wmw

Past Prison Time in Mexico a Problem? CIMT?

39 posts in this topic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

well you have to expect people will be a bit put out. especially when you act like it was no big deal since he didnt actually kill the person. i guess you have convinced yourself he just made a slight error in judgement or had some misplaced friendship loyalty. so did mob guys and gang members.

He helped dispose of a murder victims body. He is as guilty as they are. And anyone in their right mind when faced with that would go to the police immediately. Glad you're in love with him and im sure you have convinced yourself he is a great up standing guy.

Even the night stalker got married you know while in jail. Im sure she was convinced too that he just made a slight error in judgement. and plenty of accomplices to murder get off with a deal or a plead. still doesnt make them someone who is safe in society, or who should get a visa. theres a reason they can deny for criminal activity. we have enough of it here in the usa. we dont need it imported from some other country.

Would you have done the same if your friend asked you to drive her out of town to get rid of someone she killed?????

you cant gloss over something like that. its horredous. doesnt matter he got off.

Good luck to you, nothing personal but i hope he doesnt get a visa. i dont want him living on my street.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
well you have to expect people will be a bit put out. especially when you act like it was no big deal since he didnt actually kill the person. i guess you have convinced yourself he just made a slight error in judgement or had some misplaced friendship loyalty. so did mob guys and gang members.

He helped dispose of a murder victims body. He is as guilty as they are. And anyone in their right mind when faced with that would go to the police immediately. Glad you're in love with him and im sure you have convinced yourself he is a great up standing guy.

Even the night stalker got married you know while in jail. Im sure she was convinced too that he just made a slight error in judgement. and plenty of accomplices to murder get off with a deal or a plead. still doesnt make them someone who is safe in society, or who should get a visa. theres a reason they can deny for criminal activity. we have enough of it here in the usa. we dont need it imported from some other country.

Would you have done the same if your friend asked you to drive her out of town to get rid of someone she killed?????

you cant gloss over something like that. its horredous. doesnt matter he got off.

Good luck to you, nothing personal but i hope he doesnt get a visa. i dont want him living on my street.

Chris

This reminds me of that famous old saying I think all of us learned when we were six years old or so: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I agree that his past behaviour is questionable, however tearing into his wife about her decision to marry him, and what it would mean if he moved onto your street is not what this board is about. She was asking whether or not she thinks this could affect their chances of obtaining a visa, so ripping on her about her husband's past mistakes seems not only unnecessary, but also pointless since you are a stranger trying to change her opinions about the man she has already committed her life to.

For the OP, I hope you do come back and post what the attorney had to say regarding your question. As far as I know, every country needs a police certificate, so I do think that is something you two should start working on acquiring. Good luck with your consultation, and please keep us posted :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

WMW...really not sure about the answers to your questions, but I'd recommend heading over to www.immigrate2us.net, as they are much less judgemental and scary over there.

And, as you have seen here, people who have NO input and NO clue how to answer your questions will come on here and not only cut you down, but make stupid, uniformed comments about your partner's country.

Many folks with waivers have learned to post elsewhere, and I recommend you do the same! Even if they can't help you directly, they can point you in the right direction and be encouraging.

Suerte.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Timeline
I agree that his past behaviour is questionable,

you think thats ONLY questionable? he can live on your street then, next to you.

and i didnt say anything about his country in specific. I said we dont need any imported criminals from any other country, meaning any country in general. we have enough crime here for us all.

sorry i didnt break out the cookies and milk for her post. but dumb things 18 year olds do dont include helping dispose of a murdered body. at least not in my book.

i didnt know this site was for coddling people, good to know that other site welcomes that kind of behavior or history with open arms.

And for good or bad, we also learned at 6 years old " we are who we hang out with" . :thumbs:

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline
And for good or bad, we also learned at 6 years old " we are who we hang out with" . :thumbs:

and that quote is refering to him and his choice to hang out with guys doing bad things. He had a choice there. ( not her as it appeared after i read it.)

