Second time around

73 posts in this topic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Fairytales don't always have a happy ending, do they?

Jackie (F)

fergilicious

I really hate the ones that don't. Kinda defeats the point of a "fairytale" to me...... besides that I'm usually a total romantic and an optomist (only occasionally sarcastic and bitter, and only on my really bad days ;) )

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Did you ask alot of questions to understand what is expected of an Egyptian spouse?

While family was vacationing in Jordan - they rented an apartment. My *much* younger brother (I'm an Arab, remember? :D ) decided he was going to open and close the cast iron gate to the apartment at ... 12:00am.

Needless to say, after about the 20th time of doing that - the neighbor ... a very, very angry Egyptian woman ... came out on the balcony next door:

(translation)

"YOU LITTLE ANIMAL! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM! I'M GOING TO COME DOWN THERE AND CHOP YOU INTO A MILLION PIECES!"

She then proceeded to storm down and start pounding on the door. My brother hid under a bed - while my aunt wondered what was going on (lol) and calmed the lady down. LOL. So, does that fit the Egyptian spouse?

"You little Animal!!!" Oh, do I wish I could be like her!!!!!! Sorry Ky, but good for that old lady! A couple of months ago a family moved in upstairs with maybe a 2yr old..... he is the noisiest neighbor EVER!. A lot of days I want to go up there and tie him to something....

Back on topic, though....Amal hit on most things the same way I would, but I have to add something. He's not from anther planet. He knows that there's TWO of you in this marriage and that YOU have expectations too. If in the begining you just focus on being everything he wants, its really really easy to forget (And he won't remind you) to demand what you expect too and you can turn into a doormat fast, and thats a hard thing to turn around.

Anyways, thats all I got for now

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Amal, hope you don't mind I used your formatting.

But I have some questions for all of you. When you started your relationships, did you have any idea what the cultural differences would be like?

Not completely, I think you can't know that until you are together. But we did discuss everything we could think of about each other's countries.

Do you think after a lifetime of upbringing, it would be easy to discard learned ways (this goes for both of you)?

I wouldn't marry someone whose learned ways were very drastic from mine. You can be from another country but still have in common some ways of behaving. The same happens in marriages anyway, with a USC with a USC. Upbringing will affect how you are, but if you don't like how someone is you shouldn't marry them. :)

Are you both willing to compromise?

Yep...been doing it for awhile now. 3rd wedding anniversary was last week. And he's been in the US a little over 3 years now.

Did you ask alot of questions to understand what is expected of an Egyptian spouse?

To put this into my context: an Indian Spouse instead of Egyptian...No I did not ask that nor did he ask what is expected of an American spouse. We instead asked what do you personally want in a spouse, nationalities aside. Again, I would not marry someone who had a strong cultural expectations of me but themselves would not meet expectations I had. It can't just be one way. It was more of what I would want in any husband, not relating to nation, vice versa. .

After asking, did you discuss the issues you had that were brought up?

Yeah, chatting and talking on the phone for 2 years before even meeting face to face, you have lots of time to talk about everything under the sun. Then 11 more months of chatting before he came.

Did you explain what your expectations of him/her are?

I guess, but it sounds so formal that way. I guess if you need to discuss like that you should. But we instead just talked about how we thought our daily life together will be. Not who had to do what. And if I didn't like the person he was while getting to know him and didn't think he'd be the kind of guy I wanted, I wouldn't have married him. I had 3 main criteria I wanted in a future spouse:

-Older than me (like a couple or few years) b/c I was tired of being around immature guys

-Already had established career (been around too many guys who had no plans for their futures nor career ideas)

-Christian behavior

Did you ask what differences your loved one expected to see when he/she came here and then discuss them?

We always talked about life in our countries. He was not in the dark completely. India has some western aspects. English spoken in many workplaces, international news and lots of focus on news in the US. Some social aspects are very different. Things are more formal there and more laid back here. But he knew about them ahead of time, it was just a matter of actually being around it 24/7.

Have the two of you discussed religion, sex and politics? ( This is a big one.)

Of course we did. We became friends b/c of discussions about religion. It was after those talks that we fell in love. The other 2 yes, we discussed our stance on those issues.

