bobbysim

4 month expiry for petition?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Filed the I-129F back in August of 2022.  Finally received notice that it was approved in March of 2024.  I thought they were sending instructions to my fiancé on next step, but he never received anything.  

I have a trip planned for July to assist with gathering all the paperwork and getting to Bangkok for the interview.  But just noticed on the petition it says "valid for 4 months and expires 6-8-2024".

There is a brief note on the website that the expiration can be extended by consular officer, but no information on how to request.  Anyone have insights on how to get this extended?

Frustrating to wait sooo long for first approval, and then be expected to get everything done in 4 months.  My schedule doesn't always allow for travel like that.  Ugh.

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
7 minutes ago, bobbysim said:

Filed the I-129F back in August of 2022.  Finally received notice that it was approved in March of 2024.  I thought they were sending instructions to my fiancé on next step, but he never received anything.  

I have a trip planned for July to assist with gathering all the paperwork and getting to Bangkok for the interview.  But just noticed on the petition it says "valid for 4 months and expires 6-8-2024".

There is a brief note on the website that the expiration can be extended by consular officer, but no information on how to request.  Anyone have insights on how to get this extended?

Frustrating to wait sooo long for first approval, and then be expected to get everything done in 4 months.  My schedule doesn't always allow for travel like that.  Ugh.

Thanks.

it is up to the consular discretion to extend the petition. some embassies do this automatically.

some want you to contact them to request to have it extended.

you would need to contact the embassy that has your petition to confirm with them that they will/can extend it.

the 4 month expiration is a little strange, but they are usually pretty good about extending it without issue.

I haven't heard of anyone having the issue where they wont.

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

it is up to the consular discretion to extend the petition. some embassies do this automatically.

some want you to contact them to request to have it extended.

you would need to contact the embassy that has your petition to confirm with them that they will/can extend it.

the 4 month expiration is a little strange, but they are usually pretty good about extending it without issue.

I haven't heard of anyone having the issue where they wont.

Thank you so much.  Is there a place to look for contact information for the embassy?  Is it better to do via email or phone, assuming there is an option for both?

Thanks so much again for your quick reply

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
15 minutes ago, bobbysim said:

Thank you so much.  Is there a place to look for contact information for the embassy?  Is it better to do via email or phone, assuming there is an option for both?

Thanks so much again for your quick reply

looks like they have a google form (not one to fill out, but to get you the right information on who to contact) that you can go through https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc1_BFhuTI_OkX3XsyHASgla9yQzYKb7bMOkNdGBFE_u5psJw/viewform

but it looks like this is the email they use: support-thailand@ustraveldocs.com

or this local phone number: 02-105-4110

you could try either way to contact them. most embassies from what ive read prefer email though

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, MalloryCat said:

looks like they have a google form (not one to fill out, but to get you the right information on who to contact) that you can go through https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc1_BFhuTI_OkX3XsyHASgla9yQzYKb7bMOkNdGBFE_u5psJw/viewform

but it looks like this is the email they use: support-thailand@ustraveldocs.com

or this local phone number: 02-105-4110

you could try either way to contact them. most embassies from what ive read prefer email though

You're the best!  Thank you.

Timeline
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, SneakyPete said:

Do you have NVC case number? Did you as petitioner received K1-FTP e-mail that approved petition was sent to the Embassy? 

Yes, I have an NVC case number.  I received an email from NVC saying petition was approved and was being sent to Embassy Bangkok and that they would be in contact with fiancé when ready to process, and that the transfer could take several weeks.  But fiancé never received anything.  That's when I noticed on the approved I-129F form (sent in the email) that there was an expiration of 6/8/2024.

/Added/  I just checked the status of the NVC number on line and it shows status as "ready". 

Edited by bobbysim

Timeline
59 minutes ago, SneakyPete said:

That is very good, basically you just have local step left which is Medical, DS-160, MRV fee, and interview. 

Yes, I have 2 weeks in Thailand in July, during which time I hope we can complete everything.  He is not based in Bangkok, and getting all the necessary paperwork (police record, medical, etc) all requires Bangkok visit.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.