wowswift

Filing for k-3 if out of the US?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have asked several people, one person said talk to a lawyer, one said they were able to do it the way I want too, and most others don't know or have the wrong information, but here goes the question anyways.

I am a US citizen and I am living with my boyfriend in Canada currently. Obviously, we will get married before I start filing everything, but I was wondering if I can do this while staying here? As I said, most people said no, but I read on the instructions for the I-130 form, that I can send it from Canada. Basically want to do it this way so we don't have to be seperated when we start the process and since he basically finacially supports me at this point (I am not legal in Canada) this would be the best option since again, we don't want to be apart, and just seems easier this way.

The whole situation was quite confussing, but I think I am pretty sure that I can do this from Canada, and wonder if anyone else has done it, and if I am actually able to do it from here. The person I know who did almost the same thing before, did it years ago, and I'm not sure how much things have changed.

This is what it says (from the USCIS.gov site for I-130):

Petitioners residing abroad: If you live in Canada, file your petition at the Vermont Service Center. Exception: If youare a U.S. citizen residing in Canada, and you are petitioning for your spouse, child, or parent, you may file the petition atthe nearest American Embassy or Consulate, except for those in Quebec City. If you reside elsewhere outside the United States. file your relative petition at the USCIS office overseas or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. For further information, contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Also, on the I-129F it has an option for if not currently in the US...

just wondering, any help or advise would be great.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I have asked several people, one person said talk to a lawyer, one said they were able to do it the way I want too, and most others don't know or have the wrong information, but here goes the question anyways.

I am a US citizen and I am living with my boyfriend in Canada currently. Obviously, we will get married before I start filing everything, but I was wondering if I can do this while staying here? As I said, most people said no, but I read on the instructions for the I-130 form, that I can send it from Canada. Basically want to do it this way so we don't have to be seperated when we start the process and since he basically finacially supports me at this point (I am not legal in Canada) this would be the best option since again, we don't want to be apart, and just seems easier this way.

The whole situation was quite confussing, but I think I am pretty sure that I can do this from Canada, and wonder if anyone else has done it, and if I am actually able to do it from here. The person I know who did almost the same thing before, did it years ago, and I'm not sure how much things have changed.

Petitioners residing abroad: If you live in Canada, file your petition at the Vermont Service Center. Exception: If youare a U.S. citizen residing in Canada, and you are petitioning for your spouse, child, or parent, you may file the petition atthe nearest American Embassy or Consulate, except for those in Quebec City. If you reside elsewhere outside the United States. file your relative petition at the USCIS office overseas or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. For further information, contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Thanks

I want to tell you that my husband ( us citizen) lives with me in Brasil since Dezember last year and we just got our I-130 and I129F approved a few days ago.

I have nerver heard that an us citizen could not apply when living abroad.

I am going to search for this information too I am worried now !

TKS !!

2007/03/01 - Marriege in Brasil

2007/04/10 - I-130 Sent

2007/05/03 - NOA1

2007/07/16 - I -130 RFE email waiting for the letter.

2007/09/18 - They sent a new letter as we did not get the first one ...... praying to get it as soon as possible !! Please.

2007/09/26 - Got the letter .. long history .. Docs Sent .. Thanks GOD and all my VJ`S friends

2007/09/29 - RFE Docs arrived there ... nightmare over !

2007/10/03 - Touched .. DID THEY FIND MY RFE DOCS ? I REALLY HOPE THEY DID.

2007/10/05 - Touched... They got the docs for sure .. We got a email .. ok everything is fine ..

2007/10/08 - Touched

2007/10/09 - Touched .. Now we are talking

2007/10/12 - APPROVED

2007/10/19 Touched

2007/06/18 - I-129F Sent

2007/07/02 - I got a MSC number but still waiting for NOA1

2007/07/10 - I got NOA1 from I-129F

2007/03/08 - TOUCHED for the first time .. TKS

2007/09/21 - TOUCHED Thank you GOD

2007/10/12 - Touched

2007/10/15 - APPROVED I just got the email We are jumping for joy !

2007/10/19 - Touched

2007/11/07 - Case fowarded to Rio de Janeiro Consulate ( My husband called NVC )

2007/12/18 - Interview APPROVED

2007/12/27 - Visa in Hand

2008/05/04 - POE - Chicago

AOS Journey

2008/06/28 - Forms and support documentation sent to the attorney office.... God Bless us ....

2008/07/02 - AOS Sent to USCIS

2008/07/08 - NOA Received

2008/07/30 - Biometrics Appt

2008/09/08 - RFE

2008/09/28 - Second RFE

2008/11/26 - EAD Card Approved 2008/03/24 AOS INTERVIEW AND APPROVAL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can file for K-3 while out of country, just file it using your US domicile address.

But consider the K-3 carefully, it is expensive, and the intendending immigrant has to wait up to 90 days to get an EAD card allowing work, adjusting status from K-3 costs $1010.

Consider just going CR-1, it generates a green-card upon entry, allowing work, and no status to adjust from.

CR-1 can be applied for 2 ways, one is by filing just the I-130 to USCIS in the USA, or the other is directly to the consulate that has jurisdiction over where you are in the foreign country, (You need to have been resident in the consular district more than 6 months)

Compare CR-1 to K-3 for your country, you will see that CR-1 takes just a little more time to get.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Yeah, I just read some things about the CR-1 visa recently and will probably look into that too. As far as him working, I am not too worried about that too, since he can play poker online lolol (how we met actually).

My problem is I sort of don't have a domicle addy anymore. I left me long term boyfriend in the US and just moved up here. Which is why I am worried.

But it looks like supernova's husband was able to do it. And I didn't mean to worry, it looks like your stuff got approved. Did he use the address in Brazil? If he is military, I think it was different because they're allowed to do everything overseas.

btw, thanks for quick replies.

Timeline
Yeah, I just read some things about the CR-1 visa recently and will probably look into that too. As far as him working, I am not too worried about that too, since he can play poker online lolol (how we met actually).

My problem is I sort of don't have a domicle addy anymore. I left me long term boyfriend in the US and just moved up here. Which is why I am worried.

But it looks like supernova's husband was able to do it. And I didn't mean to worry, it looks like your stuff got approved. Did he use the address in Brazil? If he is military, I think it was different because they're allowed to do everything overseas.

btw, thanks for quick replies.

In any case I would be looking at CR-1 through DCF it is the fastest process, then start working on re-establishing your US Domicile.

If you have not filed IRS returns, get them filed late, there is no penalty, and you don't pay taxes on foreign income.

For CR-1 you need to provide an I-864, and the I-864 requires 2 things, US Domicile, and IRS Return data. Many do it this way and have o problems.

Also if married more than 2 years, the visa type will be IR-1 which results in a 10 year green-card without conditions.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline

see, we havn't gotten married yet. and i havn't worked in years because I didn't have to before either. i don't think that the CR-1/ or IR-1 are going to be an option. I could use my former US address in Texas, but my ex lives there, and I think that would look way worse. And as for sponsering, I was going to use my mother since I havn't worked since 2004

Timeline

ok, so I see where it starts stating that i need a domicile and that is for the I-864 or the I-134

http://ait.org.tw/en/visa/iv/docs/Domicile.pdf

and also this

Domicile

Q: Can a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident petitioner who is not domiciled in the United States be a sponsor?

A. No. The law requires that sponsors be domiciled in any of the states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any territory or possession of the United States.

Q: If the petitioner does not have a domicile in the United States, can a joint sponsor file an I-864?

A: No. The INS Office of General Counsel has determined that under the act and regulations, a joint sponsor cannot be authorized in cases where the petitioner cannot be a sponsor by virtue of domicile. The petitioner must first meet all requirements for being a sponsor (age, domicile, and citizenship) except those relating to income before there can be a joint sponsor.

ref: http://www.immigration.com/I-864/affidavit.html

how bad would it be if I used my mother's address since like I said, my actual old residence is with my ex in Texas, and we were going to use my mother's address for where we planned to live.

Timeline
ok, so I see where it starts stating that i need a domicile and that is for the I-864 or the I-134

and also this

Domicile

Q: Can a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident petitioner who is not domiciled in the United States be a sponsor?

A. No. The law requires that sponsors be domiciled in any of the states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any territory or possession of the United States.

Q: If the petitioner does not have a domicile in the United States, can a joint sponsor file an I-864?

A: No. The INS Office of General Counsel has determined that under the act and regulations, a joint sponsor cannot be authorized in cases where the petitioner cannot be a sponsor by virtue of domicile. The petitioner must first meet all requirements for being a sponsor (age, domicile, and citizenship) except those relating to income before there can be a joint sponsor.

how bad would it be if I used my mother's address since like I said, my actual old residence is with my ex in Texas, and we were going to use my mother's address for where we planned to live.

Actually many do this, and also start getting mail sent there. This will start the ball rolling on re-establishing domicile.

Timeline

and also this

Domicile

Actually many do this, and also start getting mail sent there. This will start the ball rolling on re-establishing domicile.

ok, i guess i should since the only mail i ever got was my bank statements and they just have been going to my old address lol

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks

Hi Just reading old posts and noticed you were in Newfoundland...do you guys actually live there now? My fiance is from there and we are actually going there in March to get married.

Are there many Newfies on this site?? I don't recall seeing many.

Rena

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Filed: Other Timeline
In any case I would be looking at CR-1 through DCF it is the fastest process, then start working on re-establishing your US Domicile.

I know this is an old post, but just in case someone sees this thinking they can DCF in Canada, they can't. As the OP stated she is in Canada illegally, DCF is not an option. IIRC, in Canada the USC half must be legally a permanent resident in Canada for one year for DCF to be an option.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks

Filing your petition directly with a US Consulate in Canada will not work for you if, as you say, you're not in Canada legally. You can mail the petition to the US from Canada but you'll need a US address for USCIS to correspond with. It could be that of a family member. You'll also need a US Citizen sponsor who qualifies to sponsor your then husband. That also can be a friend or family member but ultimately you may find it more practical to return to the US and get a job. Somehow, you and your husband will need a means of support in the US. With the CR1 visa, he is work authorized upon arrival but getting a job is a separate issue. There's really no getting around these practical issues but you can find multiple ways to deal with them.

I'd skip the K3 and stick with filing just the I-130 package for a CR1 visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

yeah this is an old post. and we have since gotten married and will be filling for cr1 shortly. as far as the worry about money for the move, we won't have to worry. not like we're rich or anything, but we can get by for a long time without jobs and he won't be too picky about getting a job anywhere, until he finds something more suitable :) i know where temp agencies are :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.