trailmix

So Canadians - tell us about yourselves

128 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so I was thinking the other day that since some of you have been here a while (waiting for your IR1 interview . . kidding!) I don't really know all your stories or where you are located or that much about any of you, so if anyone wants to share this so we know each other a little better - whatever you want to share, I think it would be great.

Also (if your login name isn't your actual name - why did you chose it and what does it mean?)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Ok so I was thinking the other day that since some of you have been here a while (waiting for your IR1 interview . . kidding!) I don't really know all your stories or where you are located or that much about any of you, so if anyone wants to share this so we know each other a little better - whatever you want to share, I think it would be great.

Also (if your login name isn't your actual name - why did you chose it and what does it mean?)

Well I meant people in the Canadian forum generally, you don't have to be a card carrying Canadian haha!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I meant people in the Canadian forum generally, you don't have to be a card carrying Canadian haha!

Is that the one with Don Cherry's face on it? :)

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll bite..

My handle is simply a word describing my life.. i was emancipated from a life of abuse when I left my x-husband. He was a violent man the word just stuck with me through the years.

We're in CT. I met my hubby online.. and we travelled back and forth for almost a year before we were married. We moved States side because my husband has 2 beautiful children ( I have none). I'm the loud, emotional one of the couple, he's the strong silent type. We stumbled onto VJ by accident (Hubby found it on a search engine) and he told me to take a look at the info here.. I was skeptical at first but now I'm the one staying around and he's the skeptic now :)

We had a very easy GC time.. no major snafoos.. which we're pretty grateful for. I'm mostly around these days to just keep in contact with people to sort through the whole "move to the US" and to be around CDNs as much as possible :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Can I be an honorary Canadian if I bring enough Timbits? :D

My Canadian does not hang out here in VJ, he is missing out on alot of good people, and since I'm doing most of the paperwork anyway it makes more sense that I hang out here at VJ.

As for the story...that'll take a really long post. But since we're also in the CR1/IR1 waiting line, there's lots of time right? We are two scientists, studying for our PhD's. He at McGill, me at University of Michigan (Go Blue!). We met at an analytical chemistry conference in 2005, I fell in love with him at a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts in Quebec City. We have been inseparable since. :luv: We got married 6 1/2 months ago and he is writing his thesis. We have one furry, tailless cat...so far.

My screen name is one of my many nicknames he gave me-we were in a pirate phase. What can I say?

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline

Ok, I guess I should put something here since I started the thread!

Trailmix is just that - trailmix (was eating trailmix one day and it inspired me).

My Husband and I have been married for just over 7 years, he is Australian. We married here in Canada. I only found out last year that I had American citizenship - derivative. I always figured my Mom was American as her Mother was - which was true and we documented that. What I didn't know was that my Father was too. One day I was reading a book on our family history and realized that as my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were from Wisconsin that he too was an American citizen - it was a big 'lightbulb' moment, standing in my living room alone holding the book and going YES!!

I have a Son from a previous marriage, who is a great person!

So after finding out about the citizenship we decided to move which started this visa thing. I think we have a pretty good timeline all in all and what are a few RFE's anyway!? We are moving to Nebraska, which is where one of my Sisters and her family live (also have another Sister w family in Texas).

But really I would rather live in Florida or Hawaii (spent 8 years in Singapore while growing up and also lived in Australia and New Zealand - like to be near the beach!) - which we just might do after we live in Nebbie for a while!

Timeline

OK OK HERE WE GO

Am orig german but moved to canada 17 years ago cose well ya know met a armybrat got married moved and many many years later got divorced , but stayed cose the kids grew up here and it was all they knew Canada is theyr home,

met my babe on line good old msn chat beginning of 2004 he had a hell of a time to win my trust but he finaly did LOL talked everyday for month till we exchanged phone # then planed his first visit for my b day wich was in aug ,the rest is history we been together since travel left and right every month , he proposed xmas eve 2005 i accepted due to personel stuff we couldnt file for the I 129 earlier but the waite was worth it yeahhhhhh next month its all over :D

oh yeah this is my real name

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I'm one of the old-timers, so here goes.....

My name is a natural extension of my old initials, CAS. :)

Jerry and I met in a chatroom. He asked if Nova Scotia was close to Germany (long story!), I jokingly called him a dumb Yankee who didn't pay attention in geography class (continuation of said long story), and love was born. :lol: :lol: He knew pretty quickly that I was it for him, I took a little longer to convince. ;) We found VisaJourney one day after getting supremely frustrated talking to 1-800-misinformation, and I haven't left. ;) We were very fortunate in that we managed to hit TSC and Montreal during speed-up times in their history, so I entered the US on Nov 1 and we got married on Nov 7th, 5 months after we started the process. The AOS process went quick too, but this lifting conditions thing is gonna take awhile. We live in Tulsa with our furry kid, Moses. I still hang out here in the hopes that I can provide some support to my fellow Canuckians. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Great post :)

I'm actually the USC, and I met my wife while she was living in Michigan with her family. After the States denied her family's asylum case from the former Yugoslavia, they managed to enter Canada through the Freedom House program, and we carried out our immigration case while I was near Detroit and she was in Windsor, Ontario.

My name came from working out on the bowflex when I was just out of high school and all my friends starting razzing me about it lol.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

OK I will start with my screen name. My name is Vicki and everyone used to spell it VickiE....then one day I said my name is V...no E and it stuck. Someone told me it sounds like wine.

I met my man on an internet dating site. I was bored one nite and put myself "out there" and he bit. His kids set him up on the thing because he is absolutely not into computers. We both lived in rural areas...him in North Dakota and me in Saskatchewan...and the only single people in the area were either related to us or single for a reason (don't mean to be mean..but really). Well we emailed back and forth for a bit and finally met. I figured if he could get into Canada...then I would date him. Heck I was planning on moving for a different job 300 miles away...he swept me off my feet, but I landed soft. He is a farmer, so now I am a farmers wife and absolutely love it. Gosh 10 years ago I would have laughed if someone said that this is where I would be!!!

Anyways, he has 2 children boy 17, girl 14 and I have twin 6 year old girls. His children aren't with us much, but when they do we have a blast.

I am currently taking a computer course to become a Medical Transcriptionist. Not much work here for what I used to do.....well there is but that is a whole different story. I help out with farm work whenever I can, like driving the truck, making meals and taking them to the field...and just being a good support for my man.

That is pretty much us. We aren't too exciting but we have a great life.

It has been awesome to be able to participate in these boards. You all ROCK!!! lol

Vicki & Ron

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Let's see... I'm the Canadian... mom to 1 dog and 5 cats (all rescues). I used to be involved in cat rescue and once had 10 cats (and my dog) in my 1 bedroom apartment (it was an 1100 sq feet apartment so it was big). No human children and we're childless by choice (got my tubes tied a few years ago). I'm vegan and so is my husband (he's 6 years younger than me... woo hoo... younger man!). Love cooking and gaming (adventure games and sometimes FPS -- PC only, never got into console) though not at the same time.

Uh... I'm moderately tattooed and will get more when I have more money. Some would say I'm "heavily" tattooed but I don't think so. Largest piece is my full left arm sleeve. Have a bunch of piercings too but I took out 5 of them recently. I look much younger than I actually am always get carded both in Canada and the U.S. Err.. not sure what else to share! :P

"misa" is not my real name but I think I'll leave the story to that for another day... :P

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
Let's see... I'm the Canadian... mom to 1 dog and 5 cats (all rescues). I used to be involved in cat rescue and once had 10 cats (and my dog) in my 1 bedroom apartment (it was an 1100 sq feet apartment so it was big). No human children and we're childless by choice (got my tubes tied a few years ago). I'm vegan and so is my husband (he's 6 years younger than me... woo hoo... younger man!). Love cooking and gaming (adventure games and sometimes FPS -- PC only, never got into console) though not at the same time.

Uh... I'm moderately tattooed and will get more when I have more money. Some would say I'm "heavily" tattooed but I don't think so. Largest piece is my full left arm sleeve. Have a bunch of piercings too but I took out 5 of them recently. I look much younger than I actually am always get carded both in Canada and the U.S. Err.. not sure what else to share! :P

"misa" is not my real name but I think I'll leave the story to that for another day... :P

oh how can i forget thanx to misa's post , with her cool tatoos

am also partly tatooed and yup my babe and me got matching tatooes done just before he proposed

( would never get his name thats bad luck but matching tatooes are great for live ) so yeah I got a couple and am damn proud of each and every one i got , and like misa will get more when the finances are cooled down :D

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline

University of Michigan (Go Blue!)

Appalachian State 34 Michigan 32. :P

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

oh how can i forget thanx to misa's post , with her cool tatoos

am also partly tatooed and yup my babe and me got matching tatooes done just before he proposed

( would never get his name thats bad luck but matching tatooes are great for live ) so yeah I got a couple and am damn proud of each and every one i got , and like misa will get more when the finances are cooled down :D

I'm the priss around here with one 4 inch by 2 inch back piece :) tee hee I LOVE MY TAT!!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.