Misty1979

Death of Co-sponsor

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:crying::crying::crying:

Between the most recent events in our family and the visa issues that have just arrived as of now, both my hubby and I are beside ourselves trying to cope with the new obstacles ahead of us.

First and foremost: Early yesterday afternoon a tragic, horrible accident happened in which my mother in law almost drowned in the ocean, and my father in law died saving her life. I've been here in NC visiting for a week now, and received a frantic phone call from my mom-in-law telling me that my father-in-law had almost drowned and had just been pulled from the ocean and was at this very moment being given CPR...trying to bring him back to life.

God bless her soul....my M.I.L asked me to go break it to my hubby very gently that his father was fighting for his life, and needed him there.

After hanging up with my M.I.L I rushed into the bedroom to wake up my hubby who had just woken up (he'd been awake last night finishing off homework from his evening classes at college), to tell him the bad news.

We arrived at the beach where his father had been fighting for his life expecting to find an ambulance with his father in it fighting to contain his life, instead only to find his mother and a police officer waiting for us. As we approached, his mother informed us that his father didn't make it, and that he had passed away shortly after the phone call.

We spent all of yesterday grieving with his mother. I cannot possibly even go into words how much this has hurt my husband's family. His mother feels entirely responsible since he died saving her life.

My husband is staying strong..I'm so extremely proud of him..he's been holding it together for his whole family thus far, and I admire him so much for his strength.

Even though he was only my father in law, I am grieving more than I thought possible right now. As I recall my husband telling me right before I first met his father "he was the kind of man who would without hesitation give you the shirt off his back," and both him and my mother in law have gone far beyond that since I joined their family. It's safe to say, both of them have been adopted parents of mine, and I can't begin to put into words how much sorrow I feel both over his loss, and the sudden burden of guilt my M.I.L has been carrying the last 24 hours.

Now it gets tricky. I don't even like bringing this up, because I feel like I'm being selfish and horrible, but I know it's an issue we will have to face in the near future, so I realize it's something we need to look at ASAP.

My father in law was also our co-sponsor for our Affadavit of Support. My husband is attending school right now and is making a few thousand short of the min. amount required for a sponsor, therefore we needed some help in this area.

With my father in law passing, and an interview due any day now (*cough cough*) we are stuck worrying about trying to scramble together enough financial resources in a possibly limited amount of time to satisfy the Montreal Consulate.

I don't know much about my mother/father in law's financial business, but I don't think there was a life insurance policy in place. My mother in law will be struggling to keep herself on her feet, since she is working a job that doesn't pay much, and will be selling her property (she would rather not live in the house they shared together since it has too many memories for her to deal with right now.) They have in total three pieces of land, two vehicles, and more than enough to meet the financial requirements asset-wise.

The only options for us right now would be for us to fill out a new Affadavit of Support using her assets, since she doesn't make enough in her current job to meet the income requirements alone, or to seek other help like his brother or uncle.

The brother/uncle option doesn't seem as logical since they aren't as close to us, so we don't feel like we should try calling on their help for this.

We know she would be more than happy to sign the forms for us, since his father was very supportive of it as well, however we just feel awkward laying this burden on her. Not only that, we also worry that a co-sponsor using mostly assets (even if well above the min. required amount) would not satisfy the interviewer come that time, and that we would be struggling last minute to find a way around this last obstacle.

Either way, which ever option we choose, we won't approach it until the time draws nearer. Right now we realize we need to be giving as much support to his mother as we possibly can, and generally being there for our family. We are only trying to look at our future with as much clarity as possible, since what has happened now can affect both our lives in a big way.

That being said, does anyone have any experience using mostly assets to cover the financial part of the Affadavit of support? Is it going to be too risky to bother with? I really don't know where to go from here, so any help would be appreciated.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm truly and incredibly sorry for your loss. I know words are of little import at this time but if it's any comfort your F-I-L died a hero's death. I really can't think of a more noble way to pass. Please just wait for the grief to subside before doing anything. Once it has passed then you will be better able to make a prudent decision. I have heard of using assets to cover the financial part of the Affidavit of Support and it isn't too different than what you have now, but I wish I could be of more help. At least the house will be sold by the time of the interview so you'll have some liquid assets to show. I would try to get an appraisal from a realtor or a bank officer or if you have recent financial records of transactions in the area (try to see if there is a real estate paper with houses in the area for sale or a tax assessment with the property value). I wish I was more help.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am sorry for your loss

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
I'm truly and incredibly sorry for your loss. I know words are of little import at this time but if it's any comfort your F-I-L died a hero's death. I really can't think of a more noble way to pass. Please just wait for the grief to subside before doing anything. Once it has passed then you will be better able to make a prudent decision. I have heard of using assets to cover the financial part of the Affidavit of Support and it isn't too different than what you have now, but I wish I could be of more help. At least the house will be sold by the time of the interview so you'll have some liquid assets to show. I would try to get an appraisal from a realtor or a bank officer or if you have recent financial records of transactions in the area (try to see if there is a real estate paper with houses in the area for sale or a tax assessment with the property value). I wish I was more help.

