Jahan&Veena

London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors

2,055 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, VisaDJ said:

Should be getting my GP summary back today - have to go and 'review' it at the surgery, to make sure it has everything I need, which is good. Only thing is that it's going to cost £60(!!!) which I find pretty outrageous :( 

It seems a lot but once you get here you'll miss the NHS with all its flaws....

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
24 minutes ago, trudi said:

It seems a lot but once you get here you'll miss the NHS with all its flaws....

Yes, in the grand scheme of things it is worth it, but it's still quite frustrating to pay £60 for what is a few bullet points on a piece of paper :) 

Here's hoping I can join my fiancee's health insurance as and when I get over to the US!

13 hours ago, VisaDJ said:

Yes, in the grand scheme of things it is worth it, but it's still quite frustrating to pay £60 for what is a few bullet points on a piece of paper :) 

Here's hoping I can join my fiancee's health insurance as and when I get over to the US!

Ouch! Our surgery offer the ability to sign up online to get access to your own records, where you can print off a "patient summary". We're hoping to do that for his physical medical history, as it's free (he needs to go turn in the form for them to set it up) and then we'll only have to get a letter regarding mental health history (so it can contain the magic phrase)...

I am the USC, my husband is a UKC. IR-1 via DCF London.

3/24/2017: I-130 packet sent

3/28/2017: NOA1 date

5/19/2017: NOA2 date (received 5/25)

6/14/2017: LND number received

6/27/2017: medical booked

6/29/2017: Knightsbridge call that needs to come back for 2nd chest x-ray

6/30/2017: 2nd chest x-ray

7/3/2017: Knightsbridge call to confirm x-ray was clear

7/5/2017: interview booked - approved in principle pending receipt of medical

7/6/2017: status changed to Issued

7/09/2017: e-mail from courier that it had been received from embassy

7/10/2017: courier delivered

future:

8/8/2017: POE Denver In'tl Airport

13 hours ago, VisaDJ said:

For us getting married triggered the 'major life event' thingy for life insurance which meant he could add me outside of the normal enrollment period :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline
13 minutes ago, trudi said:

For us getting married triggered the 'major life event' thingy for life insurance which meant he could add me outside of the normal enrollment period :)

Yes, thankfully my fiancee has very good insurance through work, so I can most likely join that for a small fee per month. That said, who knows what the future holds healthcare-wise in the US :wacko:

1 minute ago, VisaDJ said:

Yes, thankfully my fiancee has very good insurance through work, so I can most likely join that for a small fee per month. That said, who knows what the future holds healthcare-wise in the US :wacko:

Immigrating to the US qualifies as a life event, even without the marriage being recent. So you would have like a month after moving.

Unless you're a K-1 (on my phone, can't see profile), in which case you may need to marry first. Not sure if you can add a fiancé to insurance. At least my employee asked for our marriage certificate and evidence of the date of her arrival.

Timeline
1 minute ago, bcking said:

Immigrating to the US qualifies as a life event, even without the marriage being recent. So you would have like a month after moving.

Unless you're a K-1 (on my phone, can't see profile), in which case you may need to marry first. Not sure if you can add a fiancé to insurance. At least my employee asked for our marriage certificate and evidence of the date of her arrival.

Yes, I am a K1er... Definitely can't get added to the insurance until we are married, but the insurance should backdate to the actual wedding date, even if the paperwork hasn't processed by time I need it for something.

42 minutes ago, VisaDJ said:

Yes, I am a K1er... Definitely can't get added to the insurance until we are married, but the insurance should backdate to the actual wedding date, even if the paperwork hasn't processed by time I need it for something.

Yes true, it won't backdate for the time you are in the country before the wedding though. So you will have a gap there, which is unfortunate.

In another thread I remember discussing with other people about whether they think "travel insurance" would cover a K-1 visa holder prior to their marriage. Since the K-1 visa isn't an immigrant visa, you are technically still a "visitor" until you marry and then adjust for status. My feeling is you could argue the case, but most people seemed to think the travel insurance would fight you and not pay in case of emergency. Obviously travel insurance also doesn't cover regular care, but really what you worry about is being unlucky and having some big health related event happen in the few weeks between arrival and marriage.

Timeline
1 minute ago, bcking said:

Yes true, it won't backdate for the time you are in the country before the wedding though. So you will have a gap there, which is unfortunate.

In another thread I remember discussing with other people about whether they think "travel insurance" would cover a K-1 visa holder prior to their marriage. Since the K-1 visa isn't an immigrant visa, you are technically still a "visitor" until you marry and then adjust for status. My feeling is you could argue the case, but most people seemed to think the travel insurance would fight you and not pay in case of emergency. Obviously travel insurance also doesn't cover regular care, but really what you worry about is being unlucky and having some big health related event happen in the few weeks between arrival and marriage.

Yes, I did wonder about travel insurance, but like you say, it may be a tough one as they could try to fight you on various technicalities. I should literally have a 2-3 week period between arriving and the wedding, so hopefully wont need any medical care during that time (fingers crossed!).

Timeline

So, I had my medical at the end of last week... Thought i'd throw my experiences out there to (hopefully) make anyone going through the process feel better about it, because it really was very easy and non-stressful (and that's coming from someone who suffers from anxiety!).

1 - Travelled to Baker Street and walked to the medical location (Bentinck Street), which took somewhere between 10 and 15 mins. Was very straightforwards (although Google Maps was helping). Very nice street and building, as you'd expect, given the area.

2 - Buzzed on the door and went into the building about 10 minutes early (they are located on the ground floor, on the right hand side as you go into the building) and was told by reception I'd have to sit in the waiting area until my actual appointment time, which I did.

3 - Went back to reception 10 minutes later and they simply asked if I had all the required paperwork, which I then handed over. They gave me a clipboard with a couple of basic forms (with yes/no type questions) and also a red plastic bag with a small bottle for me to provide a urine sample.

4 - Filled in the forms in the waiting area, then brought the forms back to reception and after handing them back, went into the bathroom for the sample (the bathroom is right in front of the reception windows), and handed that in, inside the red bag.

5 - Waited for about 10 mins or so and was then called through by a young, male doctor, for the medical examination and blood sample. He was extremely professional and pleasant, and I felt very much at ease throughout. He ran through the forms I had filled in, the medical summary from my GP and asked various questions, which were all very non-intrusive and basic. At no point did I feel as though I was being grilled or anything like that. As other people have mentioned, with most responses (such as asking about chickenpox) they are willing to just take your word for. After the paperwork was done, he asked me to strip down to my underwear (he said that no genital examination was required - not sure why), which I did beside a medical bed, with a curtain pulled across for privacy (although it was only him and I in the room, anyway). Once I was ready I gave him a shout and he came and took my blood pressure as I sat on the bed, and then listened to my heartbeat, breathing etc. before asking me to lay down so he could examine me, which basically consisted of him pressing various areas on my stomach, sides and back - all very run of the mill and non-invasive. Once that was done, I continued to lay down as he took some blood - he asked how I was with having that done, and I explained that I wasn't the best with needles and he was very understanding and comforting (even asked if I wanted any water before starting), and made small talk with me as he took the sample... I really do hate having blood taken but it was all over in about 15 seconds and aside from the initial sharp scratch, was pretty painless. He then told me I could lay / sit there for as long as I needed to, just in case I felt faint, after which I could get dressed and go back to the main waiting area. All in all, I was probably in there for 15 minutes max (but probably closer to 10).

6 - After returning to the waiting area and waiting for another 5-10 mins, I was called through for my chest x-ray, by a very friendly and jovial guy... Again, he was relaxed and understanding and guided me through the process with a few jokes. After being in the room for all of 1 minute the x-ray was done and he viewed it immediately and told me on the spot that it was fine. I then headed back to the waiting area, for what he said would be the final stage of the medical, with one of the nurses.

7 - After another 5 minutes or so, the nurse called me through - another very friendly and relaxed person, who made small talk about my wedding and said congratulations etc after seeing I was on a K1 visa. She looked through my vaccinations and said that I needed to have a total of 2 Tetanus jabs and a total of 3 MMR jabs, but as there wasn't time for that before my interview, she signed me off there and then and just advised me to get the next two jabs (the 3rd MMR should be done later in the year, she said) before I went to the US - mainly for monetary reasons.

8 - Went back to the waiting room and after a few minutes a receptionist called me back round to the desk and handed back my passport, police certificate etc. and asked for payment.
9 - Paid the £290 and was told that unless they needed anything else from me (very unlikely), I wouldn't hear from them again and they'd have my results over to the embassy within 5 working days.... That was it... All done!!

10 - Walked out into the sweet afternoon air, having gotten through something that I was unbelievably nervous and anxious about, and realised that I really was worrying about nothing. It was a breeze.

In total, I was probably there for about 1hr 15 mins, and most of that was in the waiting room; the actual medical sections were very quick!

Good luck to anyone else that has their medical in the near future - you honestly have nothing to worry about!

Edited by VisaDJ

On 2017-5-9 at 3:43 AM, VisaDJ said:

So, I had my medical at the end of last week... Thought i'd throw my experiences out there to (hopefully) make anyone going through the process feel better about it, because it really was very easy and non-stressful (and that's coming from someone who suffers from anxiety!).

1 - Travelled to Baker Street and walked to the medical location (Bentinck Street), which took somewhere between 10 and 15 mins. Was very straightforwards (although Google Maps was helping). Very nice street and building, as you'd expect, given the area.

2 - Buzzed on the door and went into the building about 10 minutes early (they are located on the ground floor, on the right hand side as you go into the building) and was told by reception I'd have to sit in the waiting area until my actual appointment time, which I did.

3 - Went back to reception 10 minutes later and they simply asked if I had all the required paperwork, which I then handed over. They gave me a clipboard with a couple of basic forms (with yes/no type questions) and also a red plastic bag with a small bottle for me to provide a urine sample.

