Marlita

Financial Support for my Spouse

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello all!

Question regarding poverty guidelines and DCF....

If I am working in Jamaica where the pay scale for most all jobs is much less than the pay in the US, how does this affect my avidavit for support and meeting the poverty guidelines? I make enough money to live comfortably in Jamaica, but once that amount is transfered into US dollars I make nothing. How does this work with a DCF filier?

I am obviously not able to make US money until I move back to the states, but I am not planning on moving back to the states until after my husband gets his visa.

What is the best way to go about this?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Two big catches with DCF are:

• Domicile, US Citizen must have maintained US Domicile, and living in foreign country was a temporary condition.
  • IRS Returns, US Citizen must file IRS returns every year, foreign income may be exempt from taxes, but the US Citizen is not exempt from filing a return.
Both of these things are requirements of the I-864 that is required from the US Citizen for the visa.

The US Citizen can use a Joint sponsor in the USA if their income fails to meet the poverty line requirement.

If the US Citizen gave up US domicile the US Citizen needs to re-establish the domicile.

A good read about I-864 http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thanks for that link, it gave a wealth of information. I currently still own a house in the US. I just rent it out temporarily. Could this be used to establish my US domicle? I only planned on stayin in Jamaica temporarily to be near my husband while we filed for the visa. Our plan has always been to return to the US. So I kept my house in the states, but I don't have a job there that will show I can support him.

If my house acts as provong domicile, can I get a family member to be a co-sponser on the AOS?

Timeline
Thanks for that link, it gave a wealth of information. I currently still own a house in the US. I just rent it out temporarily. Could this be used to establish my US domicle? I only planned on stayin in Jamaica temporarily to be near my husband while we filed for the visa. Our plan has always been to return to the US. So I kept my house in the states, but I don't have a job there that will show I can support him.

If my house acts as provong domicile, can I get a family member to be a co-sponser on the AOS?

The home is excelent evidence of domicile, so dont worry about the domicile issue, did you file IRS returns for last year? If you did you will be fine.

If your current income exceeds 125% povertyline and you have evidence of work back in the USA like a job offer you should be fine, if not, then get a joint sponsor.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you prove domicile, yes you can ask another U.S. Citizen to co-sponsor on the I-864.

It would also be a good idea to read the I-864 instructions, in particular Part 4 item 15 - Domicile. This gives an outline of what proves domicile - but it's always a bit tricky when you are residing outside the country - but not impossible. From the above mentioned reference:

C. You intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status.

You must submit proof that you have taken concrete steps to establish you will be domiciled in the United States at a time no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status. Concrete steps might include accepting a job in the United States, signing a lease or purchasing a residence in the United States, or registering children in U.S. schools. Please attach proof of the steps you have taken to establish domicile as described above.

Timeline

If you prove domicile, yes you can ask another U.S. Citizen to co-sponsor on the I-864.

It would also be a good idea to read the I-864 instructions, in particular Part 4 item 15 - Domicile. This gives an outline of what proves domicile - but it's always a bit tricky when you are residing outside the country - but not impossible. From the above mentioned reference:

C. You intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status.You must submit proof that you have taken concrete steps to establish you will be domiciled in the United States at a time no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status. Concrete steps might include accepting a job in the United States, signing a lease or purchasing a residence in the United States, or registering children in U.S. schools. Please attach proof of the steps you have taken to establish domicile as described above.

So since i dont have kids, and a job offer as of yet, I can just show my title and mortagage statement for my home to satisfy this question?

Timeline
So since i dont have kids, and a job offer as of yet, I can just show my title and mortagage statement for my home to satisfy this question?

I would get as many things as you can think of. Bank statement from your account in the U.S., a quote from a moving company for your move from Jamaica (never have to use it of course) back to the States. Do you have insurance in the U.S. for your house or a car or anything - I'd send along a copy of that too. Anything that you can think of that ties you to the U.S. currently.

YuandDan may be right and all they may need is proof that you own a residence in the U.S. - I don't know and I'm not saying he is wrong.

I don't live in the U.S. right now either and I am the sponsor. We don't own a house in the U.S. so I put together what I thought was enough evidence and I got a request for more evidence - but that might not be your experience :)

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would think you are going to need a co-sponsor. Knowing JA salaries, I imagine you won't make enough to qualify over that 125% poverty level.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I would think you are going to need a co-sponsor. Knowing JA salaries, I imagine you won't make enough to qualify over that 125% poverty level.

