Fettman

Loans...

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My girlfriend has some loans that she took out to pay for her school. They are through Citibank Russia. Of course her monthly payments are quite high and so I am looking into refinancing it when we get married. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

"He who does not take risks, does not drink the champagne" - Russian Proverb

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married
2/7/11 - Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Timeline
My girlfriend has some loans that she took out to pay for her school. They are through Citibank Russia. Of course her monthly payments are quite high and so I am looking into refinancing it when we get married. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

I think I answered my own question. I think I can just get a consolidation loan from a bank here, pay off her loan, and then have a better interest rate and better monthly payments.

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Timeline
Hehe sounds like it:)

Yeah, I tend to ask questions and then answer them. I just do not think about it enough sometimes :)

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

From what I here, if you have loans from other countries and you move permenantly to the US with no intention to go back you can default on it and get away with it!

The countries use completely different credit reporting criteria and systems. And a default loan is not a crime.

I heard some folks from the UK board talk of this. Pretty cool to rack up 40k in credit card debt and then split. :P

Timeline
From what I here, if you have loans from other countries and you move permenantly to the US with no intention to go back you can default on it and get away with it!

The countries use completely different credit reporting criteria and systems. And a default loan is not a crime.

I heard some folks from the UK board talk of this. Pretty cool to rack up 40k in credit card debt and then split. :P

Hmmm, well I think some of her family signed off on the loan, so I do not think I want to leave them in the dust. She would kill me anyway :)

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Timeline
Hmmm, well I think some of her family signed off on the loan, so I do not think I want to leave them in the dust. She would kill me anyway :)
You didn't mention that there were co-signers in the original post.

Timeline
You didn't mention that there were co-signers in the original post.

Well, I was not sure and I did not think it relevant to paying off a loan. If they are not, well then it might be a good idea as long as their were no legal rammifications :)

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How about if you refinance it when you get married, like through a debt consolidation loan and just pay them off?

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, consider various options such as using a home mortgage line of credit, versus other unsecured types of loans. Oftentimes LOCs can be converted to a fixed rate 2nd mortgage (at least my credit union does). They allow this for up to 2 loans during the life of the LOC.

Another option (if you have them) is to secure the consolidation loan with securities (stocks, mutual funds) that you are holding for long term investment. Loans secured this way generally have lower interest rates also. In fact, I was able to use a portion of my retirement account to secure a loan that I used to purchase a 1st home purcase. I know this wasn't common at the time, but things may have changed (its been 8 years) and exceptions for education are almost as common as exceptions for 1st homes these days.

PS: Don't forget to track all loan interest and fee payments closely. I believe you'll find its all tax deductable as education loan expenses (maybe only if you itemize deductions)

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

It was tough finding a good rate for an equity loan and there were several denials until Bank of America came through

with no cost and a decent interest rate considering my not so good credit score and the shaky housing market.

I thank God for that loan :innocent:

Timeline
Seriously though, consider various options such as using a home mortgage line of credit, versus other unsecured types of loans.
Think long and hard before you use your property as collateral for a loan. The marriage better last, because if something goes wrong, she just transferred the debt to you and is in the clear as well as her parents if the money you borrow pays off her high interest loans.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Think long and hard before you use your property as collateral for a loan. The marriage better last, because if something goes wrong, she just transferred the debt to you and is in the clear as well as her parents if the money you borrow pays off her high interest loans.

Trading an unsecured loan for a secured one is always a bad idea.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Trading an unsecured loan for a secured one is always a bad idea.

Well, the good thing is that I do not have a house or really anything I can use as collateral, so I cannot trade anything for anything. However, I think I can still get a good rate from my credit union, but we will see. All of this hinges on many things right now, so it is kind of a moot point anything :), just wanted to hear some thoughts on it.

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Timeline

All this reminds me of an episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer is buying a car and the guy is talking to him about financing and outlining all his payments. At the end he says, "Oh, then after your final monthly payment, there's the CBP or Crippling Blow Payment." and Homer replies "But that's not for a while right?" and the salesman says "Right!" and then Homer proceeds to sign the contract. Now that is the way to think about getting loans, not worrying about tomorrow as long as I get what I want now :)

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.