Pase2323

NVC requires Police certificate (Merged threads)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi! I hope I can find some smart answers here because I’m very confused 😅

I saw that I (as the foreign fiancée, German) have to provide police certificates from the countries that I have lived in for 6+ months since I was 16 years old.

I did a school year in England when I was 18-19 and lived in the US as an aupair from the age of 23-25. 

Has anyone of you experienced similar circumstances and could help me out how they did it? Do I really have to send the police certificate from England and the us to the consulate next to my german one?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Pase2323 said:

and the us

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

14 minutes ago, Pase2323 said:

Do I really have to send the police certificate from England

Yes, you must obtain one. You can find instructions under UK -> police, court records:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/UnitedKingdom.html

Just to clarify, K1 applicants do not submit any documents to NVC. There is no interaction with NVC besides them holding your petition until the consulate requests a batch yours is in. You will bring the police certificate to the interview.

*** Topic moved from NVC forum to K1 Process & Procedures ***

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Yes, you must obtain one. You can find instructions under UK -> police, court records:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/UnitedKingdom.html

Just to clarify, K1 applicants do not submit any documents to NVC. There is no interaction with NVC besides them holding your petition until the consulate requests a batch yours is in. You will bring the police certificate to the interview.

*** Topic moved from NVC forum to K1 Process & Procedures ***

Thank you so much! I was aware that I’ll have to bring the police certificates to the embassy in my country :) just wanted to mention the nvc phase so it makes sense ;) 

and thank you so much for the information! Does that mean that I’ll just need the one from England?

Just to clarify, is the "Applicant" on this linked page the same as the "Beneficiary" on the I-129F form? If so, does that mean that only the foreign fiance Beneficiary requires the police records (it appears so), or is that something that both parties must obtain?

On 5/6/2024 at 4:39 AM, powerpuff said:

Timeline
6 minutes ago, rks_emelander said:

Just to clarify, is the "Applicant" on this linked page the same as the "Beneficiary" on the I-129F form? If so, does that mean that only the foreign fiance Beneficiary requires the police records (it appears so), or is that something that both parties must obtain?

only the foreign fiance needs to obtain police certificates.
background checks for the USC fiance are done by USCIS via their SSN

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, rks_emelander said:

Ok, thank you. The change in terms from "Beneficiary" and "Applicant" was unclear to me.

no problem :)
on the right side of that site theres a box that says "whos involved"
it does say that the applicant may also be referred as a beneficiary in petition based visas. which the K-1 visa is petition based.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Pase2323 said:

Just to clarify… the link about the „immigrant visa process“ is not for the K1 visa… I got really confused again 🫣

K1 is treated as an immigrant visa and is processed by the immigrant visa unit at the consulate. The process of obtaining the police certificates is the exactly the same for K1 applicants 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline

Hello :)

I'm hoping someone can help me with this regard! I have to order a police report from the UK since I have lived there for more than 6 months a few years ago. 

They need me to attach a passport-style photo.  I am from Germany and saw that the requirements for a passport-style photo are slightly different from the biometric ones here in Germany. 

I don't want to make mistakes but is it essential that I get new photos taken or can I take the ones I used for my German passport? 

I hope someone has experienced this before and can help me out :)

Best regards 

Pauline

Timeline

the passport photos have to be new
either within 6 months or within 3 months. cant remember which
either way they have to be new and in accordance with the US passport photo standards

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.