AFQuaid

Britons in California

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I wanted to create a discussion thread specifically for Brits who now/or who are planning to reside in the state of California.

I'm from North-West England and moved to California via K1 Oct 10th 06.

What cultural/health/job/society/belief/diet etc challenges have you faced?

I'll start off by talking about the climate change. Being particularly pale skinned the California weather has been tough. Even baby sunscreen isn't strong enough. When I was here for a visit I thought it was a *nice* heat because it's not the same as the heat in Britain. But after being here for a whole summer I had to totally change my dress sense and worry if people notice how much I'm sweating buckets. I'm glad now it's over just about. I wore a *sweatshirt* for the first time last week since Feb. Plus have a nice BIG blanket back.ooh home comforts.

Fiona

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

Almost completed at NVC. Just waiting for them to send me an Interview date.

I lived just north of LA for about 5 years on a student Visa, met my wife at High School. My student visa ended so i came back to England. We got married last year (1st July 2006) in Chichester,(South Coast of England, close to Portsmouth) then earlier this year we decided to move back to California, and so we began the visa process. (I-130 sent to CSC in late Feb. / Approved July 6th)

She left in July this year to find a job and a flat for us. Little did we know it would be taking this long. So, i am now here in England, by myself just waiting for that interview date so i can actually plan something. Been away for almost 4 months, and its starting to hit me really hard. I just dont get why the US cant figure out a way to speed up marriage visas. Husbands and wives deserve to be together! :crying:

Anyway, hopefully before Christmas i will be living in LA with my wife, and both of us can finally get on with our lives.

Good idea starting this thread!

See you in SoCal. !!!

There aer a lot of Brits in Orange County. There is a place called the Olde Ship in both Fullerton and Santa Ana that cater to the British.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Ye I know what you mean. You wait for what seems like a lifetime apart, unable to plan or prepare your future then when ya finally get there ya do a headless chicken dance with the world on your shoulders trying to get everything set up. Suppost you need a few nightmares to get a really good dream.

It's good too edchels that you had that time already in America and such a decent amount to get a good feel of living here. When I visited it was for 3 weeks.

Jasman, thanks for sharing about the Olde Ship. That sounds awesome. Can you give us anymore details even if it's no long relievent?

I once heard on VJ (cannot for the life of me find the thread now) theres a pub in San Francisco that does *proper* fish and chips. Any idea folks?

Fiona

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

Jasman, thanks for sharing about the Olde Ship. That sounds awesome. Can you give us anymore details even if it's no long relievent?

They have a web site: http://www.theoldeship.com/

My British friend goes there a lot and says the food is up to British standards

If all goes to plan, we'll be in LA next spring, probably April or May (depending on when I finish my research fellowship here in the Elm City). We chose LA not only because my husband is an actor so we sorta kinda have to give it a shot for a while, but we also wanted to live somewhere as unlike London as possible. Yep, LA is suitably different!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

*hoping* to move to California next year sometime :)

If you get a chance, try the Olde Ship. Did I mention that they have about 20 or so beers on tap? :blink:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
*hoping* to move to California next year sometime :)

If you get a chance, try the Olde Ship. Did I mention that they have about 20 or so beers on tap? :blink:

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a go when I'm next out there. You do know you're not supposed to try all 20 :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I don't know if I count - I'm Irish so not a Brit, but I'm filing in London, where we both live.

We're hoping to move to LA before summer next year (depending on work and everything), we've just filed so there's a long way to go, but I'm still obsessivly looking on Craigslist at the very nice apartments and on Google maps streetview to find a good spot for us to park ourselves when we get there.

Great to see there's English pubs, they always look more like actual pubs in Ireland than so-called 'Irish Pub's' where they've got nonsense green streamers etc.

Well hope to see you all there in the New Year :)

xxxxx Poiteen

The UK Wiki

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey all you guys in the LA area, did you find any good websites for looking for an apartment in LA? We'll be looking to rent somewhere relatively cheap, but not in a terrible area.

I know about CraigsList, but I'm trying to see what's on offer in a few places so I can tell how much savings we'll need for the move.

thanks in advance!

Poit xx

The UK Wiki

Hey all you guys in the LA area, did you find any good websites for looking for an apartment in LA? We'll be looking to rent somewhere relatively cheap, but not in a terrible area.

I know about CraigsList, but I'm trying to see what's on offer in a few places so I can tell how much savings we'll need for the move.

thanks in advance!

Poit xx

There is a charge for it, but when we were out in LA last month everyone said Westside Rentals was the way to go: http://www.westsiderentals.com/ You can do a basic search for free, but I decided to get a sub so I could look into things more fully.

I was really surprised to see how far my budget would stretch in LA after living in London for 12 years... For the price of my poky 2-bed flat in Archway (including council tax), I could have my pick of 2-bed HOUSES with a garage and a yard in West Hollywood. And I was hardly living in glamourous surroundings before -- one night, the boy came home to find a junkie in the stairwell of the building. Nice. :huh:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a go when I'm next out there. You do know you're not supposed to try all 20 :P

At least not at once, those tankards they have are 32 oz :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.