dreamscometrue

Does Islam allow Muslim men to marry Christian women?

126 posts in this topic

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Considering that there is One Message, and it was given by One God to all people, and the Quran is a confirmation of the Message, any prohibition in the Bible against interfaith marriage would be incorrect. However, a passage in 2 Corinthians 6:14 (part of Paul's Letters to the Corinthians) says "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?", and that has been interpreted to mean that Christians can marry only Christians. Jews discourage marrying out, as do most faiths, but they consider the children of a Jewish mother to be born Jews, not the other way around.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

What (or should I say who?) is a kitabi?

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Are practising Jewish and Christian women premitted, by their faith, to marry a muslim man?

With Christianity it varies by sect. Catholicism is okay with it provided the children are raised Catholic, so in theory, yes, but if you have two people whose traditions separately require that the children be raised in their religion, there are either problems or someone's ignoring that particular faith requirement.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

"What (or should I say who?) is a kitabi"

Ahl al Kitab or kitabi's are people that have received Gods message in the form of a book. The Quran refers to Jews, Christians, and of course Muslims as receivers of Gods message in a book form....thats one of the reasons why marriage between the 3 is allowed as they all are recipients of the same message and worship and believe in the same God....all though many followers of all three faiths would like to argue the fact.

"There is nothing in sharia that makes it haram for a Muslim woman to marry a kitabi man. That's why I felt free to do so myself, as are a growing number of Muslim women."

No matter how many times you point out that fact to Muslims they just close their ears to the facts and insist on following the ways of "their fathers".... its a sad state of affairs when culture and tradition have replaced the Quran in nearly all matters...and many many muslims dont care or bother to distinguish the difference between the two. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
"There is nothing in sharia that makes it haram for a Muslim woman to marry a kitabi man. That's why I felt free to do so myself, as are a growing number of Muslim women."

No matter how many times you point out that fact to Muslims they just close their ears to the facts and insist on following the ways of "their fathers".... its a sad state of affairs when culture and tradition have replaced the Quran in nearly all matters...and many many muslims dont care or bother to distinguish the difference between the two. :(

I'm finding the same thing. The faith encourages thinking and reason, but dogma has taken over and Muslims refuse to think or question anything.

Case in point: my wifes OB/GYN is Muslim, but she's not fasting during Ramadan and thus my wife says "she's not really Muslim". I pointed out to her that she has a very important job to do. She cannot risk being weak or faint at 6:00pm and have to deliver a baby, so it's an extreme hardship for her to fast. Thing is, I had just found the sura in the Koran that says if it's an extreme hardship for you to fast during Ramadan you can feed a poor person instead. But my wife refused to listen (probably cause she hates to be wrong).

And that's the crux of the problem. People don't want to learn they've "believed wrong" all this time, so they'll fight you tooth & nail regardless of whatever valid arguments you can find. Like fundy Xtians and the scientific theory of evolution. Evolution contradicts part of what they believe, so they'll fight it because they don't want to be wrong.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

I'm finding the same thing. The faith encourages thinking and reason, but dogma has taken over and Muslims refuse to think or question anything.

Case in point: my wifes OB/GYN is Muslim, but she's not fasting during Ramadan and thus my wife says "she's not really Muslim". I pointed out to her that she has a very important job to do. She cannot risk being weak or faint at 6:00pm and have to deliver a baby, so it's an extreme hardship for her to fast. Thing is, I had just found the sura in the Koran that says if it's an extreme hardship for you to fast during Ramadan you can feed a poor person instead. But my wife refused to listen (probably cause she hates to be wrong).

And that's the crux of the problem. People don't want to learn they've "believed wrong" all this time, so they'll fight you tooth & nail regardless of whatever valid arguments you can find. Like fundy Xtians and the scientific theory of evolution. Evolution contradicts part of what they believe, so they'll fight it because they don't want to be wrong.

good post :thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

This might be one of the worst, biggest generalizations I've heard in a long time.

Furthermore, the doctor just doesn't fast, end of story. It's not a freaking hardship for an ob/gyn to fast. Men who work in the desert all day in 115 degree weather fast while they work all day. A doctor in a US office in air conditioning doesn't fast because she doesn't want to, not because it's a dang hardship. And, if she chooses not to fast, that doesn't mean she isn't a real Muslim, it means that's her choice in her faith, and it's quite serious to call people out as a hypocrite, something I would think people would at least refrain from during Ramadan.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline
This might be one of the worst, biggest generalizations I've heard in a long time.

Furthermore, the doctor just doesn't fast, end of story. It's not a freaking hardship for an ob/gyn to fast. Men who work in the desert all day in 115 degree weather fast while they work all day. A doctor in a US office in air conditioning doesn't fast because she doesn't want to, not because it's a dang hardship. And, if she chooses not to fast, that doesn't mean she isn't a real Muslim, it means that's her choice in her faith, and it's quite serious to call people out as a hypocrite, something I would think people would at least refrain from during Ramadan.

I completely disagree with your first point. It is a hardship for a doctor to fast, especially one who's on call at all hours. I'd hate to have a car accident at 6:00pm and be brought to the air conditioned emergency room where the Muslim doctor has been fasting all day and is ready to pass out from thirst and hunger.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

This is one of the best generalizations about the Muslim community I have heard in a long time. If we want to measure the health of the Muslim community as a whole, this is IMO the single most important factor in why the Muslim community has gone so far from the Islam of the Prophet's community.

as to whether it is or is not a hardship to fast- isnt that really between the person and God? Are we so sure there is only one measurement for hardship? surely God understands the depth and complexity of what makes something a hardship for me and my ability to withstand something is not necessarily the same as someone elses.

I will say that I do think many people complain too much, focus on the hardship too much when it comes to the decision each day to intend to fast. there are many many musims suffering from disease and physical hardship that fast, but their fast is not my fast and only God knows which one he accepts.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

I completely disagree with your first point. It is a hardship for a doctor to fast, especially one who's on call at all hours. I'd hate to have a car accident at 6:00pm and be brought to the air conditioned emergency room where the Muslim doctor has been fasting all day and is ready to pass out from thirst and hunger.

Are you kidding me? Doctors (or anyone) sometimes go 12 hours without eating just because they are busy. You don't pass out from not eating for a few hours. We should be far more worried about doctors who go 36 hours without sleep.

If fasting is such a burden and causing passing out we should then be totally scared of driving anywhere near fasting Muslims because they might pass out and run us over. Or maybe fasting Muslims working construction might be so delirious from hunger they might make a huge mistake with wiring and the whole building will explode.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

Islam & life in the Prophet's time isn't something anyone in this forum has any clue about first hand, and I will confidently make this generalization, especially when we are talking about doctors and business people, and having a roof over our heads and talking about all the lovely recipes to make for iftar. Everything one does is between herself and God, but to make the claim that ANYTHING other than serious illness is a hardship is just an excuse, complaining, or otherwise rationalizing why one isn't fasting. And that is between the person & God, but to make it out to be anything else is ridiculous.

And why is it OK to make the generalization that Muslims now don't think? Because it doesn't fit into your idea of what is right? People who have come to the conclusion that Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslim men would probably have quite the argument to make that they definitely came to this conclusion after quite a bit of thinking, research, and decision making. You might not agree, but it doesn't mean people aren't thinking.

Edited by peezey

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So TRUE!!!!!!!! one of my biggest pet peeves... especially when it is a cultural influence blended in with the religion

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Timeline

I'm finding the same thing. The faith encourages thinking and reason, but dogma has taken over and Muslims refuse to think or question anything.Case in point: my wifes OB/GYN is Muslim, but she's not fasting during Ramadan and thus my wife says "she's not really Muslim". I pointed out to her that she has a very important job to do. She cannot risk being weak or faint at 6:00pm and have to deliver a baby, so it's an extreme hardship for her to fast. Thing is, I had just found the sura in the Koran that says if it's an extreme hardship for you to fast during Ramadan you can feed a poor person instead. But my wife refused to listen (probably cause she hates to be wrong).

ACTUALLY i gotta say i agree with this.. I've been doing alot of soul searching lately when it comes to Islam.. AND this has been the top of my discussions with my muslim friends.. Now, i wont say EVERY muslim falls into this catagory.. BUT i find alot of Muslim Born from a forgien country fall into this catagory.

Alot of Muslims DO just go with the flow.. and I dont agree with that. I come from the Question Authority approach.. and I wanna know the sources and where things came from.. AND see logically why something was said i.e. date and time it was said

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Timeline

I'm finding the same thing. The faith encourages thinking and reason, but dogma has taken over and Muslims refuse to think or question anything.Case in point: my wifes OB/GYN is Muslim, but she's not fasting during Ramadan and thus my wife says "she's not really Muslim". I pointed out to her that she has a very important job to do. She cannot risk being weak or faint at 6:00pm and have to deliver a baby, so it's an extreme hardship for her to fast. Thing is, I had just found the sura in the Koran that says if it's an extreme hardship for you to fast during Ramadan you can feed a poor person instead. But my wife refused to listen (probably cause she hates to be wrong).

ACTUALLY i gotta say i agree with this.. I've been doing alot of soul searching lately when it comes to Islam.. AND this has been the top of my discussions with my muslim friends.. Now, i wont say EVERY muslim falls into this catagory.. BUT i find alot of Muslim Born from a forgien country fall into this catagory.

Alot of Muslims DO just go with the flow.. and I dont agree with that. I come from the Question Authority approach.. and I wanna know the sources and where things came from.. AND see logically why something was said i.e. date and time it was said

just think as to the First message that got relaid to the prophet saw.. Iqra ! to Read... be educated! but when do people question the sources??? When do people read and question the sources to the hadiths! to see if it even holds any water?

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.