4 - Filled in the forms in the waiting area, then brought the forms back to reception and after handing them back, went into the bathroom for the sample (the bathroom is right in front of the reception windows), and handed that in, inside the red bag.

5 - Waited for about 10 mins or so and was then called through by a young, male doctor, for the medical examination and blood sample. He was extremely professional and pleasant, and I felt very much at ease throughout. He ran through the forms I had filled in, the medical summary from my GP and asked various questions, which were all very non-intrusive and basic. At no point did I feel as though I was being grilled or anything like that. As other people have mentioned, with most responses (such as asking about chickenpox) they are willing to just take your word for. After the paperwork was done, he asked me to strip down to my underwear (he said that no genital examination was required - not sure why), which I did beside a medical bed, with a curtain pulled across for privacy (although it was only him and I in the room, anyway). Once I was ready I gave him a shout and he came and took my blood pressure as I sat on the bed, and then listened to my heartbeat, breathing etc. before asking me to lay down so he could examine me, which basically consisted of him pressing various areas on my stomach, sides and back - all very run of the mill and non-invasive. Once that was done, I continued to lay down as he took some blood - he asked how I was with having that done, and I explained that I wasn't the best with needles and he was very understanding and comforting (even asked if I wanted any water before starting), and made small talk with me as he took the sample... I really do hate having blood taken but it was all over in about 15 seconds and aside from the initial sharp scratch, was pretty painless. He then told me I could lay / sit there for as long as I needed to, just in case I felt faint, after which I could get dressed and go back to the main waiting area. All in all, I was probably in there for 15 minutes max (but probably closer to 10).

6 - After returning to the waiting area and waiting for another 5-10 mins, I was called through for my chest x-ray, by a very friendly and jovial guy... Again, he was relaxed and understanding and guided me through the process with a few jokes. After being in the room for all of 1 minute the x-ray was done and he viewed it immediately and told me on the spot that it was fine. I then headed back to the waiting area, for what he said would be the final stage of the medical, with one of the nurses.

7 - After another 5 minutes or so, the nurse called me through - another very friendly and relaxed person, who made small talk about my wedding and said congratulations etc after seeing I was on a K1 visa. She looked through my vaccinations and said that I needed to have a total of 2 Tetanus jabs and a total of 3 MMR jabs, but as there wasn't time for that before my interview, she signed me off there and then and just advised me to get the next two jabs (the 3rd MMR should be done later in the year, she said) before I went to the US - mainly for monetary reasons.

8 - Went back to the waiting room and after a few minutes a receptionist called me back round to the desk and handed back my passport, police certificate etc. and asked for payment.
9 - Paid the £290 and was told that unless they needed anything else from me (very unlikely), I wouldn't hear from them again and they'd have my results over to the embassy within 5 working days.... That was it... All done!!

10 - Walked out into the sweet afternoon air, having gotten through something that I was unbelievably nervous and anxious about, and realised that I really was worrying about nothing. It was a breeze.

In total, I was probably there for about 1hr 15 mins, and most of that was in the waiting room; the actual medical sections were very quick!

Good luck to anyone else that has their medical in the near future - you honestly have nothing to worry about!

Thank you for writing all this! I am pretty nervous about this part too, so reading your experience was really helpful :) Just one quick question: what do you mean by a "medical summary from your GP"? Is that simply your vaccination record? I'm trying to get all my paperwork in order and just wanting to make sure I have all that they are wanting. Thanks!

On 09/05/2017 at 3:43 AM, VisaDJ said:

She said I have to have a total of 2 Tetanus jabs and a total of 3 MMR jabs, but as there wasn't time for that before my interview, she signed me off there and then and just advised me to get the next two jabs (the 3rd MMR should be done later in the year, she said) before I went to the US - mainly for monetary reasons.

3 MMR? As far as I'm aware MMR is a 2 part vaccine, the second being 4 weeks after the first. 

I had my MMR jab done at my regular doctor free of charge on the morning of the medical examination. The nurse said this was fine and I have since had my second jab done at my doctors surgery. 

If they waiver any vacinnation such as the second MMR shot due to insufficient time or whatever, they print an annotation on your visa with the code 212 (g) (2) (b). When the immigration officer sees this annotation he will see that a vaccination has been waivered. This will coincide with the medical report which will be enclosed in your sealed immigrant packet. 

IMG_8574.JPG

Edited by MattyUK

4 hours ago, Sojourner said:

Thank you for writing all this! I am pretty nervous about this part too, so reading your experience was really helpful :) Just one quick question: what do you mean by a "medical summary from your GP"? Is that simply your vaccination record? I'm trying to get all my paperwork in order and just wanting to make sure I have all that they are wanting. Thanks!

A summary should just list any long term or ongoing medical ailments for example asthma or eczema, and also any hospital admissions. Mine listed 2 nasal surgeries and a broken ankle I suffered years ago. 

Thats it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.