I agree that discussing everything possible you can think of is very important. Even try to think of the smallest details in life and discuss that too. There will be cultural adjustments for your SO no matter how hard you prepare them, but still at least they may remember a conversation you had about a certain situation which will help them deal with it better.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Timeline

Maybe this doesn't count,(and sorry since I am not MENA) but I was engaged to another Nepali guy, did research into the whole K-1 process, posted here under another username... Our relationship broke up before I filed because his mom was crazy, wanted him to marry her chosen bride(even another girl in same caste chosen by him would not make her happy) and is still making his life miserable but he doesn't want to go against her wishes - she stole his passport at one time, threatened to kill herself... I love Nepali culture and people ;) but was very wary to get involved with another Nepali Hindu after this nightmare... That said, I met and married another wonderful guy who happens to be Nepali Hindu, and his family loves me - but - get this - he has the same very common family name as my ex!!!. :o I had to make sure they were not cousins :P I thought the research I had done for the K-1 would help but the K-3/CR-1 process seems much more complicated - need to get the apps in but I am fretting over every small detail, it is driving me crazy!!!

Edited by Pattu Rani

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello All,

My 22 year old son always tells me I am living a "fairytale". What else can you call it? Well, fairytales have happy endings, don't they? As long as it is my fairytale, I might as well ask that this marriage lasts my lifetime so I don't have to even think about going through hell and back again.

But I have some questions for all of you. When you started your relationships, did you have any idea what the cultural differences would be like? Do you think after a lifetime of upbringing, it would be easy to discard learned ways (this goes for both of you)? Are you both willing to compromise? Did you ask alot of questions to understand what is expected of an Egyptian spouse? After asking, did you discuss the issues you had that were brought up? Did you explain what your expectations of him/her are? Did you ask what differences your loved one expected to see when he/she came here and then discuss them? Have the two of you discussed religion, sex and politics? ( This is a big one.) I know you are probably thinking I am looney tunes right now, and I am. AP does that to you. However, it has also given Ahmed amd I alot of time to talk about life and figure out what our strengths and weaknesses are.

Would I do it again? Well, I never thought I would do it this time. Go figure........

Sue

These are great questions for all of us on every single regional thread on this board.

I'm not MENA; but I can tell you if my marriage doesn't survive, I will run and run fast the next time I hear a Jamaican accent anywhere in my vacinity!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good questions Sue :thumbs: I'm pretty sure we covered all of those before we started a long-distance relationship, but if not they have been covered in the 1 1/2 years since.

But I have some questions for all of you. When you started your relationships, did you have any idea what the cultural differences would be like?

I didn't know anything about ME men when I met him, but I was very interested in learning and he was really happy to have me meet alot of people he knew in our area. He took me to the halal butchers shop and Muslim book store - oh, and there was this egyptian store that had this cheese I absolutely loved and we went there every week and hung out with his friends. We met in France, he is very used to the culture, and kinda assumes the US will be a little like that (even though he's met my american friends there and heard them complain about france). I've told him it's very different but he says he doesn't care, he will get used to it and he will live anywhere as long as it's with me. :blush: we'll see how he feels when he gets here.

Do you think after a lifetime of upbringing, it would be easy to discard learned ways (this goes for both of you)?

Absolutely not. I know most of his ways and he knows mine, stayed in his house in Egypt, but I know living together everyday is going to be an adjustment. We made an agreement of always listening to and respecting eachother and he's always been good on the compromise issue (I'm working on it ;) ).

Are you both willing to compromise?

Yes, although we both have some things we are not willing to compromise on. We know and agree on those so I'm hoping our good trend continues :P

We discussed it generally, what I expected and what he expected... actually after he proposed, I came back the next day (after saying yes) and said "wait, we need to talk about this and I have a few questions for you"

After asking, did you discuss the issues you had that were brought up?

absolutely

Did you explain what your expectations of him/her are?

Yes, in very clear terms. I even told him I suck at cooking (he's always cooked for me, i've never cooked for him), he will probably be doing all of that and I have a list of things I want his help with around the appt. when he gets here. He told me he likes to cook (but he'll teach me if I want, I can't be that bad :lol: ) and and doesn't have any problems with the rest and we've always shared chores when there were any to be done.

Did you ask what differences your loved one expected to see when he/she came here and then discuss them?

After all the above discussions, he knows what to expect as much as he can IMO. He will just have to come here and experience it.

Have the two of you discussed religion, sex and politics? ( This is a big one.)

"Ohhh yeah....alllll the time. " ditto

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is definetly by far one of the most difficult situations i have ever been in before in my entire life honestly. For my man i would do it all over again but with someone else i can't say that i would do this again its too stressful, and everything is up in the air because unlike a normal relationship you have no idea what is going on about anything all we have is statistics on here of others to go buy as guesses as to when we are to get from one step to the next. One thing i learned everyones case is sooo different. I thought my man would have his visa by now 1-6 months but we past that already. I also don't think i could go through seeing my someone on the other side of me on a computer and can't touch him, or hearing his voice over the phone and can't say " Hey what about dinner tonight my treat" Its just too hard and painful, and i could not put my kids through this again because they are suffering right along with me because they want my love here so bad as i do.

