Divorce after getting 10 yr GC

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I flied for removing conditions a year ago and got approved like 3-4 months ago. Now I have 10 years permanet GC in my hand but I found out my husband is cheating and he wants a divorce with me. It's been only 3-4 months after I got 10 years one. I am so confused and in huge panic. Please give me advices. My concerns might be very stupid but I am in panic and lost!

1. Would I be able to remain in United States?

2. Would USCIS remove/get rid of my permanent residency from me?

3. Do I need to report to USCIS after divoce is finalized? How and what (If anyone knows)?

4. Can I get remarried in further future if I wanted to?

5. Does this affect to renew this GC next 10 years?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I flied for removing conditions a year ago and got approved like 3-4 months ago. Now I have 10 years permanet GC in my hand but I found out my husband is cheating and he wants a divorce with me. It's been only 3-4 months after I got 10 years one. I am so confused and in huge panic. Please give me advices. My concerns might be very stupid but I am in panic and lost!

3. Do I need to report to USCIS after divoce is finalized? How and what (If anyone knows)?

1) Yes

2) No, not for this reason

3) No, not that I am aware of

4) Yes

5) No, because all original conditions have been removed....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

1. Yes, definitely!

2. No.

3. No, you don't need to inform them.

4. Yes.

5. No. After a year of getting your 10-year GC (that means being in the US for 3 years and had uplifted your conditional permanent status, I think you are already eligible to apply for Citizenship and no need to wait another 10 years to renew your GC, you can be a Citizen). Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by vsmtghdy

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5. No. After a year of getting your 10-year GC (that means being in the US for 3 years and had uplifted your conditional permanent status, I think you are already eligible to apply for Citizenship and no need to wait another 10 years to renew your GC, you can be a Citizen). Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. [/color]

Not quite. If you get a divorce, you will need to wait 5 years from the date your conditional GC was granted to apply for citizenship.

And even if you don't want citizenship, you can renew your 10-year card without any problems.

Once you have a 10-year green card, you can divorce and get married as you please - USCIS won't care. Your status is permanent and not dependent on your original marriage any more.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

1) Yes

2) No, not for this reason

3) No, not that I am aware of

4) Yes

5) No, because all original conditions have been removed....

:thumbs: My ex is a green card holder from Mexico and never reported our divorce

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

You will need to report a change of address if you move.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You already have your ten year greencard, so it wouldn't be an immigration problem if you get divorced now. They're not going to turn around and kick you out of the US or tell you that you can't renew the card in another ten years - you are now legal and allowed to stay as long as you want on your own right, not just because of your husband. If you eventually want to marry someone else (or to stay single) it's up to you... even the USCIS can't expect a marriage to last forever in this day and age!

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.