rwj

Carrying your green card

Carrying your green card  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry your greencard with you?

• Yes, always
    • Most of the time
    • Sometimes
    • Only if I know i'll need it, eg. to travel or for USCIS interviews

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

So I believe us "resident aliens" :alien::alien: are technically supposed to carry the greencard with us everywhere. I have been carrying mine, but i'm a little concerned it could be a hassle to replace if my wallet got stolen, not to mention the identity theft risk. I have LPR friends who keep their greencards at home with their passports. So I was just wondering what other VJers are doing?

Mike (Connecticut, USA) and Rosemary (Blue Mountains, Australia)

NATURALISATION UPDATE:

Nov 5 2008 - sent in N400 to CSC

Nov 13 2008 - check cashed

Nov 19 2008 - received NOA dated Nov 13, says application transferred to Nat'l Benefits Center

Dec 4 2008 - Biometrics done

Feb 9 2009 - Received letter saying interview on Mar 18 2009.

Mar 18 2009 - Interview - in and out in 8 minutes!

Mar 23 2009 - Received oath letter for ceremony April 10. Doh!! I'll be travelling. Sent letter requesting later ceremony date.

May 29 2009 - OATH CEREMONY, Reno. I am now a US citizen!

I-751 UPDATE:

May 2007 - Moved to Reno NV, and so we file at CSC instead of NSC - yay!!!

July 23, 2007 - I-751 mailed

July 25, 2007, 10.47am - envelope delivered to CSC

August 2, 2007 - Check cashed

August 6, 2007 - NOA 1 received

Sept 10, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Sept 21, 2007 - Received 10yGC approval letter dated 9/18 - wow, speedy, and no interview!

Sept 29, 2007 - 10yr GC arrives

OUR HISTORY:

Oct 1 2005 - AUSTRALIAN WEDDING!!

Oct 4 - DCF Sydney Interview, Visa in Hand!

Oct 18 - WE FLY BACK TO UTAH TOGETHER!!!!!! POE LAX

Nov 1 2005 - Received Green Card by Mail

Filed: Timeline

This topic has been covered in great depth here on VJ...... it is not an option of should you carry it on your person... it is the law..

Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Kez

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

With the exception of going up the street to the Quik Trip for a midnight ice cream run, my PR card goes with me everywhere.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

As Kez has said...this issue has been brought up many times and IMHO it's like beating a dead horse. The law says carry it. If you are stopped by the authorities and do not have it on you, there is the distinct possibility that you are in deep doo doo. My husband carries his. He doesn't want to risk being without it and besides, the long process to obtain it only to leave it at home is rather nuts. IMHO.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Where's the option for "never"?

Never is clearly not an option for an LPR, unless you don't leave the country and never go to another USCIS appointment which, an an LPR, would eventually lead to you losing your legal status.

As Kez has said...this issue has been brought up many times and IMHO it's like beating a dead horse....

Sorry, not everyone reads every previous VJ thread before posting.

Edited by rwj

Mike (Connecticut, USA) and Rosemary (Blue Mountains, Australia)

NATURALISATION UPDATE:

Nov 5 2008 - sent in N400 to CSC

Nov 13 2008 - check cashed

Nov 19 2008 - received NOA dated Nov 13, says application transferred to Nat'l Benefits Center

Dec 4 2008 - Biometrics done

Feb 9 2009 - Received letter saying interview on Mar 18 2009.

Mar 18 2009 - Interview - in and out in 8 minutes!

Mar 23 2009 - Received oath letter for ceremony April 10. Doh!! I'll be travelling. Sent letter requesting later ceremony date.

May 29 2009 - OATH CEREMONY, Reno. I am now a US citizen!

I-751 UPDATE:

May 2007 - Moved to Reno NV, and so we file at CSC instead of NSC - yay!!!

July 23, 2007 - I-751 mailed

July 25, 2007, 10.47am - envelope delivered to CSC

August 2, 2007 - Check cashed

August 6, 2007 - NOA 1 received

Sept 10, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Sept 21, 2007 - Received 10yGC approval letter dated 9/18 - wow, speedy, and no interview!

Sept 29, 2007 - 10yr GC arrives

OUR HISTORY:

Oct 1 2005 - AUSTRALIAN WEDDING!!

Oct 4 - DCF Sydney Interview, Visa in Hand!

Oct 18 - WE FLY BACK TO UTAH TOGETHER!!!!!! POE LAX

Nov 1 2005 - Received Green Card by Mail

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Never is clearly not an option for an LPR, unless you don't leave the country and never go to another USCIS appointment which, an an LPR, would eventually lead to you losing your legal status.

Why would it lead to your losing your legal status? Your status doesn't expire, unlike the green card.

(Unless it's a conditional green card, but there's no appointment to go to to remove conditions.)

Seriously, I haven't used my green card once since I got it. I used my driver's licence for biometrics.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

It's a misdemeanor not to carry it. It's debatable how often this is enforced.

C. will probably have his at hand but not on his person once he gets it. When you're working on a rig drilling holes in the ground there isn't a lot of room for a wallet, but the wallet will be in the truck. I don't think it's much more of a risk, identity-theft wise, than carrying his driver's license, EAD, passport and bank cards.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
As Kez has said...this issue has been brought up many times and IMHO it's like beating a dead horse....

Sorry, not everyone reads every previous VJ thread before posting.

That is why there's a search function...to check on subjects like this.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Why would it lead to your losing your legal status? Your status doesn't expire, unlike the green card.

(Unless it's a conditional green card, but there's no appointment to go to to remove conditions.)

Seriously, I haven't used my green card once since I got it. I used my driver's licence for biometrics.

That would be very far fetched, but yes you could even though it is a lesser crime. You are here on a conditional basis until you become a citizen, if you become a citizen. One of those conditions is that you carry your card.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I always carry it with me... we were told at the Adjustment interview that I had to carry it at all times and that it was a $500 fine if I didn't... So I do...

• 2 weeks later...

When I received it it had a letter stating I need to carry it with me at all times.

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry