tanszani

Need help deciding

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After a 4 month wait, I finally got my interview date for the K3 on August 29th.

On Friday, I rec'd notice that our I-130 got approved and forwarded to the appropriate embassy in Montreal and to proceed

with the necessary paper work.

Do I go for the interview for the K3 or do I abandon that now and go for the CR/IR1??? Not sure of the wait times,

but what are the pro's and con's of each option.

Am I able to pursue both Visa's??

Any advice is appreciated..

I-129F/K3

08/22 - I129F - Mailed to Chicago

08/28 - I129F - Received by Chicago

08/30 - I129F - Received NOA1

10/23 - I129F - Transferred to VSC

11/01 - I129F - Package rec'd in VSC

11/02 - I129F - Touch

11/03 - I129F - Touch

11/04 - I129F - Touch

12/15 - I129F - APPROVED!!! WOOWWIEE!!!

01/05 - Rec'd packet from MTL consulate

08/25 - Medical Exam

08/29 - Interview at Montreal Consulate / K3 Approved

09/07 - Entered USA via Champlain, NY border. All is good.

CR1 Process

I-130

07/01/06 - I130 - Mailed to VSC

07/14/06 - I130 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

14/12/06 - I130 - ****APPROVED **** WOOHOO!!!! / But Retained..boohoo...01/03 -

I-824 sent to INS for Transfer of I-130 to NVC

01/09 - 200$ check cashed. No confirmation in mail yet..

01/11 - Touch

01/13 - I-797 receipt received in mail...

01/31 - Touch

02/01 - Touch[/color]

07/31 - Approved I-824 / Sent to NVC

09/12 - Choice of Agent Rec'd and sent back to NVC

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
After a 4 month wait, I finally got my interview date for the K3 on August 29th.

On Friday, I rec'd notice that our I-130 got approved and forwarded to the appropriate embassy in Montreal and to proceed

Do I go for the interview for the K3 or do I abandon that now and go for the CR/IR1??? Not sure of the wait times,

Your timeline conflicts with your statement above. Has your I-130 gone through the NVC process? If not, that takes at least 2 or 3 months, even using James' shortcuts. Please clarify.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Your timeline conflicts with your statement above. Has your I-130 gone through the NVC process? If not, that takes at least 2 or 3 months, even using James' shortcuts. Please clarify.

Sorry, I haven't updated my timeline in quite some time. My I-130 got approved by INS awhile ago, but got retained so I had to file an I-824 to have it move to the NVC. Finally after almost 5-6 months waiting time, they just recently approved the I-824 and now my I-130 has been forwarded to the NVC, and the forwarded to the appropriate embassy in Montreal. So now they want me to proceed with the necessary paperwork.

In the meantime, I have also just rec'd notice of an interview date for the k3...in 2 weeks time. Which means I have to decide what to do pretty quickly...

I feel really torn about what to do... go with the K3 or wait for the CR/IRI ...

I-129F/K3

11/02 - I129F - Touch

11/03 - I129F - Touch

11/04 - I129F - Touch

08/25 - Medical Exam

CR1 Process

I-130

01/11 - Touch

01/31 - Touch

02/01 - Touch[/color]

Timeline

Sorry, I haven't updated my timeline in quite some time. My I-130 got approved by INS awhile ago, but got retained so I had to file an I-824 to have it move to the NVC. Finally after almost 5-6 months waiting time, they just recently approved the I-824 and now my I-130 has been forwarded to the NVC, and the forwarded to the appropriate embassy in Montreal. So now they want me to proceed with the necessary paperwork.

In the meantime, I have also just rec'd notice of an interview date for the k3...in 2 weeks time. Which means I have to decide what to do pretty quickly...

I feel really torn about what to do... go with the K3 or wait for the CR/IRI ...

Ok, so your I-130 has been forwarded to NVC. Has it gone through the months long NVC process yet?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You don't have time to go through the NVC process for a CR1/IR1 visa if the I-130 was just forwarded to the NVC. I'm afraid your interview will be for a K3 visa.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Ok, so your I-130 has been forwarded to NVC. Has it gone through the months long NVC process yet?

No, Right now, the I-130 was fowarded to the NVC which was forwarded to the Montreal Embassy. My husband just got the notice to pay for the AOS fee. I also got package in the mail in Canada as well to begin all the Paperwork towards the CR1/IR1. So the NVC process for the I-130 is just beginning. What do you think?

You don't have time to go through the NVC process for a CR1/IR1 visa if the I-130 was just forwarded to the NVC. I'm afraid your interview will be for a K3 visa.

I thought I could abandon the K3 to pursue the IR1/CR1 Visa, which goes back to my original question. Do I abandon or not...not sure what to do.

I-129F/K3

11/02 - I129F - Touch

11/03 - I129F - Touch

11/04 - I129F - Touch

08/25 - Medical Exam

CR1 Process

I-130

01/11 - Touch

01/31 - Touch

02/01 - Touch[/color]

Timeline

No, Right now, the I-130 was fowarded to the NVC which was forwarded to the Montreal Embassy. My husband just got the notice to pay for the AOS fee. I also got package in the mail in Canada as well to begin all the Paperwork towards the CR1/IR1. So the NVC process for the I-130 is just beginning. What do you think?

I thought I could abandon the K3 to pursue the IR1/CR1 Visa, which goes back to my original question. Do I abandon or not...not sure what to do.

Please read carefully. Your case has not gone to Montreal. It is still at NVC. The NVC process takes a couple months and then your file goes to Montreal and gets in a months long queue for an interview. The only way you can avoid waiting several more months to be reunited is to go ahead with your K3 interview. Your I-130 will not make it to Montreal before the K3 interview date.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

If I were in your position, I would take the K3 interview. I wouldn't want to add several months of waiting just to avoid AOS. It really will be a long time from now for your CR1 interview - especially with the long wait for interviews in Montreal.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Timeline

Please read carefully. Your case has not gone to Montreal. It is still at NVC. The NVC process takes a couple months and then your file goes to Montreal and gets in a months long queue for an interview. The only way you can avoid waiting several more months to be reunited is to go ahead with your K3 interview. Your I-130 will not make it to Montreal before the K3 interview date.

You are right. Sorry, the case has not yet gone to Montreal. It is at NVC. I didn't think the I-130 would make it to Montreal before the K3 interview at all. I was just wondering if I should abandon the K3 and pursue the I-130 since in the end, you get the more permanent 'greencard'. If you think it's best to go for the k3, then I may go ahead and do so. Can I still eventually pursue the CR1/IRI anyways?

If I were in your position, I would take the K3 interview. I wouldn't want to add several months of waiting just to avoid AOS. It really will be a long time from now for your CR1 interview - especially with the long wait for interviews in Montreal.

Okay, thanks for your advice. I may go that route afterall.

I-129F/K3

11/02 - I129F - Touch

11/03 - I129F - Touch

11/04 - I129F - Touch

08/25 - Medical Exam

CR1 Process

I-130

01/11 - Touch

01/31 - Touch

02/01 - Touch[/color]

Timeline

You are right. Sorry, the case has not yet gone to Montreal. It is at NVC. I didn't think the I-130 would make it to Montreal before the K3 interview at all. I was just wondering if I should abandon the K3 and pursue the I-130 since in the end, you get the more permanent 'greencard'. If you think it's best to go for the k3, then I may go ahead and do so. Can I still eventually pursue the CR1/IRI anyways?

Yes, your decision is K3 in August or several more months for CR or IR1. Getting down to the bottom line required several questions, all of which would have been answered by a curren timeline. Please help us help you more efficiently by updating your timeline now and keeping it updated through the AOS process.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Yes, your decision is K3 in August or several more months for CR or IR1. Getting down to the bottom line required several questions, all of which would have been answered by a curren timeline. Please help us help you more efficiently by updating your timeline now and keeping it updated through the AOS process.

So, in conclusion, you think it would be best to continue forward with the K3 rather than abandon it and pursue the I-130, right.

Okay thanks and I will update my timeline shortly.

Thanks again for all your help.

I-129F/K3

11/02 - I129F - Touch

11/03 - I129F - Touch

11/04 - I129F - Touch

08/25 - Medical Exam

CR1 Process

I-130

01/11 - Touch

01/31 - Touch

02/01 - Touch[/color]

Timeline
So, in conclusion, you think it would be best to continue forward with the K3 rather than abandon it and pursue the I-130, right.

No, in short, I gave you two options. Go ahead with the K3 or wait several more months to get a visa. The decision is dependant on your priorities, which you haven't mentioned. For instance, if you're going to go broke if you don't go to work within a month of US entry, that would definitely impact your decision. You decide.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

No, in short, I gave you two options. Go ahead with the K3 or wait several more months to get a visa. The decision is dependant on your priorities, which you haven't mentioned. For instance, if you're going to go broke if you don't go to work within a month of US entry, that would definitely impact your decision. You decide.

Well, If the wait for the IR1/CR1 was only 2 -3 months, then I can handle it. But if it's 4-6 months, it would make it a little rough for me not to work.

If I stick with the K3, then would it still take 4-6 months before getting approved to work?

I-129F/K3

11/02 - I129F - Touch

11/03 - I129F - Touch

11/04 - I129F - Touch

08/25 - Medical Exam

CR1 Process

I-130

01/11 - Touch

01/31 - Touch

02/01 - Touch[/color]

Timeline

Well, If the wait for the IR1/CR1 was only 2 -3 months, then I can handle it. But if it's 4-6 months, it would make it a little rough for me not to work.

If I stick with the K3, then would it still take 4-6 months before getting approved to work?

It's running about 3 to 4 months for EAD now but it could change any time. AOS filings also cost $1010 now. You need to make an informed decision based on your own circumstances and priorities. One would have hoped you did some of that before you filed the I-129F. Of course, the fee for AOS has changed since then.

If you are working in Canada now, and you wait for the immigrant visa, then the only delay in working after US entry is any delay in finding a job. You could have that delay anyway and it could be longer than the difference in the visa timelines. These are all things nobody else knows but you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.