AJ1

7/17/2005----I met the love of my life.

1/18/2006----Arrived in Egypt to visit my love.

5/11/2006----Sent I129F.

6/15/2006----Recieved NOA1.

6/22/2006----Recieved RFE (IMBRA).

7/12/2006----Replied to RFE (IMBRA) Sent back.

7/17/2006----Our 1 year Anniversary!!!!

7/19/2006----VSC recieved RFE (IMBRA).

7/20/2006----touched

8/18/2006----touched

8/18/2006----NOA2!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!!!!

8/18/2006----VSC sent our petition to NVC.

8/19/2006----touched

8/22/2006----NVC recieved our petition.

8/23/2006----NVC sent our petition to Cairo Embassy.

8/25/2006----Recieved NOA2 Approval letter in the mail.

8/28/2006----Recieved NVC letter with new case number.

8/31/2006----Cairo Embassy recieved our petition.

9/24/2006----I emailed the Embassy reguarding my fiance's packet 3.

10/17/2006--Cairo sent packet 3 for the second time to my fiance. First one was never recieved.

10/19/2006--Packet 3 recieved.

12/20/2006--Packet 3 sent.

12/21/2006--Cairo Embassy recieved packet 3.

2/21/2007---Packet 4 recieved.

3/12/2007---Interview (He Passed)!

3/12/2007---Administrative Processing begins.............God please help me get through this!

7/17/2007---Our 2 Year Anniversay!!!

10/23/2007--7 months and 2 weeks of A/P and still waiting..........God help me!

4/22/2008---2nd Interview ( keep us in your prayers)

4/22/2008--He was approved for the Visa 2-3 weeks until he recieves it in the mail lets hope so!!

6/03/2008--VISA IN HAND! Thank you god!

7/03/2008--Our Wedding Day!

"NEVER GIVE UP"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi All,

I too, am not MENA, but you could bet your last penny that I would NEVER do it again-EVER. At times, it nearly put me over the edge.

I have heard, "never say never"...but I can tell you-NEVER. It's just too much-ALL of it...

Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello All,

My 22 year old son always tells me I am living a "fairytale". What else can you call it? Well, fairytales have happy endings, don't they? As long as it is my fairytale, I might as well ask that this marriage lasts my lifetime so I don't have to even think about going through hell and back again.

But I have some questions for all of you. When you started your relationships, did you have any idea what the cultural differences would be like? Do you think after a lifetime of upbringing, it would be easy to discard learned ways (this goes for both of you)? Are you both willing to compromise? Did you ask alot of questions to understand what is expected of an Egyptian spouse? After asking, did you discuss the issues you had that were brought up? Did you explain what your expectations of him/her are? Did you ask what differences your loved one expected to see when he/she came here and then discuss them? Have the two of you discussed religion, sex and politics? ( This is a big one.) I know you are probably thinking I am looney tunes right now, and I am. AP does that to you. However, it has also given Ahmed amd I alot of time to talk about life and figure out what our strengths and weaknesses are.

Would I do it again? Well, I never thought I would do it this time. Go figure........

Sue

and you know what??? sometimes.. no matter HOW MUCH you talk about the future.. religion.. sex and politics.. no matter HOW MUCH TALK.. online.. on the phone... in person.. Sometimes even that doesnt prepare you for when you are face to face - actually living together.. Sometimes putting all those WORDS into action just doesnt happen..

you can talk til the cows comes home... But actually putting all that into action is the TRUE TEST.

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Timeline
Hello All,

Sue

and you know what??? sometimes.. no matter HOW MUCH you talk about the future.. religion.. sex and politics.. no matter HOW MUCH TALK.. online.. on the phone... in person.. Sometimes even that doesnt prepare you for when you are face to face - actually living together.. Sometimes putting all those WORDS into action just doesnt happen..

you can talk til the cows comes home... But actually putting all that into action is the TRUE TEST.

what font is that? I like it!

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline
Hello All,

Sue

what font is that? I like it!

silly...

i only made the size bigger.. thats all :thumbs:

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

This is my first and LAST time to ever do this. :wacko::wacko::girlwerewolf2xn:

amen.jpg

:thumbs:

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.