to provide proof of citizenship to a traffic cop if they are pulled over. This is on topic because it is essentially part of the same, larger issue ...our civil liberties, which aren't exclusive to the 2nd Amendment. If you only stood by the rest of the Amendments as fervently as you do the 2nd Amdendment, we'd both be on the same side of the argument. ;)

that's all well and good, steven, when you can point to me which part of the constitution covers driving......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

We are talking about a Privilege (driving) ... not a Right (2nd Amendment)

Apples and Oranges

Now ... :ot2:

Proof of citizenship … or proof of legal presence (status). Which is it?

Oh btw ... don't LEOs check for Wants & Warrants when you are stopped for traffic violations?

(I think you have a good source for answering this question ... please ask ... I'd like to know.)

And as for legal presence (status) … please review the below answer for the State of NC DL

OK, here's a scenario I'm seeing.....

My son, who's in the process of being adopted by my husband, becomes a USC as soon as the adoption becomes final. He has an NC DL (or will have one in a couple of months). He goes to OK for a two-week camp/seminar/workshop. He just happened to fail to do a full stop at a STOP sign. An OK cop pulls him over, asks him for his ID. He shows his NCDL.

Based on the points you have above, the next step the police officer would do is ask my son for proof of citizenship or legal status. Is he supposed to carry his adoption papers around with him? Do we have to get him a US passport and have him carry it with him all the time?

What if it's my husband in the same scenario above? Will the police even ask him if he was a USC after my husband shows an NCDL or will the cop just assume he is one because he is white and has blue eyes?

I agree that anybody who is seeking state-funded benefits or aid should show proof of legal status but we should all be careful not to allow further infringement into the rights of USCs and those who are here legally.

Excellent example. Good post. :yes::thumbs:

I think it's been answered ... and ignored ...

NC already does a check for legal residency …

NC DL Residency Requirements

The valid NC license covers the concern … so there is no concern. :thumbs::yes:

Filed: Timeline

that's all well and good, steven, when you can point to me which part of the constitution covers driving......

:lol:

:luv:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
My one incidence with the police was before I had my actual license. I had a temporary one for a while between taking the written test and taking the driven test. I didn't have any form of identification on me because I was going hiking. The police officer wasn't that bothered. I can only assume it was because I didn't look like 'a criminal'. Who can say?

YADA YADA YADA,

The Point in the OP is that OK is taking measures to enforce immigration Law and protecting the welfare and future of LEGAL OK residents.

More states will follow suit, and the ACLU can cry and scream all it wants there is nothing they can do about it.

The Law is the law, states like OK have the right to enforce the law and uphold the law.

Those who whine and complain about it obviously have something to worry about.

If you are legally Liscensed to drive and happen to forget your DL the officer can look up your information based on your name and D.O.B

So if you are legally liscensed you will NOT get arrested even if you forget your dl.(which in order to get dl you have to prove legal residancy ; BC, EAD,GC)

I think it is an excellent way of fighting illegal immigration, More states should conduct routine Check points for prrof of Dl & Insurnace if that happens to find illegals in the process then move to procede with immigration enforcement, just the same as if you are found in a routine checkpint and have warrants out or are not legally liscensed to drive you would get arrested & punished according to the crime you commited ( driving unliscensed, or revoked/suspended..ect..) You enter USA Illegally the penalty is deportation and ban.

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Timeline

Thezse Illegals Like to play stupid games about how it is unfair to enforce laws or for our govt. to

find ways of protecting its citizens.

This is BS "cath me if you can" attitude of illegals,

THEY ARE NOT LEGALLY AUTHORIZED to be here and should NOT GET ANY BENEFITS or Special treatment

Police should be able to act on Tips from legals residnets then Move immediatly to enforce immigrtaion laws just the same as if

you witness a drug deal or theft you would contact the police they would investigate then move to deal with the crime that took place.

In the case of Illegals the federal crime is punshed by deportation. BOTTOM LINE

If you don't like it then don't break our laws and steal from our country & GET THE F*@K OUT come back legally!

gewelcome-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Timeline
However, no person charged with violating this section shall be convicted if he produces in court or the office of the arresting officer a driver's license theretofore issued to him and valid at the time of his arrest.

In other words, it may be an offense, but you will not be convicted if you do actually have a license and in my experience (limited though this is) the police will not hassle you about it if you look 'right'.

In other words ... by the cited OK State law ... if you are not carrying your license when stopped ... you have to spend time and money to make your valid ID appear before the court date to nulify the ticket ... then no problem.

If you don't have a valid license ... conviction.

As for the rest ... "my experience (limited though this is) the police will not hassle you about it if you look 'right'." ... this was your limited experience ... :P

Timeline
I think it's been answered ... and ignored ...

NC already does a check for legal residency …

NC DL Residency Requirements

The valid NC license covers the concern … so there is no concern. :thumbs::yes:

Most states require the same, Illegals who drive are only risking getting caught in addition they are putting lives at risk and raising the cost for legal drivers to insure their vehicles.

Ca. does routines DL/Insurance Checks and i have driven through several one common thing I have noticed is that majority of the arrests from the check points involved unliscensed drivers and majority of those were mostly Illegal!

Att: Illegals YOU ARE Already here Illegally don't whine about enforcement if you dont want to get caught

Get a hint & don't continue to break the laws of this country by driving illegally.

WALK, TAKE THE BUS, Better YET GET THE F*@K OUT!

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My one incidence with the police was before I had my actual license. I had a temporary one for a while between taking the written test and taking the driven test. I didn't have any form of identification on me because I was going hiking. The police officer wasn't that bothered. I can only assume it was because I didn't look like 'a criminal'. Who can say?

YADA YADA YADA,

The Point in the OP is that OK is taking measures to enforce immigration Law and protecting the welfare and future of LEGAL OK residents.

More states will follow suit, and the ACLU can cry and scream all it wants there is nothing they can do about it.

The Law is the law, states like OK have the right to enforce the law and uphold the law.

Those who whine and complain about it obviously have something to worry about.

If you are legally Liscensed to drive and happen to forget your DL the officer can look up your information based on your name and D.O.B

So if you are legally liscensed you will NOT get arrested even if you forget your dl.(which in order to get dl you have to prove legal residancy ; BC, EAD,GC)

I think it is an excellent way of fighting illegal immigration, More states should conduct routine Check points for prrof of Dl & Insurnace if that happens to find illegals in the process then move to procede with immigration enforcement, just the same as if you are found in a routine checkpint and have warrants out or are not legally liscensed to drive you would get arrested & punished according to the crime you commited ( driving unliscensed, or revoked/suspended..ect..) You enter USA Illegally the penalty is deportation and ban.

Wow - law-enforcement by innuendo :blink:

Timeline

In other words ... by the cited OK State law ... if you are not carrying your license when stopped ... you have to spend time and money to make your valid ID appear before the court date to nulify the ticket ... then no problem.

If you don't have a valid license ... conviction.

As for the rest ... "my experience (limited though this is) the police will not hassle you about it if you look 'right'." ... this was your limited experience ... :P

The Police will Not arrest you and will not always ticket you if you simply " forgot your liscense" They will verify your liscensed staust using your DOB & Info you provide at most give you a fix it ticket and make you present your liscense to a judge. simple usually minmal fine.

I have forgotten my liscense whne going to the Gym and was pulled over once . I gave them my DOB ss#, and the officer verified that I was liscensed to drive and sent me on my way. I did get a seat belt citation. :angry:

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd