7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello...not sure if this is the right forum...but here goes...a friend of mine received her green card in 2003....Her green card expires in 2013. Since 2005 she has been living in colombia..and is currently in colombia...Does she need anything else to re-enter the U.S.? Is her green card considered abandoned because she has been out of the country for more than 2 years? If so what does she have to do to re-enter? thanks

AOS -K2 Based for 8 year old daughter...wife already has green card in hand and daughter was brought over via join to follow - K1.

11/04/08 - I485 sent

11/10/08 - NOA rcd

11/26/08 - Biometrics

Filed: Timeline
Is her green card considered abandoned because she has been out of the country for more than 2 years?

yes...unless she has a valid re-entry permit (for which she applied before she left the USA)

If so what does she have to do to re-enter?
as a permenent resident? be petitioned again; If she wants tocome as a tourist, she needs tourist visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello...not sure if this is the right forum...but here goes...a friend of mine received her green card in 2003....Her green card expires in 2013. Since 2005 she has been living in colombia..and is currently in colombia...Does she need anything else to re-enter the U.S.? Is her green card considered abandoned because she has been out of the country for more than 2 years? If so what does she have to do to re-enter? thanks

Tell her to try this link. http://www.embusa.es/cons/immigrenreturning.html

Edited by Cloudy9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

If it's been more than 2 years, she's no longer a permanent resident.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You don't lose your status just like that... She will have to appear for an interview with possibly an immigration judge and she will have to show them that she didnt fail to remain a resident (job, house, bank account, money, family, etc...) in the US. My wife's friend's dad has had his green card since 1980 but he spends most of his time in Brazil, well, last time he came in, they took his green card away and they told him he had to go to the Orlando Local office to get ir back. So he did and they made him file some forms, go through an interview and after like 3 months he got his green card back.

0.14..MY%20TIMELINE.png

06/05/01 - Entered the U.S. on a B2 Visa with parents (17 years old at the time)

01/05/07 - Got married

04/04/07 - AOS package mailed :)

04/08/07 - On Easter Sunday - Package received DAY 1

04/17/07 - NOA1 Received. (Dated 04/13/2007) DAY 10

04/18/07 - Touched DAY 11

04/19/07 - Touched AGAIN DAY 12

04/20/07 - Biometrics appt notice received (05-02-07) DAY 13

04/27/07 - I-130 Touched DAY 20

05/02/07 - Biometrics (Took us 8 minutes - no kidding) DAY 25

05/03/07 - I-485 Touched DAY 26

05/17/07 - Interview letter arrived (07-17-07) DAY 41

07/17/07 - Interview - Everything went well but received an RFE DAY 102

08/28/07 - RFE sent - Took a long time to get what they needed DAY 144

08/29/07 - RFE received - DAY 145

10/04/07 - Email: Notice welcoming new resident mailed - DAY 180

10/05/07 - Touched - DAY 181

10/09/07 - Welcome Notice received. - DAY 185

10/10/07 - Card production ordered. - DAY 186

10/17/07 - Green card received !!!!!!!! - Day 193

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You don't lose your status just like that... She will have to appear for an interview with possibly an immigration judge and she will have to show them that she didnt fail to remain a resident (job, house, bank account, money, family, etc...) in the US. My wife's friend's dad has had his green card since 1980 but he spends most of his time in Brazil, well, last time he came in, they took his green card away and they told him he had to go to the Orlando Local office to get ir back. So he did and they made him file some forms, go through an interview and after like 3 months he got his green card back.

They wouldn't have taken it away if they didn't consider him to have abandoned his status. I bet those forms cost lost of money, and while he may have been able to prove he didn't fail to maintain status, that may not be the case for the OP's friend.

If she failed to file a tax return at any time, she is no longer a permanent resident. Also, no US bank accounts, or bank accounts that lie dormant, no property, or any real ties to the country would make her a non-resident. (Family is mentioned nowhere - simply having family that stays in a country doesn't help you maintain your status if you have no other ties...)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1333.html

If a re-entry permit wasn't secured before leaving, she can apply for a returning resident visa (which is probably a better idea than just showing up at POE), but can be turned down if she failed to maintain status.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello...not sure if this is the right forum...but here goes...a friend of mine received her green card in 2003....Her green card expires in 2013. Since 2005 she has been living in colombia..and is currently in colombia...

She screwed up or maybe she did intend to just go and live in Colombia and adios to USA. Most if not all Colombians here know that if you intend to leave for a long time you better get your citizenship first (she had the chance as she had her old greencard for 2 years and then her new one for 2 more - she could have applied for citizenship in 3 years if married and 5 if not married.)

Some of my friends want to settle in Colombia - its cheaper, more fun and the wives have stronger ties to their families - but all of them are getting their spouses to learn English and get their citizenship before they ever finalize their moves. This way they can always come back for visits or even if they abandon their idea of living in Colombia. I am waiting to get my wife to file for her citizenship (in a year's time) and then we can live 4 to 6 months in Colombia/India etc. (during the winter/colder months) and head back here during the warmer months.

Good Luck to your friend but basically she can try and come back here and be denied entry or start this process all over again.

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.