11 posts in this topic

Hello, I am getting married next month in the Philippines. My girlfriend has a 10 yr old daughter. I will be doing a I-130 to get her into the U.S. If everything goes all right. Is there two AOS fees for my bride and daughter?

Also on another note, I have terrible credit from a bankruputcy of a prior marriage. I am currently in a chapt 13 for that. I had a failing roofing business that went belly up this year. So I accumilated some more taxes after the initial filing of the bankruptcy. I still have a full time job at a major newspaper that qualifies me for minimum wage requriements for the 864 petition for support. I make approx 34,000 per yr on this job. But I have the IRS that is really on my back right now about trying to get my back taxes paid but having a hell of time with child support payments and just everyday living here in Ca one of the most expensive places to live at the moment. So I might have to convert to a chapt 7 so I can get the taxes paid off. I don't know how this fairs when they look at your petiion. Probably not to great I would imagine. But has anyone else ever been in kind of the same predicament that I have been?

thanks,

martinbr

Filed: Timeline

I can only answer the first part...

Yes, there is an additional AOS fee for a child. I'm not, however, sure how much it is now after the fee changes.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

The more I am looking at this info on this board the more I am leaning to just filing a I-130 and waiting the xtra time. I think it would be cheaper in the long run.

martinbr

Yes, there is an additional AOS fee for a child. I'm not, however, sure how much it is now after the fee changes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
The more I am looking at this info on this board the more I am leaning to just filing a I-130 and waiting the xtra time. I think it would be cheaper in the long run.

martinbr

Uh, what? You still have to file AOS even after the I-130 is approved...

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Martin,

Based on your initial post it looks like you are planning on filing for CR1/IR1 visa. If this is correct, your (soon to be) spouse and step-child will no longer be doing Adjustment of Status after they enter the US.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

martinbr

Two AOS fees if spouse or dependant child is arriving on K-3/K-4 (I-129F petition). NO AOS fees if spouse or dependant child is arriving on immigrant (IR(CR)) visa (I-130 petition).

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

martinbr

Two AOS fees if spouse or dependant child is arriving on K-3/K-4 (I-129F petition). NO AOS fees if spouse or dependant child is arriving on immigrant (IR(CR)) visa (I-130 petition).

Oh, true. I was thinking K-3 as they have to file I-130 as well (at least according to the guides here?)

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello, I am getting married next month in the Philippines. My girlfriend has a 10 yr old daughter. I will be doing a I-130 to get her into the U.S. If everything goes all right. Is there two AOS fees for my bride and daughter?

Also on another note, I have terrible credit from a bankruputcy of a prior marriage. I am currently in a chapt 13 for that. I had a failing roofing business that went belly up this year. So I accumilated some more taxes after the initial filing of the bankruptcy. I still have a full time job at a major newspaper that qualifies me for minimum wage requriements for the 864 petition for support. I make approx 34,000 per yr on this job. But I have the IRS that is really on my back right now about trying to get my back taxes paid but having a hell of time with child support payments and just everyday living here in Ca one of the most expensive places to live at the moment. So I might have to convert to a chapt 7 so I can get the taxes paid off. I don't know how this fairs when they look at your petiion. Probably not to great I would imagine. But has anyone else ever been in kind of the same predicament that I have been?

thanks,

martinbr

Addressing the financial issues. They are only looking at your income. Your bankruptcy and tax issues are not of concern as long as the taxes are filed.

Recently accumulated tax liability probably can't be discharged in Chapter 7 but it depends on how recent is recent. The liabilities have to be associated with returns that were filed and have been due for some minumum number of years. Your bankruptcy attorney should be able to clear that question up for you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

This is a relief that all they look at is your income. Now I just have to start getting this darn bill payed off. I owe about $5500.00 for the years of 2004-2006 on my returns. I had a real bad accountant at one time and gave me some real bad advice on filing taxes for a business that is no longer.

thank you...

martinbr

thanks,

martinbr

Addressing the financial issues. They are only looking at your income. Your bankruptcy and tax issues are not of concern as long as the taxes are filed.

Recently accumulated tax liability probably can't be discharged in Chapter 7 but it depends on how recent is recent. The liabilities have to be associated with returns that were filed and have been due for some minumum number of years. Your bankruptcy attorney should be able to clear that question up for you.

thanks,

martinbr

Current fees for initial filing the I-130 are $355 for each person.

Fees for my wife and stepdaughter totaled $830 for the NVC part later.

$380 each plus $70 for biometrics for wife. No need to pay biometrics for stepdaughter.

That was over a year ago and I'm not sure if the fees at NVC went up with the fee increase or not.

Biometrics may have but don't think the immigration application fees did. Not sure.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Myself and my 2 kids (not blood related to my USC husband) have all applied for AOS and we all paid individual fees. I think the cut off age for the kids fee is 14, we just made it as my daughter is 13!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.