did you change your name?- for the mena girls

name change  

56 members have voted

1. 1. did you change your last name?

• yes to my husband's
    • yes back to my family name
    • no

53 posts in this topic

I changed my last name, I still had my ex's last name so I couldn't wait to get rid of it and I'm happy with my new name. Nothing like a name change to confuse the creditors :P

Jun 26, 06 - 129-F filed

Sep 27, 06 - NOA2

Nov 28, 06 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS!!!

Dec 12, 06 - VISA IN HAND

Dec 29, 06 - MARRIED!!

Jan 8, 07 - filed for AOS and EAD

Apr 3, 07 - EAD approved!!!

Apr 7, 07 - EAD card arrived!

May 10, 07 - Interview....APPROVED!!!

May 23, 07 - GC in hand

Feb 10, 09 - I-751 sent to CSC

Feb 12, 09 - NOA1

Apr 20, 09 - Approved!

Jun 12, 09 - Card Production Ordered

Jun 19, 09 - 10 year GC Received

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I understand wanting to be called Mrs So and so... but.. marriage IS all about the love and actions... not the titles.. and words ;)

plus.. his last name didnt flow with my name :blink:

The only way I could love being called Mr. and Mrs. is because of the love and actions in the marriage. If there weren't any love and actions behind that, it wouldn't be endearing at all. I hated being called Mr. and Mrs. in my first marriage. I couldn't change my name back to my maiden name fast enough.

My last name and his last name don't flow together at all but I still hyphenated it anyway. My name, my ex's name and my husband's name are all hard to pronounce so it's nothing new for me.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I added my husband's last name to my own last name -- no hyphen.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I never changed my last name the first time I was married...my daughter has her dad's last name, but it really isn't that big of a deal to me I guess...so, if it is important to him I will...if not, I may leave it....who knows??

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

Noa's received--6/18/2008 (date of 6/13/2008)

Biometrics appt--7/9/2008

RFE's received--7/12/2008

Resubmitted information--8/11/2008

EAD Card production ordered--10/2/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

Work card received in mail--10/11/2008

Applied for SSN--10/15/2008

.png

If I was living in Jordan, I wouldn't take his last name because its not so common to do so and there is really no emphasis placed on it. However here, I am taking his last name because there is always so much emphasis placed on it daily life.

Also in the US, living with someone and having kids doesn't always mean you are married and I don't want anyone to have that impression of us so I prefer to make it clear that we are married. No offense to anyone but that's just my personal belief for MY life.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
For the ladies, when you married your mena man, did you change your last name? I know this topic has already been done in the past but I'm too tired right now to look it up. lol.

I'm struggling on what to do. I currently have my ex's name and want to obviously get rid of that but I don't know if I should take my husband's last name or my maiden name. :help:

Same with me Doodlebug, can't decide if I want to do alllllll of that paperwork...again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:unsure: Now I'm confused. Over here we sometimes look forward to the name change with marriage. I know I was. But when we discussed it he told me not too because this is not common there. He said in the Quran you are supposed to keep the fathers name this is why they have 6 last names and it can go on further all the back in their geneology. He gave me an example such as his sister who got married and kept her fathers name. Then when his sister and her husband had children the daughter go her first name and then her fathers first name then his fathers first name ect...

The name thing is the most confusing for me. He gives me the name Almurshidy as the family name but in his sisters email she spelled it Elmershady. Then he tells me at the airport they call him Mr. Aly by his very last name. But on his ID they go by his third last name Saied. For less confusion I kept my last name although if we did have kids I'd want my last name to be their last name but then it wouldn't be the same as his last name.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I changed my lastname when I got back to the U.S after we married and my husband loved that I took his name, and so do I. I also went through what moody did with the lastnames of my children so I had talked to them before I went to Egypt and after I came back about how they felt about me changing my name. They were all for it. :) I love my husband and am so proud to have his name with me.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
At first I was confused about whether or not to change my last name. On one hand I didn't want my ex's last name anymore but on the other I wanted to keep the same last name as my children. But then again I didn't feel it was right to have another man's last name while I'm married to Moh. I wasn't gonna change back to my maiden name because it's so damn common (Miller). In the end I took Moh's last name. I like it plus it looks and sounds nice (if you say it properly).

Your son looks very nice and lovely I love that picture.. well I changed my name because I love very much to feel me and my husband are one thing besides his ex wife still have his last name so If I didn't take his last name It wouldn't sound good I love very much my married name ...

AOS JOURNEY:

===========

2007- April -25: AOS SENT AND FILED

2007- April -27:AOS package delivered

2007- May -05: NOA1 recieved in Mail

2007- May -23: Biometrics Appointment @ 9 Am

2007- May -15: RFE recieved

2007- June-05:RFE paper sent

2007- June-08: RFE recieved

2007- August- 08 : Interview at 10 A.M

2007- october- 04 :Card production ordered

2007-october- 05: Welcome letter recieved in mail

2007-october-11 : Approval notice sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I wanted so much to change my name when I married Wael, however just the thought of having to deal with the DMV, Social Security and any other government entity name made me think....do I REALLY want to have MORE frustrations in my life...I think the embassy is enough!! :lol::lol: So kept my name :star:

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
If I was living in Jordan, I wouldn't take his last name because its not so common to do so and there is really no emphasis placed on it. However here, I am taking his last name because there is always so much emphasis placed on it daily life.

Also in the US, living with someone and having kids doesn't always mean you are married and I don't want anyone to have that impression of us so I prefer to make it clear that we are married. No offense to anyone but that's just my personal belief for MY life.

We discussed this before we got married. My husband said it was up to me...he wasn't going to influence me. I told him I was going to insist upon changing my name because it is what is traditionally done in the US (and I come from a pretty traditional family-- although I like to break the mold). Also...I couldn't imagine in the future confusion / questions that may arise if I did not have the same last name as our potential children.

Twila

(On a selfish vane, I looked forward to a much shorter last name...every time I used to sign a hallway pass previously it would take FOREVER.)

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I changed my name as soon as I got back to the U.S. I couldn't wait. And it made my husband so happy that I took his name :yes: Plus we file taxes togeather and it helps with no confusion there. :thumbs:

when i got married the first time I took his name than after we divorce I went back to my maiden name , but Hasan loves it when i write him and sign Mony Salhi, his last name and i can not wait to be able to sign it to everything. mony

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I debated about it. I thought about combining the two, but that would be terribly long. I signed his name on the marriage certificate and it felt very natural, so I took his name, and it didn't take long at all to get used to it.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.