I defintely know the Jamaica salary wont help me make over the poverty line. Its more like only $500 US permonth!! I am however trying to get a job with American based companies and try to get paid in US dollar, but this all seems more complicated than need be.

So now I am wondering if I should just continue to live and work in Jamaica and just file my I-130 at my local office in California. And just not let them know that I am not currently living in the US. I'll still have my house and insurance for it and all, but I will be physically living out of teh country to be closer to my husband. I just have to figure out a way to make sure my mail from the USCIS is forwrded to me in JA so that i make sure i dont miss an important letter. Then I can still use a co-sponser for AOS.

Doing it this way, I dont have to worry about proving domiclile and foregin residency and all that, yet i can still live with my husband during the processing time.

What do you all think of this?

Timeline
So now I am wondering if I should just continue to live and work in Jamaica and just file my I-130 at my local office in California. And just not let them know that I am not currently living in the US. I'll still have my house and insurance for it and all, but I will be physically living out of teh country to be closer to my husband. I just have to figure out a way to make sure my mail from the USCIS is forwrded to me in JA so that i make sure i dont miss an important letter. Then I can still use a co-sponser for AOS.

Doing it this way, I dont have to worry about proving domiclile and foregin residency and all that, yet i can still live with my husband during the processing time.

The problem comes up at the visa interview and with the I-864, so filing with USCIS makes no difference, they will still want to know how you will support the immigrant after you come to the USA, and will see how you have been supporting your self when you make out the I-864.

Your situation is better than many for domicile, you just need to satisfy the conditions required for the I-864, and get a Joint-Sponsor for the I-864.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I defintely know the Jamaica salary wont help me make over the poverty line. Its more like only $500 US permonth!! I am however trying to get a job with American based companies and try to get paid in US dollar, but this all seems more complicated than need be.

No NO NO NO NO..........absolutely not. Please don't do it that way. If, for whatever reason, this would ever come to light, you would be committing visa fraud and would pay dearly.

Figure out a way by being honest.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

No NO NO NO NO..........absolutely not. Please don't do it that way. If, for whatever reason, this would ever come to light, you would be committing visa fraud and would pay dearly.

Figure out a way by being honest.

But I'm not lying on anything, I'm just not living at the address on the application. The address is still my home, I'm just not physically in the house. I can still receive mail there and all. There should be nothing wrong with that right? What I am considering is that I am still a resident in US, but in Jamaica visiting for an extended period of time. I don't know this is all giving me a headache now.

Timeline
But I'm not lying on anything, I'm just not living at the address on the application. The address is still my home, I'm just not physically in the house. I can still receive mail there and all. There should be nothing wrong with that right? What I am considering is that I am still a resident in US, but in Jamaica visiting for an extended period of time. I don't know this is all giving me a headache now.

Hi Marlita,

I hear what you are saying. If you went back to the U.S., filed the application then went back to Jamaica to wait out the visa process, while still using your U.S. address - that's one thing - however, when you fill out the I-130, question 21:

21. If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together (Include street, city, province, if any, and country)

It then asks for a date range that you lived there together. If you don't leave Jamaica - and proceed as you mentioned and use your U.S. address - how could you answer that honestly?

That's just one example of one question on one form - I can't remember off the top of my head if it comes up on a form later.

Anyway, in no way am I saying I'm an expert or telling you what you should do - just something to ponder.

And yeah, immigration is kind of a headache - hang in there!

Edited by trailmix

Something no one has mentioned is that even if the income in Jamaica met the 125% poverty guideline, it would not count towards sponsorship unless it was going to continue after the move to the US.

I am assuming it is only the two of you. So, if your home is valued at more than about $55,000 USD (not sure if it needs to be the actual value or the amount you would profit if you sold it), you should be able to sponsor him on your home asset. If you have savings, even if they're in his name, that helps as well.

To be truly covered, a joint sponsor in the US would be good. Is that a possibility?

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Timeline
Something no one has mentioned is that even if the income in Jamaica met the 125% poverty guideline, it would not count towards sponsorship unless it was going to continue after the move to the US.

I am assuming it is only the two of you. So, if your home is valued at more than about $55,000 USD (not sure if it needs to be the actual value or the amount you would profit if you sold it), you should be able to sponsor him on your home asset. If you have savings, even if they're in his name, that helps as well.

To be truly covered, a joint sponsor in the US would be good. Is that a possibility?

Hi,

Margot is quite right, as the earnings weren't there I think it wasn't brought up.

My understanding is that the value of the home as an asset is the difference between professional valuation and outstanding amount owing on mortgage and/or other liens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.