bradcanuck

Lightbulb went off on head. AOS/AP Question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am waiting for my AOS to come through. Going to go infopass thursday for emergency AP however I did just have a ding in my brain.

If I am AOS, do I actually get a "greencard" in the mail when we pass the interview? If that's the case am I not on a 2 year "probation" period as a temporary resident or am I? If I am actually a permanent resident can I not re-enter the US any time I want with a GC? So technically if time was on our side we could wait for AOS approval and THEN travel without the need to spend $350 on AP papers and the infopass appointment?

Or am I just making the rules up as I go along now? :blink::unsure:

Thanks

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

there is no such thing as a probational green card....

if you have been married for less then 2 years at the time of your interview, you will get a conditional green card that expires in 2 years but it has all the benefits of a 10 year green card... you will have to remove the conditions in 2 years and then you will receive a 10 year card.....

if you have been married for over 2 years you will get a 10 year green card...

the only reason it is good to apply for AP is that you don't know when you might get your interview and your green card.. etc.. and you might need to leave the country before then....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Correct me I'm wrong but I thought there was no fee for AP if you submitted your application for AOS after a certain date. Thats what I understood from the fees explanation on the www.uscis.gov website...

CR-1/IR-1 Journey for Self

12th April 08 - Married in Australia

21st April 08 - Mailed off I-130 but with incorrect title on cheques

30th April 08 - USCIS returned petitions requesting correct title on cheques

2nd May 08 - Mailed out I-130s again! Finally on our way!!!

9th May 08 - NOA-1

7th Nov 08 - Tranferred to CSC

4th Dec 08 - Approved!!!

22nd Dec 08 - NVC # assigned

23rd June 09 - Case Complete at NVC (We slowed down the process on purpose to time interview accordingly)

18th August 09 - Medical

25th August 09 - Interview Date - Approved!!!

19th February 10 - POE L.A (No dramas, just SLOW)

2nd March 10 - Welcome to America Letter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Correct me I'm wrong but I thought there was no fee for AP if you submitted your application for AOS after a certain date. Thats what I understood from the fees explanation on the www.uscis.gov website...

There is no fee for AP (or EAD!) if you filed AOS after fee increase. That goes for filing at the same time or filing for AP and/or EAD after you receive NOA 1 for AOS.

From the signature, bradcanuck filed for AOS in July before fee change so I guess AP fee applies.

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So once we are approved AOS I won't need any authorization to travel? I can leave the country unconditionally and come back?

Yes, there would be a fee for me. I filed (received) July 5th.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

There is no fee for AP (or EAD!) if you filed AOS after fee increase. That goes for filing at the same time or filing for AP and/or EAD after you receive NOA 1 for AOS.

From the signature, bradcanuck filed for AOS in July before fee change so I guess AP fee applies.

Im so confused, can someone explain?

Filed: Timeline

Im so confused, can someone explain?

If you filed for your AOS before July 30th 2007 then you have to pay a seperate fee for AP and EAD..... as well as the fee for AOS..

If you filed for AOS after July 30th and you paid the New fee $1010.00 the the cost of AP and EAD is included.... you can file for the AP and EAD along with the AOS or you can file for them after you have recieved the NOA1....

Kez

So once we are approved AOS I won't need any authorization to travel? I can leave the country unconditionally and come back?

you HAVE to wait until you get conditional green card to travel which expires in 2 years. but remember to file petition to remove conditional status 90 days prior to expiration. if you need to travel urgently, you'd better apply for AP. btw, correct me if i'm wrong--i heard conditional green card looks like a passport. is that right? i'm not sure cuz i just filed my application.

you HAVE to wait until you get conditional green card to travel which expires in 2 years. but remember to file petition to remove conditional status 90 days prior to expiration. if you need to travel urgently, you'd better apply for AP. btw, correct me if i'm wrong--i heard conditional green card looks like a passport. is that right? i'm not sure cuz i just filed my application.

It's not just about approval brad, it's having the actual GC in hand. You need to show that with your passport when returning to the US. Sometimes cards can take up to 60 days to arrive. Mine arrived in 6 days. As well, if you have an interview, you could ask for a stamp. I got one in my passport, and it would allow me to travel back to Canada until I get my GC in the mail. She had actually asked me if I applied for AP, and I said no, so she gave me the stamp which was really nice.

No, the GC is a card, looks like a credit card. You're to carry it with you at all times, in your wallet I guess. And it's not green! haha

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

After you are approved for AOS - you will need to actually have the greencard in your hand (can be as fast as in 2 weeks) or get a stamp in your passport to travel - you don't need AP if you have the green card or the stamp. We didn't waste the money for AP either - just waited for the greencard and are traveling happily on it (to Mexico, Panama and India so far! :lol: ) Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

That's a tough decision, made tougher by the fact that AP now costs $305 (it was $170 before the fee increase). As others have said, there's no difference between the conditional green card and the 10-year green card in terms of its validity for international travel. It's really up to you whether you want to sit tight and hope that you have your GC in hand soon. Most people have their cards within a couple of weeks of their interviews, but an unfortunate few (my husband, for example) are stuck in FBI name check for an indefinite period. Unfortunately, most people don't make this unfortunate discovery until the AOS interview. I see from your timeline that you don't have an interview date yet. Is that right?

This is not to scare you--only a small percentage of applicants get stuck in the name check quagmire--but it is possible, and you may be left without the ability to travel for a while yet if you elect not to apply for AP soon. Even though it's encouraging to see people getting their cards four months after applying, there's no guarantee that the same will happen to you. (USCIS is nothing if not unpredictable!)

As you've probably gathered, if you apply for AP, spend the $305, and then get your green card a week later, you can't seek a refund even though the AP is not needed at that point.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

I'm confused. Niagaenola says "If you filed for AOS after July 30th and you paid the New fee $1010.00 the the cost of AP and EAD is included.... you can file for the AP and EAD along with the AOS or you can file for them after you have recieved the NOA1...." then AOS Despair says AP costs $305....

If you file for AOS, do you, or do you not, have to pay for separately AP?

--------------------

(Full timeline in profile)

25th May 07 - Sent I-129F to TSC

17th December 07 - Interview- APPROVED! :)

17th May 08 - Got married!!!!! :)

18th June 08 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

3rd October 08 - Green card in hand!!

26th August 10 - Sent I-751 to VSC

31st August 10 - NOA1 from VSC

10th January 11 - I-751 approved!

14th January 11 - 10-year green card in hand!!

22nd April 23 - N400 submitted online; NOA available in USCIS account immediately
6th November 23 - Interview; approval same day
28th November 23 - Oath ceremony scheduled

I'm confused. Niagaenola says "If you filed for AOS after July 30th and you paid the New fee $1010.00 the the cost of AP and EAD is included.... you can file for the AP and EAD along with the AOS or you can file for them after you have recieved the NOA1...." then AOS Despair says AP costs $305....

If you file for AOS, do you, or do you not, have to pay for separately AP?

StoryAngel, Sinice you are still in the process of getting your visa, you will be paying the $1010.00 for the AOS. Since you will be paying the $1010.00, you can file for your AP and EAD for no additional charge.

People who have already arrived in the USA, and already filed for their AOS, back in July or before, paid a much lower fee for their AOS, and the AP and EAD were separate fees.

You just need to plan for paying the single fee of $1010.

If it's going to be, it's up to me!

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

January 2005 - Met Annie online

February 13th 2006 - Met in Real - WOW!! Ikaw maganda!

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

February 27th 2007 - I-129F Mailed to Nebraska

March 6th - NOA1 Received.

May 23rd - NOA2, Received Approval Email

June 14th - Receive letter from NVC, packet on the way to Manila Embassy

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

September 13th - Annie is a huge success at the Embassy, SHE IS APPROVED!

September 20th - Visa in Hand, tickets purchased..

December 18th - Jumped on Airplane, Philippines for Christmas and New Year's.

December 27th - CFO Seminar Succesfully Completed

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

May 19, 2008 - AOS NOA1 Recieved, Biometrics scheduled for June 18.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.