Superluminal

Canada & US Taxes ITIN question (split)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This may only be a little off topic but I was wondering if anyone here has had to go through obtaining an ITIN for filing taxes with their US spouse. I imagine many of us have spent more time in the US than expected visiting, possibly triggering the need to file US taxes. I was given advice last year by my lawyer to not worry about that for now, but with how long the AP is taking, I am getting worried about being offside with the IRS.

Any thoughts on this?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

This may only be a little off topic but I was wondering if anyone here has had to go through obtaining an ITIN for filing taxes with their US spouse. I imagine many of us have spent more time in the US than expected visiting, possibly triggering the need to file US taxes. I was given advice last year by my lawyer to not worry about that for now, but with how long the AP is taking, I am getting worried about being offside with the IRS.

Any thoughts on this?

I file my tax return with IRS every year b/c I work in USA now, but I have a SSN obtained many years ago when I was a student under F1. If you do not have income from US sources, I do not see the need to file tax return with IRS, but please consult your laywer to be sure.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Any thoughts on this?

I have been filing joint taxes with my spouse for a couple of years now. We got her ITIN number. As you said, she has been here more often than she is in Canada. But we also file taxes over in Canada to be on the safe side. Not sure if we will file in Canada this year since she did not work in Canada at all last year. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cholte cholte said:

Hi,

How does the tax system work for canada. Since Canada has higher taxes (compared to the US), do we just pay the difference in Canada?

Yes. The tax you paid to USA will be used as credit when you file your tax with Canada.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Taxe questions have been split off to this own thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I married in 2010 and filed for ITIN in 2021 for 2010 taxes / used the ITIN till he came in 2015

U Have been in AP since April 2023 so u could be coming close to end of AP (i should not speculate on this but its been a year)

USC should have added u to tax returns a long time ago July 2020 and MFJ would have helped your case

USC can still do 2023 taxes now and add u if u 2 desire it or wait till u come and get SS # and file 1040x to amend the returns

Timeline

In the early days of our Marriage our accountant filed me as 'NRA' (Non-Resident Alien) in the SSN section of my wife's return to the IRS. Given my time in the US during AP I probably pass the substantial presence test, I am trying to determine if I should apply for an ITIN or just wait it out and amend the returns when I get a SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The ITIN is just a tax number.  Apply.  It doesn't hurt.  It can be used in place of your SSN until you're eligible to be issued a SSN and any credit history associated to that ITIN can be transferred to your SSN.  It's 100% advantageous to have that ITIN until you're through with AP.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.