bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes they should tell you about the drug, no excuse in not doing that. Some insurance companies will only pay for a generic, if a generic is available. We have Federal Blue cross and they are really pushing the generic meds. We have a choice, but if you want the generic, ur deductible is a lot less. But no matter what, they should ask you questions about the meds! As well your Dr. should be going over them as well.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Jill, I agree that you should have been told about the switch to generic. I guess I have had different experiences than others here (perhaps from living in a small town? or just having a competent pharmacist?), but the pharmacists at Rite Aid have always discussed new medications with me. And back in September, when I had pneumonia and was miserably nauseous on top of constant coughing, my doc prescribed an anti-nausea medication. A few days later, when he prescribed an antibiotic and I went to get that filled at the pharmacy, the pharmacist made sure to talk to me about a dangerous interaction between those two drugs. He wanted to make sure I didn't take the anti-nausea medication while taking the antibiotic. So hopefully, there are more pharmacists out there who will take the time to discuss any new meds.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I'm fortunate in our pharmacy as well - they always ask if I have had this drug before or if I have any questions, and when I pick up my husband's cholesterol medication they always ask me if he is experiencing certain side effects.

My insurance doesn't want me to use a certain type of insulin even though there are no generics available and want me to use a totally different insulin (not brand but type of action) - which I have tried and does not work well for me - so accordingly the copay is 75% of the cost rather than 25% of the cost of the one they want me to use instead. They also want me to use a totally different glucometer - which isn't nearly as good as the one I do use and have used for some time now - and buy a whole new one made by their choice of company. I have to pay 75% of the cost of the test strips as copay as well. They are obviously 'in bed' with the drug/glucometer manufacturers of their choice, and apparently the doctor - who is the one who is supposed to be making such decisions - and the patient's actual medical needs - are only of secondary importance. It is very frustrating.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I guess I'm fortunate in our pharmacy as well - they always ask if I have had this drug before or if I have any questions, and when I pick up my husband's cholesterol medication they always ask me if he is experiencing certain side effects.

My insurance doesn't want me to use a certain type of insulin even though there are no generics available and want me to use a totally different insulin (not brand but type of action) - which I have tried and does not work well for me - so accordingly the copay is 75% of the cost rather than 25% of the cost of the one they want me to use instead. They also want me to use a totally different glucometer - which isn't nearly as good as the one I do use and have used for some time now - and buy a whole new one made by their choice of company. I have to pay 75% of the cost of the test strips as copay as well. They are obviously 'in bed' with the drug/glucometer manufacturers of their choice, and apparently the doctor - who is the one who is supposed to be making such decisions - and the patient's actual medical needs - are only of secondary importance. It is very frustrating.

That's terrible Kathryn. You hear alot of stories about insurance companies down here, and it's really shocking. Some people are literally dying and the insurance co's choose not to cover certain treatments, and if people can't afford it well too bad! It's good to hear other people's experiences.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I completely understand the frustrations about getting different medications than you were expecting, and not being counselled about medication.

I'm not sure exactly which states follow which laws, but in KY, we are required by law to substitute the generic equivilent of almost all drugs (if available, of course) unless the patient or doctor requests differently. Most insurances won't cover the brand name (even if the doctor requires brand), but if you want to pay cash price for it, you can request brand.

Some states have to get your permission to fill with generic, but I think most states are the other way around.

We are also required to ask the patient if they have any questions about their medication, no matter how long they've been taking it. I'm honestly not sure if that's a state law, or just a CVS "Law"... but we ask! lol

I can honestly say that I HATE insurance companies. I can't even tell you how many hours per day I'm on the phone trying to get them to cover certain medications. If it's too expensive, they won't pay.. if it isn't on their company formulary the won't pay. Most will eventually pay after the doctor contacts the insurance company to explain why he/she chose this more expensive drug etc etc. Meanwhile, the patient is stuck without medication waiting for all the red tape to be cut, and they're screaming and cursing at me because I won't give them their medicine. *sighs* I love my job. lol

Alf & Christy’s Journey

4/05/2005 - I met the love of my life

11/21/2006 - First meeting in person <3 (Alf in Kentucky)

5/21/2007 - Second meeting in person (Alf in Kentucky)

5/30/2007 - First trip to Vancouver! (Christy in Canada)

6/13/2007 - Beautiful, romantic proposal :)

7/26/2007 – Application mailed to VSC

04/07/08 - INTERVIEW!!!! @1pm - APPROVED!! :))

04/09/2008 - Moving day!!

04/10/2008 - Alf will finally be home!

05/31/2008 - Wedding! :)http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctrubenbach

The journey continues...

09/10/2008 - Mailed AOS package

09/16/2008 - NOA1 received (all 3)

09/25/2008 - Biometrics letter

10/02/2008 - Case transferred to CSC

10/09/2008 - Biometrics Appointment

11/26/2008 - EAD Card production ordered/AP approved!! :)

12/04/2008 - AP documents received

12/06/2008 - EAD Card in hand!

12/08/2008 - Applied for SSN

02/10/2009 - Social Security card *finally* received

02/23/2009 - Notice of Welcome Letter sent!! :D

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Ugh why does everyone suggest I go to a doctor when all I have is a freakin cold?? There is no cure for the common cold!

And then people always ask: "Did you take something?"

Why? Why do I always need to take something???? YES I TOOK MY ENTIRE DAMN MEDICINE CABINET AND I STILL FEEL LIKE #######!

Well... a cold can turn into something worse.

A few years ago, my mom told me to "rest and take it easy" when I had a cold. Naturally, I ignored her. I figured it was "just a cold" and I'd get over it as I had done before. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky.

My cold turned into pneumonia. I have asthma, so perhaps I'm more susceptible to that than those without it, but the point remains that what started as a cold transformed into a potentially life-threatening issue. I was given antibiotics and it took a long, long time to recover.

It's a good thing my mom was watching so attentively, too. My dad thought I was dramatizing my illness, but my mom took my temperature (105F) and drove me to the ER. I'm glad she did, since I was told that due to the severity of my pneumonia (coupled with asthma), it probably would have killed me if I had left it.

Is it just me or you find that Americans think drugs are the answer to everything here? You should see the medicine cabinet that Mel has- it is half a Pharmacy. When my stepson gets a sniffle, he is loaded up with copious amounts of this #######.

Growing up in my house we had a bottle of Tylenol, maybe some cough syrup and a box of band aids.

I can't speak for other people, but my dad's a physician, so we had tons of medication around the house. The only thing he suggested for a cold was the typical over-the-counter stuff that'd take away -- or at least suppress -- the symptoms. Sometimes that's important if you have work or school. It's hard to concentrate while your nose is running, your throat hurts and you're sneezing.

Well the United Kingdom/Britain refers to England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. England is just well... England.

Yeah, I've found a lot of people can't tell the difference between the UK and England. I think the problem is that the country most identified with the UK is often England. I first learned the difference in a World History course during high school. My teacher actually had an in-class argument with one of the students who insisted that England and the UK are one and the same.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

And now for a rant of my own...

My wife and I flew down to Houston, TX so we could package some of my stuff up and have it sent to us in Canada. This includes having my car shipped (although we're not boxing that up).

Due to the overall importance of our mission, I took the liberty of breaking a toe on my right foot. This thing hurts like a m0therfvcker! I'm walking like a spaz now, too. My dad shows no sympathy. In fact, my wife and I got dressed up to go out to dinner because he wanted to and simply couldn't understand why "a little foot pain" was slowing me down.

Next up... my dad. Again. He thinks he knows best. I'm having my belongings shipped up and he's telling me how I should have it shipped. In return, I told him that I'm shipping what I own by whatever carrier I wish. He doesn't listen, though. He never does.

This is how it works: He tells me to do something or suggests something (which isn't a suggestion). I tell him "no." He then processed to further emphasize his point and won't let up. I try to remain calm and keep telling him "no." Eventually, I yell because he simply will not listen. Once I do that, he tells me that I "have anger issues" and that I "need to act like a human being." :blink:

Of course... my dad never has a nice thing to say to me. I've lost over 80lbs in the last couple of years. Due to recent inactivity, I've gain maybe 10-20 pounds back. So my dad tells me, "You look really fat and awful." Well, gee... thanks dad! What would I do without you? :wacko:

Honestly, my dad is one of the most self-absorbed and completely egotistical people I have ever met. For instance, when I was younger, I'd try to get my hair to stay down before we went out anywhere (my hair tends to stand up as if I stuck a fork in a toaster) and my dad told me to "just go, it doesn't matter what your hair looks like." I then pointed out that he makes sure his hair looks good. My dad replied, "That's because I have a reputation to uphold."

Reputation? Yeah, I'm sure the waiter serving us or the kid behind the concession stand at a movie theater will really notice (or care about) your hair. :rolleyes:

My dad also maintains that he's "the best doctor in the hospital where he works." That's great. I'm happy for you. Why do you insist on telling me at every opportunity? I don't really care.

Some of the best so-called advice he's ever given (and never ceases to make my brother and I laugh) is when he tells us about women. He told us...

1. Get a girlfriend in college. She'll cook for you and do your laundry.

2. Never get a woman something practical. They like jewelry.

3. Have sex with as many woman as you can.

Now... let me be clear. The last piece of advice really sounds nice if you're single (which I was back then), but there's also a little difference between his day and today. There's a little disease called "HIV/AIDS" and far more people are careful about who they screw. Not everyone, but many more than before. As for the other two gems... well, it depends on the woman. Of course, my dad will say I'm just "being stupid" if I say that.

I've also found out recently that my dad cheated on my mom several times. He has no remorse about it and said it "saved their marriage." I suppose that's one way to look at it. Nevertheless, my brother and I were a little shocked and none-to-happy about this revelation. Even worse was that he told me that I will probably cheat on my wife and that "all men do at some point." He said I'll get tired of being with one woman and look for sex elsewhere, which -- according to him -- is apparently "okay." He also instructed me to never tell her if I cheat, since she "won't understand."

Imagine that. One spouse not taking it well that their partner cheated on them. That's some newsflash, right?

What really annoyed me about that is he was telling me that I will cheat on my wife and even giving me advice how to do it, in addition to saying it's "perfectly acceptable." Just because he did, why should that be any indication I will too?

Edited by DeadPoolX

Timeline
Ugh why does everyone suggest I go to a doctor when all I have is a freakin cold?? There is no cure for the common cold!

And then people always ask: "Did you take something?"

Why? Why do I always need to take something???? YES I TOOK MY ENTIRE DAMN MEDICINE CABINET AND I STILL FEEL LIKE #######!

Well... a cold can turn into something worse.

A few years ago, my mom told me to "rest and take it easy" when I had a cold. Naturally, I ignored her. I figured it was "just a cold" and I'd get over it as I had done before. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky.

My cold turned into pneumonia. I have asthma, so perhaps I'm more susceptible to that than those without it, but the point remains that what started as a cold transformed into a potentially life-threatening issue. I was given antibiotics and it took a long, long time to recover.

It's a good thing my mom was watching so attentively, too. My dad thought I was dramatizing my illness, but my mom took my temperature (105F) and drove me to the ER. I'm glad she did, since I was told that due to the severity of my pneumonia (coupled with asthma), it probably would have killed me if I had left it.

Is it just me or you find that Americans think drugs are the answer to everything here? You should see the medicine cabinet that Mel has- it is half a Pharmacy. When my stepson gets a sniffle, he is loaded up with copious amounts of this #######.

Growing up in my house we had a bottle of Tylenol, maybe some cough syrup and a box of band aids.

I can't speak for other people, but my dad's a physician, so we had tons of medication around the house. The only thing he suggested for a cold was the typical over-the-counter stuff that'd take away -- or at least suppress -- the symptoms. Sometimes that's important if you have work or school. It's hard to concentrate while your nose is running, your throat hurts and you're sneezing.

Well the United Kingdom/Britain refers to England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. England is just well... England.

Yeah, I've found a lot of people can't tell the difference between the UK and England. I think the problem is that the country most identified with the UK is often England. I first learned the difference in a World History course during high school. My teacher actually had an in-class argument with one of the students who insisted that England and the UK are one and the same.

Yea I have asthma too and it sucks. Its just these particular coworkers are ALWAYS asking me if I "took something" if I say something like: "I have cramps" or "I have a bit of a headache.." So from now on I'll keep my illnesses to myself. :lol:

When I say I didn't take something they say: "why not?" Its just annoying really.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
And now for a rant of my own...

My wife and I flew down to Houston, TX so we could package some of my stuff up and have it sent to us in Canada. This includes having my car shipped (although we're not boxing that up).

Due to the overall importance of our mission, I took the liberty of breaking a toe on my right foot. This thing hurts like a m0therfvcker! I'm walking like a spaz now, too. My dad shows no sympathy. In fact, my wife and I got dressed up to go out to dinner because he wanted to and simply couldn't understand why "a little foot pain" was slowing me down.

Next up... my dad. Again. He thinks he knows best. I'm having my belongings shipped up and he's telling me how I should have it shipped. In return, I told him that I'm shipping what I own by whatever carrier I wish. He doesn't listen, though. He never does.

This is how it works: He tells me to do something or suggests something (which isn't a suggestion). I tell him "no." He then processed to further emphasize his point and won't let up. I try to remain calm and keep telling him "no." Eventually, I yell because he simply will not listen. Once I do that, he tells me that I "have anger issues" and that I "need to act like a human being." :blink:

Of course... my dad never has a nice thing to say to me. I've lost over 80lbs in the last couple of years. Due to recent inactivity, I've gain maybe 10-20 pounds back. So my dad tells me, "You look really fat and awful." Well, gee... thanks dad! What would I do without you? :wacko:

Honestly, my dad is one of the most self-absorbed and completely egotistical people I have ever met. For instance, when I was younger, I'd try to get my hair to stay down before we went out anywhere (my hair tends to stand up as if I stuck a fork in a toaster) and my dad told me to "just go, it doesn't matter what your hair looks like." I then pointed out that he makes sure his hair looks good. My dad replied, "That's because I have a reputation to uphold."

Reputation? Yeah, I'm sure the waiter serving us or the kid behind the concession stand at a movie theater will really notice (or care about) your hair. :rolleyes:

My dad also maintains that he's "the best doctor in the hospital where he works." That's great. I'm happy for you. Why do you insist on telling me at every opportunity? I don't really care.

Some of the best so-called advice he's ever given (and never ceases to make my brother and I laugh) is when he tells us about women. He told us...

1. Get a girlfriend in college. She'll cook for you and do your laundry.

2. Never get a woman something practical. They like jewelry.

3. Have sex with as many woman as you can.

Now... let me be clear. The last piece of advice really sounds nice if you're single (which I was back then), but there's also a little difference between his day and today. There's a little disease called "HIV/AIDS" and far more people are careful about who they screw. Not everyone, but many more than before. As for the other two gems... well, it depends on the woman. Of course, my dad will say I'm just "being stupid" if I say that.

I've also found out recently that my dad cheated on my mom several times. He has no remorse about it and said it "saved their marriage." I suppose that's one way to look at it. Nevertheless, my brother and I were a little shocked and none-to-happy about this revelation. Even worse was that he told me that I will probably cheat on my wife and that "all men do at some point." He said I'll get tired of being with one woman and look for sex elsewhere, which -- according to him -- is apparently "okay." He also instructed me to never tell her if I cheat, since she "won't understand."

Imagine that. One spouse not taking it well that their partner cheated on them. That's some newsflash, right?

What really annoyed me about that is he was telling me that I will cheat on my wife and even giving me advice how to do it, in addition to saying it's "perfectly acceptable." Just because he did, why should that be any indication I will too?

Wow. :blink:

I don't even know what to say.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My dad did that too but it sure did not save anything at all, it only made their relationship worse !

I was as annoyed as you are but I finally realized that it was HIS life, not mine. It is not because he is my dad that I have to be in agreement with everything he says or everything he does. Personally, I hate cheating in every meaning of the word, I never understood why people do that and I guess will never understand... It is just something that is not in my book, what's the point in doing such things ??

I completely understand when you say your are annoyed by something like this. What puzzles me though is when I tell people that I am in love and do not need to sleep with other women, then they look at me with a strange look and ask me if I'm gay ! Well no I'm NOT gay ! So I try to explain that I am with my loved one and love and respect her so much, she is my love, my best friend, my partner, my other half :wub: ... still, some of them don't understand.

So then I proceed to tell them that a women is not an object, nor a sex toy but a real person and that it hurts when you do things like that ... yet, they still stand here looking at me like if I was a freaking alien and tell me "but we're guys, and normal guys like to have sex" ... well I sure do, WITH MY LOVED ONE.

Moral of all this ? it is not because we are guys that we have to think with our #### ! You can be a real guy and think with your brain (the one up there), feel with your hart, have some emotions, respect and common sense.

Edited by ozone_1974
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

K1

2008-07-09 : I-129F Sent

2008-11-18 : I-129F NOA2

2008-11-24 : Consulate Received

2008-11-30 : Packet 3 Received

2009-01-26 : Medical appointment (3 vaccines shots !)

2009-02-09 : Packet 3 Sent

2009-03-30 : Packet 4 Received

2009-04-28 : Visa APPROVED !!!!!

2009-05-01 : Visa in hand !!!!!

2009-08-22 : Big smile and moving to sunny Florida

2009-08-23 : Finally here in Florida with my babe :)

2009-09-17 : Civil wedding :)

AOS

2009-10-13 : Filed for AOS, AP, EAD

2009-10-23 : AOS NOA Received

2009-10-23 : AP NOA Received

2009-10-23 : EAD NOA Received

2009-11-05 : AOS Transfered to CSC

2009-11-18 : Biometrics Appt.

2009-12-04 : AP Approved

2009-12-11 : EAD Card received

2010-02-16 : AOS Approved and Greencard Received ! :)

Removing conditions on 11/16/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Holy cow DPX. I don't know what to say, but I can see why you live so many miles away. That's be hard as hell to live with everyday. (F)

I HATE SOMEONE ON THIS WEBSITE SO FING MUCH!!!!!! :devil:

/endvent

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Deadpool...don't mind me saying this but your dad sounds like a d-bag...you get me? :lol:

I wouldn't say something usually so rude about someones family member but man..he just sounds like such an a-hole.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I HATE SOMEONE ON THIS WEBSITE SO FING MUCH!!!!!! :devil:

/endvent

is it me? :blush:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.