Thank you very much for your response. The acknowledgement from you that he died a "hero's death" meant more to me than you will ever know. That has been the one piece of mind that we have all been able to hold onto throughout all this. He stuck to his ways right to the end. He gave right from the moment he knew how, and kept doing so until his last breath.

I'm glad you mentioned the liquid assets part of the equation, I hadn't actually thought that far ahead as to the selling of the house. My mind has been pretty con-fuzzled for the last 24 or so hours :wacko:

You've been an unbelievable amount of help with just your kind words, and I can't thank you enough for that (F)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

First off, let me say how sorry I am for you and your husband, and his family's loss. What a tragic situation. (F)

I note from your timeline you don't have an interview date yet. Maybe you do and your timeline has not been updated? Perhaps you're hoping it's soon...

I'd take more than a few days to rally around your family right now. You mentioned you don't think he had life insurance, but you really don't know that. I suppose you know what kind of financial situation they were in given your F.I.L. had filled out an Affadavit of Support already for you.

I can understand you feeling guilty or selfish, thinking of these kinds of things right now. Don't our minds work in strange ways! Note that Im including mine as well here!

I'm sure in a week, after the funeral and reading of the will and such is over, you could talk to your husband about this, and you could both talk to your M.I.L. I'm sure it will work out.

I am very close to my In-Laws as well, and call them Mom and Dad. I"m glad you are there for everyone right now as well. Keep everyone close, and care for one another. We're thinking of you.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sooo sorry for your tragic loss. Right now just focus on getting through this terrible time. In a couple of weeks take a good look at the situation and I'm sure that your options will be much clearer .. you have some time before your interview in Montreal.

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm soooo sorry to hear about your loss. :(

As for the affidavit of support, any USC or LPR can be a co-sponsor. Does your husband have a close friend willing to co-sponsor?

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

Oh Misty!!! I don't have any advice for you, but I am sending lots of hugs and support to you and your family. You have been my internet buddy for a while now and I wish I could be there for you.

You will probably have lots of time to figure out the co-sponsor thing, but for now, just be with your family.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so truly sorry for your families loss.

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Timeline

Hi Misty,

That is so tragic, I'm so sorry that happened to you and your family. I was reading it and - well it's just shocking. Your FIL sounds like he was a truly good man and I am sure with time your MIL will know that he did what he had to do and in no way is it her fault, poor woman!

I understand that you are worried about you I-864 situation, it is a big deal and I'm sure, as others have mentioned, you will get it sorted out over the next few weeks. There are some notes on page 3 of the I-864 in relation to a substitute sponsor.

The thing with assets is that one stipulation is that it has to be seen to not cause undue hardship if the asset must be sold to support the immigrant. As you mentioned, the assets will exceed the required amount, therefore you shouldn't have a problem with that. The assets must equal 5 times the poverty guidelines for the household size. There are examples of how to work out this scenario on page 9 of the I-864 instructions. Also something to note is that those assets can be used to make up the part where income falls short - so as your Husband has some earnings that will help as well.

Anyway, we are only using assets and our I-864 has been accepted, we were never RFE'd for assets, just domicile.

Hang in there.

May He rest in peace. I'm so sorry for your loss.

~Laura

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Misty, I had a thought. You're out west so you could interview for a K3, enter the U.S. file for EAD and deal with your CR-1 later. You could always postpone your CR-1 interview until you get a co-sponsor.

Vancouver, last time I checked, does not require a I-134 (sort of a mini-affidavit) for K3 applicants.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Misty, first I wanted to say how sorry I am for you and for your husband... the death of a parent is tragic no matter, how it happened or how old the child.. my husband just lost his mom last month and its been extremely hard for him and Thanksgiving was pretty rough.. and Im so sorry that you have to go through all of this and worry about this process at the same time...

Misa, has a great idea about going with the K-3 and going through Vancouver, then you wont have to worry about this right now...(still dont understand why Montreal requires the I-134, and Vancouver doesnt!)

I wish you the best of luck, and send good thoughts and prayers your way..

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.