w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Is the term "illegal immigrant" a slur?

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This is a partial transcript from "Hannity & Colmes", January 30, 2003, that has been edited for clarity.

ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: Joining us now is San Francisco County supervisor Gerardo Sandoval. Good to have you with us, sir.

GERARDO SANDOVAL, SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY SUPERVISOR: Thank you.

COLMES: Would you say that "illegal immigrant," that phrase is as bad as the "n" word?

SANDOVAL: I think in, you know, 30, 40 years time when we look back, we will all realize, yes, it is as bad as the "n" word.

[...]

SEAN HANNITY, CO-HOST: Mr. Supervisor, it's Sean Hannity here. Welcome to the program. Thank you for being with us.

[...]

HANNITY: Why would it be -- why would you compare that accurate, truthful adjective with somebody who breaks the law. They're just saying you're here illegally. I mean, how do you go from there to the "n" word? That's insane.

SANDOVAL: Well, because there are lots of laws that are being broken and to suggest -- no disrespect for the law -- suggests that the laws are not legitimate.

HANNITY: No, but if you break the law, you're illegal. You're an illegal immigrant. You're not a legal immigrant. You're an illegal immigrant.

There's nothing racist, racial. There's no -- Frankly, I don't blame people from coming here when they don't have hope and opportunity. I don't blame them.

SANDOVAL: But the fact is, you don't refer to anybody except Latinos, really, as illegal immigrants, and there's a lot of illegal aliens from a lot of European countries...

HANNITY: Anybody from anywhere.

SANDOVAL: ... for example, who are here illegally. No one refers to them that way.

HANNITY: They're illegal immigrants. Anyone who does not respect our laws or our sovereignty is here illegally.

SANDOVAL: There are a lot of nannies in New York from Western Europe that no one would refer to as illegal immigrants.

HANNITY: No, sir. You're wrong.

SANDOVAL: They overstayed their visas.

HANNITY: Sir -- Sir, it is not a term for Hispanics only. It is a term for anybody that has entered this country without proper permission.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,110178,00.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
This is a partial transcript from "Hannity & Colmes", January 30, 2003, that has been edited for clarity.

ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: Joining us now is San Francisco County supervisor Gerardo Sandoval. Good to have you with us, sir.

GERARDO SANDOVAL, SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY SUPERVISOR: Thank you.

COLMES: Would you say that "illegal immigrant," that phrase is as bad as the "n" word?

SANDOVAL: I think in, you know, 30, 40 years time when we look back, we will all realize, yes, it is as bad as the "n" word.

[...]

SEAN HANNITY, CO-HOST: Mr. Supervisor, it's Sean Hannity here. Welcome to the program. Thank you for being with us.

[...]

HANNITY: Why would it be -- why would you compare that accurate, truthful adjective with somebody who breaks the law. They're just saying you're here illegally. I mean, how do you go from there to the "n" word? That's insane.

SANDOVAL: Well, because there are lots of laws that are being broken and to suggest -- no disrespect for the law -- suggests that the laws are not legitimate.

HANNITY: No, but if you break the law, you're illegal. You're an illegal immigrant. You're not a legal immigrant. You're an illegal immigrant.

There's nothing racist, racial. There's no -- Frankly, I don't blame people from coming here when they don't have hope and opportunity. I don't blame them.

SANDOVAL: But the fact is, you don't refer to anybody except Latinos, really, as illegal immigrants, and there's a lot of illegal aliens from a lot of European countries...

HANNITY: Anybody from anywhere.

SANDOVAL: ... for example, who are here illegally. No one refers to them that way.

HANNITY: They're illegal immigrants. Anyone who does not respect our laws or our sovereignty is here illegally.

SANDOVAL: There are a lot of nannies in New York from Western Europe that no one would refer to as illegal immigrants.

HANNITY: No, sir. You're wrong.

SANDOVAL: They overstayed their visas.

HANNITY: Sir -- Sir, it is not a term for Hispanics only. It is a term for anybody that has entered this country without proper permission.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,110178,00.html

;)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

i've got some pretty strong views on the term, myself. personally, the word "illegal" when referring to a person is de-humanizing. there are more sides to it than just blanketly calling people illegal immigrants. i know, because i was called that (and detained for it) before and it was definately not all they said it was.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I guess it would be more P.C to call them "illegal chinese" "illegal cubans" or "illegal mexicans". Yes, that sounds much better.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

i've got some pretty strong views on the term, myself. personally, the word "illegal" when referring to a person is de-humanizing. there are more sides to it than just blanketly calling people illegal immigrants. i know, because i was called that (and detained for it) before and it was definately not all they said it was.

Were you in Canada in violation of the terms of your visa?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Soon when a robber comes in your back door at night with a gun, if hes a minority you will have to just bend your wife over the table for them.. screw this #######.. Kick em all out now. Nannies and all.. Whats the big deal, we have to mow our own lawns now?

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

no. i was in canada, yes, but as a visitor. i never overstayed (came close, but i didn't). they accused me of marriage fraud. the said detaining me was "for my own good" because nizzar was "just looking for a visa" and that i was "stupid" for marrying him. insult to injury, if you ask me.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

what should they be called??? :huh:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Dehumanizing you say? Hmmm. Do you suppose it might hurt a law-breakers feelings to get tossed in jail? That is rather de-humanizing. Law-breakers in America, have committed illegal acts. That's why they are called law-breakers. Many today are referring to illegal aliens, just like that. ILLEGAL! Why? Well, you know it's pretty simple as to WHY. Because they broke the law. They violated the law when they crossed the border. They violated the law when they remained in this country. They violated the law when they obtained a job in this country. They continue to violate the law every day they are here. What is a criminal if not someone who violates the law? Deal with it ... they're criminals.

Edited by fitnlivly

It doesn't matter what they are called. In time--all terms will seem derogatory. Remember when we used to say that person was 'retarded' then it became 'mentally challenged' and then 'special needs'. bad conotations happen with any new term you use beacuse people the state they are in 'whatever you want to call it' has not changed.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

no. i was in canada, yes, but as a visitor. i never overstayed (came close, but i didn't). they accused me of marriage fraud. the said detaining me was "for my own good" because nizzar was "just looking for a visa" and that i was "stupid" for marrying him. insult to injury, if you ask me.

Ok. Why were you called an illegal immigrant if you were within the duration of your visitor visa?

Dehumanizing you say? Hmmm. Do you suppose it might hurt a law-breakers feelings to get tossed in jail? That is rather de-humanizing. Law-breakers in America, have committed illegal acts. That's why they are called law-breakers. Many today are referring to illegal aliens, just like that. ILLEGAL! Why? Well, you know it's pretty simple as to WHY. Because they broke the law. They violated the law when they crossed the border. They violated the law when they remained in this country. They violated the law when they obtained a job in this country. They continue to violate the law every day they are here. What is a criminal if not someone who violates the law? Deal with it ... they're criminals.

jesus christ! i'm just saying that sometimes there's more to it than what's on the surface. i agree that the people who sneek over the border and intentionally stay here without any right to ARE criminals and should be punished for it. but sometimes there's more to it.