tol82go

Marriage License problem

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Reposted as topic.

My situation is kind different. I went to the Philippines married my beautiful wife and everything went great until the day before I left. We realized that the place of birth for my wife on the marriage certificate was wrong. The register had put my wifes current residence instead of her place of birth. Upon some more research I learned that the only way to change it is to hire an attorney in the Phil. and get a court order which takes at least a month. So I am wondering how critical will that be? Should I just send it in for the K-3 visa and not worry about it right now? We will still have to change it since I believe when she goes to get her passport it will be a problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Reposted as topic.

My situation is kind different. I went to the Philippines married my beautiful wife and everything went great until the day before I left. We realized that the place of birth for my wife on the marriage certificate was wrong. The register had put my wifes current residence instead of her place of birth. Upon some more research I learned that the only way to change it is to hire an attorney in the Phil. and get a court order which takes at least a month. So I am wondering how critical will that be? Should I just send it in for the K-3 visa and not worry about it right now? We will still have to change it since I believe when she goes to get her passport it will be a problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The marriage certificate is used to establish that you are legally husband and wife, and the date. It is not used to verify the place of birth. However, there is no way to know whether some person in the process will notice a detail like a discrepancy between the place of birth on the certificate and the other documents. If the birth date is the same on all documents, I think you may be ok.

The Catch 22, is that if you inquire, the answer will be that you need the marriage certificate corrected. If you don't inquire and they notice and make an issue of the discrepancy, you will need the marriage certificate corrected. If you do nothing and they don't notice, or they notice and don't make an issue of it, you're home free.

The safe bet is to get the certificate corrected.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I believe you have to change the entry in your marriage certificate regarding the Place of birth of your wife because in almost all of the forms for filing the visa, the petition itself, the g-325a, and the packet 4 has entries asking for your wife's birthplace. .especially the passport. Your marriage certificate will be one of the documents you have to submit to the USCIS when you start applying for the visa and definitely they will see the different entry in the marriage certificate . The change of entry in the Marriage certificate has to be ordered by the court and will probably take 3 to 6 months the most. .not just one month.

Hope this helps and goodluck :)

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Timeline
The change of entry in the Marriage certificate has to be ordered by the court and will probably take 3 to 6 months the most. .not just one month.

Hope this helps and goodluck :)

I was going off what the attorney in the Phil. told me before I left. He said it would only take a month and that I did not need to be there since it was just a change to her portion of the certificate.

Thanks for the help

From where in the Philippines is your wife? If it takes one month there, then, thats really good news. But I doubt that because from the filing of petition of the correction , the same has to be published for 3 consecutive weeks before it will be heard. After the issuance of the order ,the process doesnt end there. There is a waiting period from issuance of the order like 45 days before a certificate of finaliy will be issued. . after that, the same has to be registered in the Local Civil Registrar in the place where your wife was born , and the proper correction be made in the National Statistics office before a new Marriage certificate with the correct entry will be issued. Anyhow, just hang in there and maybe start the process already :)

myla

Edited by jom

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is just a thought, but we had a discrepancy in our marraige papers also and what we did was the women in the courthouse was a friend of ours and had arrainged our wedding. Before the marraige papers went to malacanang for the ribbon, we had her correct them.

Timeline
This is just a thought, but we had a discrepancy in our marraige papers also and what we did was the women in the courthouse was a friend of ours and had arrainged our wedding. Before the marraige papers went to malacanang for the ribbon, we had her correct them.

The same here, my wife befriended the woman at the register and we had already changed where they had my name wrong before it was sent to the NSO office. But this time it has done been sent to NSO and off to Manila before we realized the error. The woman at the register told us that if NSO has not sent it to Manila she would get it and change it but it had already been sent. It kind of burns me cause they are the ones that made the mistake. But I made the mistake of not catching it.

It was in Dipolog City.

Thanks

Oh I noticed all the corruption going on in their government. Maybe it is one month if you pay enough....

Just a thought

Edited by tol82go

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Reposted as topic.

Thanks

Talk to the Local Civil Registrar first if they can do something about it, sometimes it takes time for a local Civil Registry to submit papers to NSO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.