Marilyn.

Windows Vista Problem

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i have been having a problem with my windows Media Player for the last couple of days..... the problem is that it doesn't work.... When I click on it basically nothing happens....

the only way it works is if you right click on it and then run it as administrator...

I tried uninstalling all the recent updates and all the programs I have installed in the last little while but it still doesn't work...

I tired asking the question on a tech site but they don't seem to know what is wrong and according to that site it looks like a lot of people are having the same problem...

yeah, I know I could use a different media player and I have downloaded the VLC player ...but I can't even use my Netflix Movie player now either because the windows media player and the Netflix player are somehow connected ..

does anybody know what the problem could be?? :blink::unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
i have been having a problem with my windows Media Player for the last couple of days..... the problem is that it doesn't work.... When I click on it basically nothing happens....

the only way it works is if you right click on it and then run it as administrator...

I tried uninstalling all the recent updates and all the programs I have installed in the last little while but it still doesn't work...

I tired asking the question on a tech site but they don't seem to know what is wrong and according to that site it looks like a lot of people are having the same problem...

yeah, I know I could use a different media player and I have downloaded the VLC player ...but I can't even use my Netflix Movie player now either because the windows media player and the Netflix player are somehow connected ..

I had a similar problem, here is the solution I found

1. Click Start - All Programs - Accesories

2. Right Click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator"

3. Type the following command and press Enter.

regsvr32 wmp.dll

Popup Regsvr32 will come up with the following:

DLLRegisterServer in wmp.dll succeeded.

Start Media Player.....it worked for me. I have Vista Home Premium.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Timeline

regsvr32 wmp.dll

the thing worked that you said to do but the media player still doesn't work..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

regsvr32 wmp.dll

the thing worked that you said to do but the media player still doesn't work..

The only thing I can think of is that Windows Vista has got all the crazy asking for permissions all the time. I wonder if when you installed it, u installed it as administrator, but then didn't select the option to be used as all users who log into this computer.

As I said I got it to work this way, but it does sound like a permission issue.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Timeline

I have had this computer and the windows vista on it for well over a month now and windows media player has worked fine that whole time.. only recently, I think it was last Thursday or so has the media player stopped working... :unsure:

jusst wanted to add that windows Vista was already installed on the computer when we bought it....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

What version do you have?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

windows Vista basic..

or do you mean the media player.. I have WMP 11... in vista it comes integrated with the OS and thre is no way to uninstall it or repair it etc....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I hate Vista! I bought a new computer to run my SecondLife and it won't open :( Either SL has to go Vista, or I have to buy a used tower that has XP.

Jackie

I had the opposite problem... it wouldn't work on my old computer with XP ... but it works fine on this new computer with Windows Vista...

are you sure it is vista that is causing the problem and not your video card?? mine wouldn't work on the old computer because it had a crappy video card

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Have you tried reinstalling it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx

I hate Vista! I bought a new computer to run my SecondLife and it won't open :( Either SL has to go Vista, or I have to buy a used tower that has XP.

Jackie

yes Vista is very picky about hardware. I cannot even use my old webcam. But once you get the latest hardware it is quite good.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline
You can play SL with your vista? Oh my,,I should change the card,,,,,it has a x1300 raedon ...how much are new cards?

J

i have no idea...

I am pretty sure on the SL site it gives you a list of the video cards that work with SL...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
You can play SL with your vista? Oh my,,I should change the card,,,,,it has a x1300 raedon ...how much are new cards?

J

i have no idea...

I am pretty sure on the SL site it gives you a list of the video cards that work with SL...

PC Minimum System Recommendations:

* Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL

* Computer Processor: 1.6GHz Pentium 4 or Athlon 2000+ or better

* Computer Memory: 512MB or better

* Video/Graphics Card**:

o nVidia GeForce FX 5600, GeForce 6600, or better

o OR ATI Radeon 9600, X600, or better

http://secondlife.com/corporate/sysreqs.php

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Buy a MAC! :thumbs: Problems just disappear! :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
Have you tried reinstalling it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx

Jackie

yes Vista is very picky about hardware. I cannot even use my old webcam. But once you get the latest hardware it is quite good.

yeah, I tired and it says "a more recent version of Windows Media player is already installed on your computer... It is not possible to use an older instalation package to install files or repair your current version of the player..."

well, then how do I repair my more recent player?? :P Microsft... sheesh!!! :P

it says I have version 11.0.6000.6336...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif