loli

Applying for US citizenship - questions and dilemma

7 posts in this topic

The conditions on my GC have just been approved (it took almost 1 year) and now I'm debating whether or not I should apply for US Citizenship. My husband thinks it is not worth it because if we ever move to my home country,

I will still have to pay income tax to the US. On the other hand, I like the idea of never dealing with immigration again and being able to vote and so on. Tough decision, so I have a few questions:

1. If I don't apply for citizenship within 90 days of my GC 3 yr anniversary, my next opportunity to apply will be 2 yrs later?[
  2. Is my husband correct about being taxed by the US even in my home country if I were a US citizen?
  3. Since we file jointly, and he is a USC, shouldn't we be taxed anyway, whether or not I am a USC too? (note: we are not even thinking about moving, it is all hypothetic)
  4. I already have dual citizenship from 2 european countries, can I have triple citizenship?
  5. How do I find out if my home country allows dual cit. with the US?

I hope people on this forum who went through this process can shed some light and answer my questions. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1, NO the earliest you can file is 90 days before your third anniversary of becoming an LPR if you are married to a US Citizen, you can file any time after that date.

2. NO, you only report income if working out of country, you are exempt from taxes on foreign income up to a certian level, you DO have to file an IRS return, failure to do so is cause for loosing LPR status.

3. You pay taxes on income in the USA, both US citizen and LPR pay Federal, State and Local taxes in the USA.

4. YES depends on if the foreign countries allow it, USA allows multi citizenship

5. Google is your friend! Search.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Not sure how updated this is, but here's the list of countries that officially allow and do not allow dual citizenship, looks like France does.

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

The question of whether my wife would apply for citizenship in the U.S. was never in doubt! The first time I asked her if she wanted U.S. citizenship, she answered in the affirmative with great excitement and expectation of fulfillment of this dream.

Your quesitons have been answered already so I won't add but I don't think you want to turn down this opportunity.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It you become a US citizen the biggest advantage is you can come and go as you please without having to worry about how long you can stay out of the US before you could lose LPR status. I think that out weighs the minor disadvantage of having to fill out a tax return if you are living outside the US.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello Lola,

I am French too and I know for sure France/US dual citizenship IS ALLOWED.

I have a french girlfriend here in Texas who became a US citizen and kept her french passport etc etc, and her husband too (he is Portuguese and took french citizenchip and now US citizenship)

I was thinking like you to do it too in one Year (I am now applying for removing my conditions) conditional green card will expire November 4th of this year ...............

and I talked recently to another French Lady here in Texas who is dealing with a lawyer since she lost her US husband from a heart attack (terrible I know) and the lawyer did tell her if she goes back to France she WILL HAVE TO FILE TO DO A TAX RETURN in USA for the rest of her life if she applies for US Citizenship ! It was a surprise to me and made me think ................

So from a Tax Point we have to think twice, and it all depends where your assets are here in the USA or at Home etc etc ...... every case is different.

If you have more info about it pls share them with me. Your topic is of high interest to me too !!!!!

I would love the freedom (because I am probably older than you and think of retiring ....) to live with my husband where we want France or USA and not report where I am etc etc ......... With green card I understand we can ask for a re-entry permit if we go to another country for over one year !

So good luck in making your decision ........ I do not think you have to apply just after 3 years ? My friends change citizenship after 15 years because they have decided not to go back home at all after all .................. but it was an easy process for them and got citisenship within 8 months both of them.

A bientot,

Chanchan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.