Bosco

favorite books

7 posts in this topic

What are some of your favorites reads on the Middle East/North Africa, or by Arab American authors? I am always looking for something new.

Here are some of mine:

Street in Marrekech - Elizabeth Warnock Fernea

Leo Africanus - Amin Malouf

anything/everything by Naguib Mahfouz

Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits - Laila Lalami

The Caliph's House - Tahir Shah

The Blinding Absence of Light - Tahar Ben Jelloun

Morocco - The Islamic Awakening and Other Challenges - Marvine Howe

Conquest of Morocco - Douglas Porch

The Palestinian Impasse in Lebanon: The Politics of Refugee Integration - Simon Haddad

Reporting from Ramallah - Amira Hass

Drinking the Sea at Gaza : Days and Nights in a Land Under Siege - Amira Hass

Map of Love - Ahdaf Soueif

The Battle for Saudi Arabia: Royalty, Fundamentalism, and Global Power - Asad AbuKhalil and Asad Abukhalil

Pity the Nation: Lebanon at War - Robert Fisk

Year of the Elephant : A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence - Leila Abouzeid

Return to Childhood : The Memoir of a Modern Moroccan Woman - Leila Abouzeid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Very interesting suggestions. I (L) As'ad AbuKhalil. His Angry Arab News Service is a daily must read :thumbs:

I haven't had much time to read books as of late, sigh. I mainly do the blog roll every day and have found quite a few interesting ones coming out of the ME/NA.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

I recently read "Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits". it was excellent.

I would recommend "Among the Believers," by V.S. Naipaul. It's non-fiction; he goes to Iran, Pakistan, Malaysia, and Indonesia, so it's more Asian than Middle Eastern, but he talks about the history of Islam and the role of Islam in political life.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Very nice selection !

I have to say that Amira Hass is a wonderfully gifted writer, with a great compassion and understanding for what is happening in the West Bank and Gaza. I have enjoyed many of her books, and heartily recommend them. She is also a regular feature writer for the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz... you can read some of her articles online at www.haaretzdaily.com.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Very nice selection !

I have to say that Amira Hass is a wonderfully gifted writer, with a great compassion and understanding for what is happening in the West Bank and Gaza. I have enjoyed many of her books, and heartily recommend them. She is also a regular feature writer for the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz... you can read some of her articles online at www.haaretzdaily.com.

(F)

-MK

Democracynow.org has a nice interview with Amira Hass from about a year ago on their website.

Rebecca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

'The Kite Runner' is the best book I have read lately... it's about a boy who grew up in Afghanistan. It's very sad but you should defiitely read it! It's written by Khaled Hosseini.

check it out http://www.khaledhosseini.com/

k bye.

sarah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.