pak

Probably not the right forum...

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Please move it to appropriate topic, if it does not belong here.

My fiancee wants to change a name after we get married, when is that done? Do we get a marriage license in her old name? Or there's place on marriage license for "current name" and "name after marriage" for her?

Sorry for naive question, but I simply don't know.

Thanks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when you apply for the marriage license, she will put down her maiden name. once married, she can start using her married name, such as when applying for AOS.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Please move it to appropriate topic, if it does not belong here.

My fiancee wants to change a name after we get married, when is that done? Do we get a marriage license in her old name? Or there's place on marriage license for "current name" and "name after marriage" for her?

Sorry for naive question, but I simply don't know.

Thanks!

The procedure for a wife to take the husband's family name at marriage tends to vary from State to State. Some require a declaration of intent to do so, that may be as simple as checking a box on the license or application for license. When you go to get the license, just ask them and they'll walk you through it. It's an ever day thing.

Her passport won't change so generally you buy airline tickets in the passport name and then if the green card doesn't match the passport, you may want to keep a copy of your marriage certificate to show upon US entry.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Her passport won't change so generally you buy airline tickets in the passport name and then if the green card doesn't match the passport, you may want to keep a copy of your marriage certificate to show upon US entry.

Most countries allow a passport to be updated with a new name after marriage.... some just make an amendment others you get a new passport... but it can be done so there is no need to have the problem of tickets in one name and greencard in another...

Kez

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Most countries allow a passport to be updated with a new name after marriage.... some just make an amendment others you get a new passport... but it can be done so there is no need to have the problem of tickets in one name and greencard in another...

Kez

:thumbs:

My passport was amended shortly after i was married, i got the old one returned with the corner clipped and a new one sent to me within 5 working days!! Not bad eh Kez, and to think i thought UKPA was slow and would take around 4-6 weeks or so i was told when i took my old passport and application forms to the post office to be check over for the minimal fee!!

Maria

Separated!!

Timeline

Kez

My passport was amended shortly after i was married, i got the old one returned with the corner clipped and a new one sent to me within 5 working days!! Not bad eh Kez, and to think i thought UKPA was slow and would take around 4-6 weeks or so i was told when i took my old passport and application forms to the post office to be check over for the minimal fee!!

Maria

You were married in your home country. The OP's fiance will be married in the US, so she will arrive in the US using a passport and visa in her maiden name. Her name will change here, in the US. Depending on the country, it can be very difficult to obtain a new passport without going home but in most cases it can be done. Many find it cumbersome enough that for some time, they simply use their maiden name on their passport.

For instance, a Chinese woman would have to travel to a Chinese Consulate, in person to even renew a passport without a name change. Some countries have only one Embassy in Washington D.C. The OP doesn't mention the country of origin.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Kez

Maria

You were married in your home country. The OP's fiance will be married in the US, so she will arrive in the US using a passport and visa in her maiden name. Her name will change here, in the US. Depending on the country, it can be very difficult to obtain a new passport without going home but in most cases it can be done. Many find it cumbersome enough that for some time, they simply use their maiden name on their passport.

For instance, a Chinese woman would have to travel to a Chinese Consulate, in person to even renew a passport without a name change. Some countries have only one Embassy in Washington D.C. The OP doesn't mention the country of origin.

I never said that it would not be difficult to change or renew a pasport... but for you to make a blanket statement that "Her passport won't change so generally you buy airline tickets in the passport name and then if the green card doesn't match the passport, you may want to keep a copy of your marriage certificate to show upon US entry" is incorrect... it can be changed if you wish to do it.... and many many people who are married in the US change their passport after marriage from within the US...

Kez

Edited by Niagaenola

Timeline

Kez

Maria

I never said that it would not be difficult to change or renew a pasport... but for you to make a blanket statement that "Her passport won't change so generally you buy airline tickets in the passport name and then if the green card doesn't match the passport, you may want to keep a copy of your marriage certificate to show upon US entry" is incorrect... it can be changed if you wish to do it.... and many many people who are married in the US change their passport after marriage from within the US...

Kez

Her passport will not change at the marriage office. If it is changed later, fine. My remarks had a context and were intended to get the OP to slap his forehead and think, "Oh, the passport. Maybe we need to think this through some more." No need to get pissy.

The process is so cumbersome that many also find it more practical to carry a copy of their marriage certificate when traveling abroad.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Other Timeline

Kez

Maria

Kez was married here in the US.

Was not getting pissy!!!!! just correcting your blanket statement... if you re-read what you wrote it reads that Her passport won't change.... and that is not true... it could change if she chooses to do so... how she would go about changing it will depend on the country that issued the passport.... easier for some not so easy for other but it can be done...

Kez

We sent in the AOS with Claudeth using my last name. The most difficult thing was to change her name on her passport. We had to provide just about everything we provided when I filed the K-1.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I was married in the U.S. then returned home to UK. My husband (the petitioner) filed for a K-3.

On my return to the UK i had my passport changed to my married name. I was not married in my home country as you put it!!!

Separated!!

Timeline

Kez

Maria

I think you'll find my post above is in response to Maria, not Kez. The subject seems to have been adequately covered at this point.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

i don't see where anyone got pissy from the get-go, it would be a sad sight to see another bickering fest begin due to adding some unneeded flowery language into a post.

keep the talk straight please!

edited due to another typo :P

Edited by LaL

Filed: Other Timeline

Kez

Maria

I think you'll find my post above is in response to Maria, not Kez. The subject seems to have been adequately covered at this point.

Yes, I see that was my reading error.

IMO it would have been lovely if you could have discussed the topic with these two ladies without making judgment calls about nature of the posts.

*posted simultaneously as Lal was posting*

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.