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I agree that his past behaviour is questionable,

you think thats ONLY questionable? he can live on your street then, next to you.

and i didnt say anything about his country in specific. I said we dont need any imported criminals from any other country, meaning any country in general. we have enough crime here for us all.

sorry i didnt break out the cookies and milk for her post. but dumb things 18 year olds do dont include helping dispose of a murdered body. at least not in my book.

i didnt know this site was for coddling people, good to know that other site welcomes that kind of behavior or history with open arms.

Chris

Call it what you will. The point still stands that someone with a valid question was posting here in hope of answers, and you were cutting her down because of her husband's past mistakes. And whoever taught you "we are who we hang out with" needs to be slapped, as that quote makes no sense whatsoever. Also it still doesn't have anything to do with what is going on here, as I was defending the OP, not her husband. I don't agree with his choice in being an accomplice to murder, and didn't even imply that.

All I'm saying is that I don't see the point in posting if you don't have any sound advice to give, which is what a forum like this is here for.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have to declare all past crimes. Not just those that may appear on a Police Certificate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You have to declare all past crimes. Not just those that may appear on a Police Certificate.

Boiler's made the point I was going to. You have to disclose arrests, too, and the U.S. usually does not recognize other countries' pardons or expunging the records as overriding the crime indicating moral turpitude. If he's found inadmissible, then you qualify as a relative to file an I-601 waiver, where you, the USC, argue that it would be an extreme hardship to you to relocate to your fiance's country.

On this sort of thing, the devil is 100% in the details. How old was he? Was he the driver? Was he found not guilty or did he plea? Were there one charge or many? (If this were a drug case, the difference between 'no problem' and 'inadmissible' might be something as simple as 'were they on a street corner near a school?')

And that's well beyond anyone's expertise here. A site like visajourney is only good insofar as the experiences are shared. Get yourself a good lawyer. (People over at immigrate2us.net probably will have good suggestions for one.)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

Boiler's made the point I was going to. You have to disclose arrests, too, and the U.S. usually does not recognize other countries' pardons or expunging the records as overriding the crime indicating moral turpitude. If he's found inadmissible, then you qualify as a relative to file an I-601 waiver, where you, the USC, argue that it would be an extreme hardship to you to relocate to your fiance's country.

On this sort of thing, the devil is 100% in the details. How old was he? Was he the driver? Was he found not guilty or did he plea? Were there one charge or many? (If this were a drug case, the difference between 'no problem' and 'inadmissible' might be something as simple as 'were they on a street corner near a school?')

And that's well beyond anyone's expertise here. A site like visajourney is only good insofar as the experiences are shared. Get yourself a good lawyer. (People over at immigrate2us.net probably will have good suggestions for one.)

As far as inadmissible goes, if he was not convicted then he would not be inadmissible. If he was then it is probably considered a CIMT and would have to file a waiver. If it is just an arrest, he would have to say he was arrested. If he started explaining all the details, then I am sure the CO will look at him in a different light just as the folks on this site have. It is a pretty horrific type of situation that most average people would be very concerned about. I wouldn't recommend going anywhere without a lawyer on this one.

Support Family Unity- www.americanfamiliesunited.org. Become a member today!

Filed: Timeline

Caladan and Boiler are absolutely correct....it's not just convicted crimes that one must disclose.....check question 31 on the ds-230:

Have you ever been charged, arrested, or convicted of any offense or crime?

Whether or not it's been expunged from his record is really superfluous at this point. And according to the OP, her husband did, in fact, partake in the crime of being an accessory after the fact in a homicide. So firstly, the OP's husband is going to have to explain the circs, and 'I didn't kill the guy, I only helped dispose of his body' is not going to make this a nonissue in deciding eligibility for admission.

Of course, that's my opinion....but if this isn't considered a CIMT, then I'll run around my block naked only wearing running shoes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with Lisa.

He is going to have to show those arrest papers.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.