Marilyn.

Windows Vista Problem

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
so anybody have any other ideas??

Marilyn, I'm using Vista at work here...actually the only one here with it. Whenever I open video, it takes forever, but eventually it opens. I'd suggest opening video with Quicktime...that's my work around. It stills takes awhile to open, but it does work.

(I think it has something to do with authentication/authorization. MS wants to eventually restrict media that doesn't have a license to run on Windows Vista...Nice, huh?)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My only suggestion now is really to uninstall it, and then reinstall it. Or install quicktime, realplayer or itunes. Also, if you can get it to run as administrator then do so, go into help and then about, and see if there is a detect and repair option. If so try this.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Marilyn, I'm using Vista at work here...actually the only one here with it. Whenever I open video, it takes forever, but eventually it opens. I'd suggest opening video with Quicktime...that's my work around. It stills takes awhile to open, but it does work.

(I think it has something to do with authentication/authorization. MS wants to eventually restrict media that doesn't have a license to run on Windows Vista...Nice, huh?)

i do have quicktime but that still doesn't solve my Netflix player problem... :unsure:

My only suggestion now is really to uninstall it, and then reinstall it. Or install quicktime, realplayer or itunes. Also, if you can get it to run as administrator then do so, go into help and then about, and see if there is a detect and repair option. If so try this.

I can't uninstall it....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i do have quicktime but that still doesn't solve my Netflix player problem... :unsure:

I can't uninstall it....

You should be able to uninstall it. I cant remember the exact path, but I think it is in control panel. Then programs then in the windows component section. Let me boot into vista and I will have a look.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

tried that and it still doesn't work...

i think I found a way to uninstall it but first I have to figure out how to run vista in Safe mode if it even can... :blink:

oh shoot just noticed that says how to remove in XP :unsure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372/en-us

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You can play SL with your vista? Oh my,,I should change the card,,,,,it has a x1300 raedon ...how much are new cards?

J

Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL

Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

OR Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4)

NOTE: Second Life does NOT currently support Windows Vista

Computer Processor: 800MHz Pentium III or Athlon, or better

Computer Memory: 256MB or better

Video/Graphics Card**:

nVidia GeForce 2, GeForce 4mx, or better

OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250, or better

x1300 raedon is a fairly new and good card. link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i finally got it working.... i just inserted the Vista disc and checked "Install Now" and just did an upgrade (it upgrades windows but it keeps all your files etc...)

and now it works :thumbs:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

i finally got it working.... i just inserted the Vista disc and checked "Install Now" and just did an upgrade (it upgrades windows but it keeps all your files etc...)

and now it works :thumbs:

ah yes. Forgot vista allows that. I would also recommend using the various backup features vista has. That way if anything goes wrong again, you can quickly restore the previous settings / files..

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

shoot, after doing a little research I found out that the "upgrade" thing i did just installs a trial run of an upgrade and last for about 30 days... :wacko:

Firstly, it is not possible to upgrade simply by putting the upgrade DVD into your computer. This only results in a trial upgrade being installed and reduced functionality after 30 days when your computer asks for a product key you don't have and need to pay for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Anytime_Upgrade

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

someone had this suggestion on another site... I wonder if this was the problem...

Yeah -- I got my problem fixed, where WMP 11 wouldn't open. It seems that

when it was installed on the computer, the default for it was to save files

to a playlist (which it shouldn't be as the user should decide if any files

are to be saved to a list). Somewhere along the line that playlist got

corrupted (and I didn't even know I had one as I never use them). I followed

this from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925718

took out the files they suggested, and set my options to not save any files

to a playlist. Now my WMP 11 works again every time I reboot.

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=777838

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

well, I procrastinated in backing up my stuff and reinstalling the previous version of Vista and it totally locked me out of my computer this morning... the only thing it would let me do was access the internet...

so I had to do a reinstall ... it all worked out but now I have to reinstall all my programs and settings... blech, I hate that...

luckily I had saved most of my stuff on my second drive and it is all still there :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif